The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

blogimage_naftaempgrowth_040819.png?la=e

auto-manufacturing-jobs.jpg

-1x-1.png

4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

NDJ already said he doesn't believe in data. He believes in anecdotes that support his fantasy world view.

Do you actually believe the US had recovered all the NAFTA auto-worker jobs by 2018?

34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hey Trump's reelection is a threat to public health. You gotta trust the science. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, knapplc said:

Because keeping schools closed will get Biden elected. Just like not playing football.

Do people even bother to think about how that would even work? How does keeping the schools closed make someone vote for Joe Biden?

My guess...a lot of parents are pissed that schools are closed.  The longer they stay closed the more pissed they get.  The more pissed they get the more they want to blame someone.  So if they were on the fence about who they are voting for (I can't imagine many people are on the fence, I would think most people know who they are voting for by now), they might be more likely to vote for the person that isn't "pissing them off".

I can't imagine it will impact much of the voting population, but there are some crazies out there.

But just that fact that she/he, I can't remember who the person was that they quoted, said "schools will open after the election, errrr, sometime in November" is comical.  

46 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Do you actually believe the US had recovered all the NAFTA auto-worker jobs by 2018?

Hey Trump's reelection is a threat to public health. You gotta trust the science. 

I guess when you're wrong all the time you kinda get over the embarrassment of it...

graph03.png

fredgraph.png?g=ws8&nsh=1&width=600&heig

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, yes.

Everyone likes to key on Detroit as the horrible state of auto workers.  Fact is, the industry had grown considerably in the US, but not in Detroit for many reasons.

Namely that Detroit / Michigan and Ohio unionized, but the south is not. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Namely that Detroit / Michigan and Ohio unionized, but the south is not. 

I remember reading a story somewhere about the actual working conditions in non-unionized auto plants in the South.

It was appalling. Like safety protocol and oversight was so lax several people featured in the story had either been maimed or killed by machinery during malfunctions. 

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

I remember reading a story somewhere about the actual working conditions in non-unionized auto plants in the South.

It was appalling. Like safety protocol and oversight was so lax several people featured in the story had either been maimed or killed by machinery during malfunctions. 

I read that too. Still quite a few scary accidents around here in Michigan though. People getting runnover/pinned by fork lifts, machines crushing people, pallets crushing people. Just had a discussion last month with some guys about a plant manager who had a "body count". Not necessarily his fault, but he'd had a few fatal accidents under his watch.

You always have to have your head on a swivel in plants. People are moving heavy s#!t and they have to do it on time or shut a line down. Every minute a OEM plant is shut down is thousands of dollars, hours become millions of dollars.

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, yes.

Everyone likes to key on Detroit as the horrible state of auto workers.  Fact is, the industry had grown considerably in the US, but not in Detroit for many reasons.

Industrial plants become much more automated over time so it's pretty much inconceivable that the USA has the same # of manufacturing jobs pre-NAFTA. 

• Plus1 1

Republicans are just comically afraid of a Trump vs. Biden dichotomy this fall, so they're up to their usual dirty tricks.

First they tried to get Kanye on the ballot in WI and failed to meet the deadline, so they got kicked off and will likely appeal.

Now a GOP law firm is representing the Green Party candidate appeal to the state Supreme Court to get on it after they screwed up a requirement.

It's almost like they're not confident in Trump's electoral landslide!