The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And yet you have no data to back this up. 

He's trying to argue a logical fallacy. Manufacturing job numbers actually did go up after NAFTA was signed, but as a percentage of overall jobs they have been declining since WWII, and the decline was not impacted at all by it's signing.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

that's actually a factual dispute for which you are skiing uphill. 

It's literally not. The data has been shown to you. No matter which way you would like to spin you're side of the argument it's intellectually dishonest.

Was NAFTA an amazing deal, no. It was meh. Was NAFTA 2.0 overall a step up, probably. It's certainly looks like it will do a few good things.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

If it's not sarcasm enlighten me, because I'm not aware of his administration contributions.

How Much of the Transpacific Partnership is in the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement?

The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) provided the first opportunity for the Trump administration to translate its “America First” trade policy into specific treaty design. In this article, we evaluate how radical these changes have been by systematically comparing the USMCA to its predecessors. We find that, first, the USMCA copies 57 percent of its text from the Transpacific Partnership (TPP), which Trump had repudiated and unsigned once he took office. Compared to U.S. treaty practice generally, the USCMA is more of a continuation rather than a departure from prior texts. Second, we systematically investigate where the USMCA diverges from the TPP. We find that USMCA treaty design differences can be grouped in five categories: (1) structural remnants of NAFTA, such as bi-national panels to review trade remedies; (2) “America First” elements, such as tighter rules of origins; (3) modernizations, e.g. by incorporating TPP innovations on digital trade; (4) additions on non-U.S. policy priorities, such as gender rights, promoted by the other USMCA states; and finally (5) changes of a more technical nature. In sum, contrary to Trump’s rhetoric, the USMCA does not usher in a new generation of trade agreements, but it does engage in targeted innovations that are driven by varying policy considerations that include but are not limited to his “America First” agenda.

There we have it. Now Obama can claim 57% credit and everyone wins!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
On 9/10/2020 at 12:27 PM, Danny Bateman said:

@Notre Dame Joe

I was listening to stuff earlier and as the resident Trump supporter, I wondered about your continued support for Trump.

Do you continue to support him because you earnestly believe he's good at his job? Or do you dislike all politicians and think they're all likely to screw you over and therefore you might as well support the guy who professes to hate who you hate?

@Notre Dame Joe I haven’t seen a response to this straightforward question. Did you just miss it or are you avoiding it on purpose? 

Do you believe Trump is good at his job and has the American people’s best interests at heart or is it that other reason?

On 9/11/2020 at 5:40 AM, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

I saw this earlier today and I just can’t believe (actually I can) that he and his campaign staff are this completely clueless. That is one of my all time favorite songs but it is literally written specifically about people exactly like Trump....and it is not flattering at all. I think these people (Trump and his campaign/supporters) just careen through life oblivious to everything.

• Plus1 1