Have we really become more sensitive?

My theory is no.

PC Culture isn't a new thing. It's an old thing with a catchy new name that people use for specific types of things they're told not to do.

MTV was banned in my hometown for over a decade starting in the early 90's because a lot of Christian parents called and complained (around the time of Beavis and Butthead).

Parental Advisory stickers started in 1985.

I see a large intersection between the population who didn't want their kids exposed to crude jokes and bad language and the population who wants to be homophobic and sexist when they feel like it.

Christians have always tried to protect their youth from heathens. But they (we) are also a big part of the population crying "PC Culture."

I made this topic in part because I didn't want to annoy the people in teach's "80's movies that would offend people" topic anymore than I probably already have. I think the list of new movies that would be offensive to people in the 80's and earlier would be much longer. How would Brokeback Mountain have gone over? People were offended by Ellen's sitcom in the 90's as soon as her character came out. We've got tits flying around left and right on TV and gay people doing all sorts of "unsavory" acts, like being in lots of movies. We've got beastiality, women pooping in sinks, Doogie Howser f***ing everything in sight. It's like Sodom and Gomorrah out there. It's just that we're not supposed to be a$$hole$ to people based on their gender or sexual orientation. It's real tough living under that constraint amirite??

Now to go further into the movie thing - I like slapstick and crude. I know what it is going into it. But we've come a long way, in a positive way, when it comes to movies and sexism. Now... I'm going on a tangent about Carrie Fisher. I don't tend to give a crap about celebrity deaths but hers I did. I don't think it really dawned on me until she died that I grew up with her and she was a positive role model. I always took Leia for granted. But then I started to think of all the movies I've seen and I couldn't think of another single movie (and I hadn't seen Alien til a couple years ago), especially in that era, where the woman did heroic stuff and sometimes made the decisions for the men. I mean, she was a slave in a bikini for awhile, but she managed to strangle her captor, so it was all good. Most other movies with action have the woman standing atound screaming or looking scared. Princess Bride was great in how it made fun of that so that was another favorite. The point of all that is, while the 80's had some awesome movies, it's a wonderful thing that we're more cognizant in the types of roles that are created for women now. IF we have become more sensitive and it has led to that, I'm perfectly fine with it.

• Fire 7

Thanks Moraine - I like to think we're more aware and accepting - not sensitive. And as far as women go - I think it's been an uphill battle for years to be viewed as strong, capable, admirable 'characters'. Still not equal, but we've made big strides. Would still like to see more characters that aren't a bitchy boss, a promiscuous 20 something etc.

When's the last time you saw a black man in the lead role and not playing a rapper, gangster or slave?

Long way to go and it's not "PC" that's the issue. It's overcoming the uncomfortableness that many have that they are superior to another.

• Fire 2

Ripley was a pretty strong female character in Alien/Aliens. So was Sarah Conner in the Terminator sequel, and Demi Moore's character in GI Jane.

There are probably a few more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head, but otherwise, yeah, female characters weren't given much chance in the 1980s & 1990s to be anything other than window dressing.

I dunno. I think we've evolved into a thin-skinned society where people are very quick to judge others based on a flippant comment. Take the P&R forum for example. I am not a Trump supporter.* Didn't vote for the guy. Think he's a clown. But I see instances where someone makes a statement in a P&R thread about Trump that I don't necessarily think is correct. I shy away from commenting on posts like that lest I'll be labeled a narrow minded conservative Neo Nazi asshat. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit. But not by much.

And it's not just politics. I've seen the same type of judgmental reaction in topics dealing with gender equality, gay rights, violence against women, religion, etc. But politics seems to be the worst on HB right now when it comes to self righteous people judging others.

* I'm also am not a Hillary supporter.

• Fire 2

Thanks Moraine - I like to think we're more aware and accepting - not sensitive. And as far as women go - I think it's been an uphill battle for years to be viewed as strong, capable, admirable 'characters'. Still not equal, but we've made big strides. Would still like to see more characters that aren't a bitchy boss, a promiscuous 20 something etc.

When's the last time you saw a black man in the lead role and not playing a rapper, gangster or slave?

