The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

I personally would say I would be more for an economically conservative/socially liberal party.

I have zero desire to support a party that is so overwhelmed with issues like two gay guys getting married and enjoying life together. (see Republicans during the Bush 2 term).....that they loose site of real problems like wars we are in, infrastructure and budgetary issues.

If a party is more liberal socially, they will (my opinion) understand what needs to be done.  If they then are more conservative economically, they will do what's needed to be done in the most efficient fiscally way possible.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I thought you'd be the reverse as I thought you'd called yourself a libertarian at some point (but I'm probably just misremembering).

I was once economically and socially conservative but have slowly moved to liberal/progressive on both. But I initially became more socially liberal and have only more recently become progressive economically.

Haha. I have said that. I have a lot of libertarian views, but I see the point in taxation:lol: (as long as it's limited)

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I personally would say I would be more for an economically conservative/socially liberal party.

I have zero desire to support a party that is so overwhelmed with issues like two gay guys getting married and enjoying life together....that they loose site of real problems like wars we are in, infrastructure and budgetary issues.

If a party is more liberal socially, they will (my opinion) understand what needs to be done.  If they then are more conservative economically, they will do what's needed to be done in the most efficient fiscally way possible.

^^^^This.

I feel the exact same way.  I'm waiting for that person to come forward as a candidate again.  I'd argue Obama fit that bill, and Clinton and/or Kasich would have also fit.  

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, TheSker said:

There is heavy financial/institutional/economic distrust in Mexico.

A large number of Hispanics are also Catholic, so that's the foundation for a lot of their social beliefs.

So you're talking more about Hispanic immigrants as opposed to Hispanic citizens that can vote?

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have zero desire to support a party that is so overwhelmed with issues like two gay guys getting married and enjoying life together. (see Republicans during the Bush 2 term).....that they loose site of real problems like wars we are in, infrastructure and budgetary issues.

I think those are noble goals; however, I think what we've had in the last few decades is economic conservatism as a crutch to avoid doing what needs to be done.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I think those are noble goals; however, I think what we've had in the last few decades is economic conservatism as a crutch to avoid doing what needs to be done.

That's because people are trying to be conservative both socially and fiscally.  When you start being both of those either liberally or conservatively....I think you get problems.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's because people are trying to be conservative both socially and fiscally.  When you start being both of those either liberally or conservatively....I think you get problems.

I'm thinking of both Clintons and Obama as political figures that didn't do social things because of economic conservatism. The ACA is great example of a right-wing healthcare plan that's economically conservative and was passed by Obama without the public option or cost controls because those would have been too economically liberal.

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm thinking of both Clintons and Obama as political figures that didn't do social things because of economic conservatism. The ACA is great example of a right-wing healthcare plan that's economically conservative and was passed by Obama without the public option or cost controls because those would have been too economically liberal.

Actually, healthcare in general is a prime example of how I feel being socially liberal and economically conservative would help solve the problem.  

If people were open to actually studying the issue....the liberal in the politician would say everyone having access to the healthcare system without bankrupting them personally is the goal.  The conservative side of the politician would be willing to at least look at single payer to see if it really is the most economical way of accomplishing that.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, healthcare in general is a prime example of how I feel being socially liberal and economically conservative would help solve the problem.  

If people were open to actually studying the issue....the liberal in the politician would say everyone having access to the healthcare system without bankrupting them personally is the goal.  The conservative side of the politician would be willing to at least look at single payer to see if it really is the most economical way of accomplishing that.  

I agree with you that'd be great, but I think it's more wishful thinking than reality with the politicians we've got.

If the Repubs are fearful of losing Texas in 2020, it may embolden some others (Kasich - I'm looking at you, even Mitt - I'm looking at you too) to run against Trump in the primary.

Perhaps the Mueller investigation will dictate the event before then and the Republican primary will become a free for all like the Dems.  Now wouldn't that be interesting.  If Trump is outed by the results of the investigation, I don't see Pence as a viable consensus candidate to pull the GOP together.  He'll be stained by Trump and his policies. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/texas-republicans-fear-trump-could-lose-the-state-in-2020

Top Republicans in Texas are sounding the alarm about 2020, warning President Trump could lose the usually reliably red state unless he devotes resources and attention to it typically reserved for electoral battlegrounds.

Texas GOP Chairman James Dickey has delivered this message to the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee, GOP donors, and activists in the state. Nationally, Republican operatives and donors have historically taken Texas for granted and directed their financial and organizational muscle to more competitive regions. Separately, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, up for re-election next year, has spoken with new RNC co-chairman Tommy Hicks, a Lone Star State native, about concerns that Trump could lose the state.

Along with other senior Texas Republicans, Dickey and Cornyn are moving to secure the money and grassroots support needed to withstand a feared Democratic surge statewide in 2020. If left unchecked, they are convinced Texas could turn blue in a presidential contest for the first time since 1976.

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If the Repubs are fearful of losing Texas in 2020, it may embolden some others (Kasich - I'm looking at you, even Mitt - I'm looking at you too) to run against Trump in the primary.

Perhaps the Mueller investigation will dictate the event before then and the Republican primary will become a free for all like the Dems.  Now wouldn't that be interesting.  If Trump is outed by the results of the investigation, I don't see Pence as a viable consensus candidate to pull the GOP together.  He'll be stained by Trump and his policies. 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/texas-republicans-fear-trump-could-lose-the-state-in-2020

That made me happy....and sad that it’s also not being said about Nebraska. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That made me happy....and sad that it’s also not being said about Nebraska. 

Well, Okla is the most red state of them all - Trump took all 77 counties.  Our new governor, who  is a good guy, models himself after Trump - business man becomes chief executive. 

It will take much to move the dial here but I'm hopeful people will wake up as more and more comes out about trump and his russian connections.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Well, Okla is the most red state of them all - Trump took all 77 counties.  Our new governor, who  is a good guy, models himself after Trump - business man becomes chief executive. 

It will take much to move the dial here but I'm hopeful people will wake up as more and more comes out about trump and his russian connections.

Have you seen any Trump supporters leave him or even begin to question him? The moderate Republicans I know either didn't support Trump from the beginning or left him shortly after the election. The hardcore Republicans in my family back in Nebraska don't question him or won't talk about him except to say stupid stuff like, "He tells it like it is!"

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Have you seen any Trump supporters leave him or even begin to question him? The moderate Republicans I know either didn't support Trump from the beginning or left him shortly after the election. The hardcore Republicans in my family back in Nebraska don't question him or won't talk about him except to say stupid stuff like, "He tells it like it is!"

Yep, but in a few years, you won't be able to find anyone who will admit to have ever supported Trump. They will likely just shrink away and never own up to their role in the damage done to this country.