The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

While I'm normally pretty much an eye roller :wacko: when it comes to celebrity endorsements,  actors who think they are experts on everything (like all of us on HB:cheers - experts not actors that is) and get the red carpet treatment to testify before Congress on their pet causes (tell us how you really feel TG:o), I thought Matt Damon said something pretty 'mature' here.

While he likes Biden or Sen Harris for 2020 (that isn't the mature thing I'm thinking of - yes Biden is mature in age but....)  he bypassed the opportunity to slam the current president by saying the following:

On being asked what he thought of President Trump, Damon stuck by comments he made at Davos in 2017, when he said that it's important to give each president a chance, and root for the success of the country.

"What I said then and what I still feel is that I root very strongly for the president of our country. We need him to do well – that's good for everybody, and obviously I didn't vote for him, that's not a secret," the actor said.

Damon went onto jokingly add that the current presidency was "half way through — we could be almost all the way through."

The actor's comments come as the U.S. administration faces a government shutdown that is currently going into its 33rd day and the ongoing investigation into the 2016 election. Jokes aside, Damon states that its important to root for the success of the country.

"I think every sensible person does root for the success of the American president, because that obviously has a huge effect on the entire world."

Oh, by the way my all time favorite movie series are the Borne films.    The car chase scenes are unreal - hard for me to sleep after watching a Borne movie.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/actor-matt-damon-on-politics-and-democrats.html?recirc=taboolainternal

33 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

While I'm normally pretty much an eye roller :wacko: when it comes to celebrity endorsements,  actors who think they are experts on everything (like all of us on HB:cheers - experts not actors that is) and get the red carpet treatment to testify before Congress on their pet causes (tell us how you really feel TG:o), I thought Matt Damon said something pretty 'mature' here.

While he likes Biden or Sen Harris for 2020 (that isn't the mature thing I'm thinking of - yes Biden is mature in age but....)  he bypassed the opportunity to slam the current president by saying the following:

Oh, by the way my all time favorite movie series are the Borne films.    The car chase scenes are unreal - hard for me to sleep after watching a Borne movie.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/actor-matt-damon-on-politics-and-democrats.html?recirc=taboolainternal

I can appreciate Damon's delivery.  But I don't get the "everyone should root for the President" crap.

I rooted against Trump as he tried to repeal Obamacare and make it harder for people to get coverage.

I rooted against Trump as he was going to cut the taxes for the wealthy and raise the deficit.

I rooted against Trump as he was trying to restrict travel to innocent people because they were Muslim.

I rooted against Trump as he was separating families at the border as a matter of policy.

I rooted against Trump as he recently shut down our government.

I'm not going to cry and whine because the person I voted for didn't win the election.  But I'm sure as hell not going to sit here and say, well I guess I'll give up my values and belief system so I can be happy the President accomplishes exactly what I don't want him/her to do....

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I can appreciate Damon's delivery.  But I don't get the "everyone should root for the President" crap.

I rooted against Trump as he tried to repeal Obamacare and make it harder for people to get coverage.

I rooted against Trump as he was going to cut the taxes for the wealthy and raise the deficit.

I rooted against Trump as he was trying to restrict travel to innocent people because they were Muslim.

I rooted against Trump as he was separating families at the border as a matter of policy.

I'm not going to cry and whine because the person I voted for didn't win the election.  But I'm sure as hell not going to sit here and say, well I guess I'll give up my values and belief system so I can be happy the President accomplishes exactly what I don't want him/her to do....

Knowing MD's politics I don't think that is what he meant by success.   He probably means that which makes the USA successful.  I think he was hoping Trump would mature in the job as time when on and as most presidents do - unfortunately this is Trump

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Your guy Obama did this as well 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Waldo said:

You can deny it all you want, but it’s real. 

Is it real that children were separated from their parents while crossing the border into America under the Obama administration?  Yes.  Was it policy?  Not even close.

Trumps ZERO TOLERANCE policy on illegal immigration mandated that the adults be charged with a crime therefore their children taken from them.

Children were separated under Obama mostly because they crossed alone or if there were questions about the adult they were traveling with were in fact their parent.  Most times, there were family holding cells so as NOT to separate families.

This myth was debunked so many times I'm amazed that someone still thought it was a valid point to argue.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, Waldo said:

Your guy Obama did this as well 

If "my guy" means "my President", then he was just as much yours as he was mine.  Same as Trump is my President just as he is yours.  

I guess to bring it back to the point of my post.  @Waldo, were you rooting for Obama to be successful in implementing his ideas to make the country better?

• Plus1 1
On 1/11/2019 at 7:17 PM, Moiraine said:

Tulsi Gabbard just stated in an interview she's running. I watched a few of her videos and I really like her. She's 37, has been a U.S. rep for 5 years, was the youngest ever state legislator in U.S. history, served in the Iraq war and is still a major in the national guard.

I haven't read all the way thru the thread yet (I'm working on it) but didn't want to neglect responding to this.

Read up on her.  Specifically her comments on LGTBQ rights and her meetings with folks around the world.  She's not even getting the support of her respective HI peers.

I think she's going for the Republicans who are more center with her policies, but I anticipate she'll drop out pretty quick.

I'm all about Kamala Harris - and if you haven't heard some of the interviews with Pete Buttigeig you should.  I don't think he'll be a top contender for POTUS but I'm betting he makes a very good case for VP by putting himself in the race right now.  One of the brighter starts in the Dem caucus.  I loved Beto, but this guy is Beto with a plan and focus.  I thought his run for the DNC chair was very strong.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I'm all about Kamala Harris

I have major concerns with Kamala Harris and her record of prosecuting the poor and letting the rich go free. And I want to get money out of politics, but Harris (and others like Gillibrand and Booker) has been making the rounds at Wall St to get money. We don't need another President in the pocket of Wall St.

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I have major concerns with Kamala Harris and her record of prosecuting the poor and letting the rich go free. And I want to get money out of politics, but Harris (and others like Gillibrand and Booker) has been making the rounds at Wall St to get money. We don't need another President in the pocket of Wall St.

Thanks Red - I'll go looking for that background.  When I've heard her speak about her prosecutorial days the division of wealth stuff didn't come up (Q's or A's) so I'll go to learn more on my own.

This probably would elbow out Bloomberg as a candidate unless he wants to run as a Dem.

Pretty concerned could turn into another Perot or Nader. Ordinarily I’d be OK with someone pushing both sides to do better, but another 4 years of this nonsense is pretty bleak.

I’ll wait to see, but if it just turns into a big ego stoking fest for him I’m going to be pretty p#ssed.

5 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

This probably would elbow out Bloomberg as a candidate unless he wants to run as a Dem.

Pretty concerned could turn into another Perot or Nader. Ordinarily I’d be OK with someone pushing both sides to do better, but another 4 years of this nonsense is pretty bleak.

I’ll wait to see, but if it just turns into a big ego stoking fest for him I’m going to be pretty p#ssed.

Let's see if Schultz can poll above 1% before even worrying about this.

• Thanks 1