The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

To your first part: Yes, to an extent. It's probably largely determined by your surrounding environment. But also I'm out in the middle of red-dead Wyoming for school right now and it hasn't changed a lick about most of my politics. Really the only thing that's different is I occasionally chuckle about how utterly bizarre the local conservative radio is.

I do think the Republican Party will eventually have to change. Under Obama they largely became the party of white resentment, in addition to the core values you mentioned, and Trump has only accelerated the trend. They'll still be able to attract those core value voters but it seems to me their main message to other votes has for a while now been about social issues - primarily white identity politics.

America is old and white now but will become increasingly less so as we move forward. Eventually that message won't be enough to win when you've alienated enough of the rest of the country.

Off topic here but do you see a lot of cowboy tweekers (meth-heads) out there?  I heard it is getting pretty bad out in Montana but I wasn't sure if it was bad in Wyoming.  

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

My hope, believe it or not, remains with the Hispanics. A truly conservative people. Not universally obviously, but it's a conservitism that is found in the youth as well.

Depends which parts of conservatism you mean, but there's a large part of all the minority groups that are economically conservative. The problem is that conservatism has been tied to the racism of much of the Republican coalition going back the passage of the Civil Rights Act, and the modern GOP is moving towards racism instead of away from it.

There's also a lot of other parts of current conservatism that aren't necessarily conservative (at least they seem arbitrarily assigned to conservatism to me) like: 2A, pro-life, pro-religion

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Depends which parts of conservatism you mean, but there's a large part of all the minority groups that are economically conservative. The problem is that conservatism has been tied to the racism of much of the Republican coalition going back the passage of the Civil Rights Act, and the modern GOP is moving towards racism instead of away from it.

There's also a lot of other parts of current conservatism that aren't necessarily conservative (at least they seem arbitrarily assigned to conservatism to me) like: 2A, pro-life, pro-religion

A little known fact, Hispanics (agson are, not all) kind of racist. And I'm not trying  to be argumentative here. It's just true. 

My HS was pretty close to 50/50 with Whites and Hispanics. I like to think I picked up a decent read.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

A little known fact, Hispanics (agson are, not all) kind of racist. And I'm not trying  to be argumentative here. It's just true

My HS was pretty close to 50/50 with Whites and Hispanics. I like to think I picked up a decent read.

That statement seems... kind of racist. It's one thing to say your experience with the Hispanics in your high school was a certain way, but to project across an entire race of people is too broad.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That statement seems... kind of racist. It's one thing to say your experience with the Hispanics in your high school was a certain way, but to project across an entire race of people is too broad.

Yeah, I fixed that with my response to St.Paul.... Almost edited it after re-reading it after I posted it. It was a  careless choice of words.

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Little known fact:  People that wear MAGA hats are racists.  I'm not trying to be argumentative here. It's just true.  

Every one that I've ever met that wears one has been racist, so I feel like I have a decent read.

Oh, man. You got me there, big guy.

I corrected myself, did I not. And I probably know 500x more Hispanics personally, than you do MAGA hat wearing white people.

23 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

For a large number of Hispanics, it's less about policy than it is escaping corruption economically.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Out of curiosity, @B.B. Hemingway (or other conservatives) would you move to a socially liberal/economical conservative party or a economically liberal/socially conservative party? Or are there issues that you could hold your nose on and vote for a Dem candidate?

Without question, a economically liberal/socially conservative party. Some of the social issues in our country really concern me.

I did vote for Obama twice:D. I have never actually voted for a Republican candidate as President (Obama, Obama, Johnson).

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Without question, a economically liberal/socially conservative party. Some of the social issues in our country really concern me.

I did vote for Obama twice:D. I have never actually voted for a Republican candidate as President (Obama, Obama, Johnson).

I thought you'd be the reverse as I thought you'd called yourself a libertarian at some point (but I'm probably just misremembering).

I was once economically and socially conservative but have slowly moved to liberal/progressive on both. But I initially became more socially liberal and have only more recently become progressive economically.