I don't understand how everyone in America with half a brain can see what's going on here yet nothing can really be done until it comes time to vote.

not everyone. there are trump supporters who will die for him. trump was right when he said he could pull out a gun and shoot someone in front of witnesses and his supporters would still be there for him. he is above the laws and rules of the office for them.

One of the most true statements he has made.

• Fire 3

Those people are right here on HuskerBoard. Flip to the front page and you'll see them.

Trump could get impeached, tried and imprisoned and they'd be blaming the "liberals" and crying for his return. There is no reasoning with that kind of person.

• Fire 6

i think it's too late for america. the old checks and balances system of our former government have now been trashed by this administration.

It's not just the administration. If the GOP senators and congressman do nothing, it's on the GOP. They have the ability to check the executive branch and are not showing the indication that they will.

Absolutely.

I'll applaud the rare few who stand up and do the right thing on this.

The rest will hem and haw about how terribly troubled they are and wait to see if it blows over.

Leadership like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell are just straight enabling this. They refuse to act because it threatens their agenda.

Leadership is derelict of duty.

• Fire 2

i think it's too late for america. the old checks and balances system of our former government have now been trashed by this administration.

It's not just the administration. If the GOP senators and congressman do nothing, it's on the GOP. They have the ability to check the executive branch and are not showing the indication that they will.

This.

It's baffling how spineless these mother*ckers are.

• Fire 2

Posted this previously: https://lawfareblog.com/nightmare-scenario-trump-fires-comey-one-man-who-would-stand-him

Make no mistake: The firing of James Comey as FBI director is a stunning event. It is a profoundly dangerous thing—a move that puts the Trump-Russia investigation in immediate jeopardy and removes from the investigative hierarchy the one senior official whom President Trump did not appoint and one who is known to stand up to power. One of the biggest dangers of Comey’s firing is that Trump might actually get away with it, ironically, because of Comey’s unpopularity among Democrats and on the political left.

We warned about this danger immediately after the election.

On November 10, we wrote that that Trump’s firing of Comey would be a “a clear bellwether to both the national security and civil libertarian communities that things are going terribly wrong.”

• Fire 1

Those people are right here on HuskerBoard. Flip to the front page and you'll see them.

Trump could get impeached, tried and imprisoned and they'd be blaming the "liberals" and crying for his return. There is no reasoning with that kind of person.

There are people who are flat out rooting for autocracy, because they imagine the autocrat will be on their side (they may well be right). It's so amazingly un-American, but respect their differing viewpoints or you're just a hater.

• Fire 1

Funny you say that, commando. You're definitely not alone in that assessment:

Into the Abyss: Trump Fires Comey

Here’s the fundamental issue facing the country right now.

In criminal trials there are certain actions defendants can take from which judges will tell juries they can infer guilt. In a political context, this is one of those moments. We are now hearing word from White House officials that the White House is stunned at the backlash at Comey’s firing. Didn’t Democrats think he was doing a bad job? We’re even hearing commentators speculate that maybe this may have been a huge miscalculation. The White House didn’t realize how big a deal this was. In the final analysis I think this will be judged a major miscalculation – just not in the sense they mean. Frankly, no one is that naive. It doesn’t wash.

There is only one reasonable conclusion that can be drawn from the decision to fire Comey: that there is grave wrongdoing at the center of the Russia scandal and that it implicates the President. As I write this, I have a difficult time believing that last sentence myself. But sometimes you have to step back from your assumptions and simply look at what the available evidence is telling you. It’s speaking clearly: the only reasonable explanation is that the President has something immense to hide and needs someone in charge of the FBI who he believes is loyal. Like Jeff Sessions. Like Rod Rosenstein.

This is a very dark and perilous moment.

Yes. Yes it is.

But, but Trump says you'll be thanking him for this firing. :facepalm:

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/trump-twitter-comey-fbi/2017/05/10/id/789203/

In a series of early-morning tweets, Trump said Comey had "lost the confidence of almost everyone in Washington, Republican and Democrat alike," adding that "when things calm down, they will be thanking me!"

Trump also slammed Democrats for criticizing Comey's dismissal now when they had criticized his handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation.

Trump abruptly fired Comey Tuesday night. The surprise decision came amid the law enforcement agency's investigation into whether Trump's presidential campaign was connected to Russian meddling in the election.

Washington Post article about Comey asking for more resources before he got fired.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/05/10/comey-sought-more-money-for-russia-probe-days-before-he-was-fired-officials-say/?utm_term=.4ff68905ecf8

How Comey's firing accelerates the Russia Investigations: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-comeys-firing-accelerates-the-russia-investigations

The official explanation for James Comey’s firing did not survive the night. Aides to President Donald Trump initially claimed that he fired the director of the F.B.I. for mishandling an investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of a private e-mail server. But that flatly contradicted Trump’s public praise of Comey’s decisions in the Clinton case. Moreover, Trump had repeatedly decried the F.B.I. investigation of his associates for potential collusion with Russia, calling it a “witch hunt,” “fake news,” and a waste of money. By nightfall, aides to Trump were conceding to reporters that Trump was infuriated that Comey would not back up his false accusation that President Obama wiretapped him, and that the aides had been trying to “come up with reasons” to justify the firing for more than a week. It emerged that Trump had taken to shouting at the television when he saw reports on the Russia investigation.

More leaks for the Trump administration to investigate?