Long way to go and it's not "PC" that's the issue. It's overcoming the uncomfortableness that many have that they are superior to another.

I agree with the "aware and accepting" portion of this. I think the internet has lead to an explosion, for better and for worse, of more awareness of some of these issues.

I dunno. I think we've evolved into a thin-skinned society where people are very quick to judge others based on a flippant comment. Take the P&R forum for example. I am not a Trump supporter.* Didn't vote for the guy. Think he's a clown. But I see instances where someone makes a statement in a P&R thread about Trump that I don't necessarily think is correct. I shy away from commenting on posts like that lest I'll be labeled a narrow minded conservative Neo Nazi asshat. Of course I'm exaggerating a bit. But not by much.

And it's not just politics. I've seen the same type of judgmental reaction in topics dealing with gender equality, gay rights, violence against women, religion, etc. But politics seems to be the worst on HB right now when it comes to self righteous people judging others.

* I'm also an not a Hillary supporter.

You don't comment on the "libs" "Dems" "progressives" labels that people get pinned with and attacked over.

Do you not see those, or do you not think those are worth commenting on? Because I've seen where atheists, liberals, progressives, etc, basically the other side of the political spectrum that you're saying are "labeled," are equally labeled.

So, a thread is started asking if "we are more sensitive" and the OP says NO. But, in doing so, proves that we are.

Many of the movies that are listed in the other thread such as Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, Porky's...etc. found humor and somewhat glorified the teenage sex and drinking of the 80s in teenage culture. Much of that (I'll admit) wasn't the most flattering and uplifting for the female persuasion. At least Revenge of the Nerds had a gay character who wasn't probably shown in the most favorable light.

However, if you accept that and look at the entire movie, those movies also weren't the most flattering for fraternity members (males), adults....etc.

You don't comment on the "libs" "Dems" "progressives" labels that people get pinned with and attacked over.

Do you not see those, or do you not think those are worth commenting on? Because I've seen where atheists, liberals, progressives, etc, basically the other side of the political spectrum that you're saying are "labeled," are equally labeled.

I used politics as an example. I had to pick one or the other. I went with Trump in my example since he's the sitting president.

I guess to avoid any thin-skinned sensitivity to my choice of example I should have used two examples--one Dem and the other GOP? lulz

So, a thread is started asking if "we are more sensitive" and the OP says NO. But, in doing so, proves that we are.

Many of the movies that are listed in the other thread such as Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, Porky's...etc. found humor and somewhat glorified the teenage sex and drinking of the 80s in teenage culture. Much of that (I'll admit) wasn't the most flattering and uplifting for the female persuasion. At least Revenge of the Nerds had a gay character who wasn't probably shown in the most favorable light.

However, if you accept that and look at the entire movie, those movies also weren't the most flattering for fraternity members (males), adults....etc.

Can you do a better job of establishing the bold? Because I'm not at all seeing how it's the case. None of those movies would be seen as more offensive now than they were then, IMO. Clerks II had beastiality. I already mentioned many other examples. Is the bold because you think I found them offensive? (I didn't). The point I was trying to make is we did this same sh#t in the 90's, but also that we still make raunchy, crude movies. And also we tried to censor stuff in the 80's and before the 80's, for example as someone mentioned with Elvis.

Can you do a better job of establishing the bold? Because I'm not at all seeing how it's the case. None of those movies would be seen as more offensive now than they were then, IMO. Clerks II had beastiality. I already mentioned many other examples. Is the bold because you think I found them offensive? (I didn't).

But, yet the thread has discussed in detail being more sensitive to women in movies.

I agree with you Moraine. I think people get a sense that there was more and everything went in their childhood or golden years or whatever. It's always "well in my time" when in reality the same is probably true today, these people reminiscing are just less exposed to the type of culture they are talking about due to growing up and becoming an adultm

Can you do a better job of establishing the bold? Because I'm not at all seeing how it's the case. None of those movies would be seen as more offensive now than they were then, IMO. Clerks II had beastiality. I already mentioned many other examples. Is the bold because you think I found them offensive? (I didn't).

But, yet the thread has discussed in detail being more sensitive to women in movies.

That's one tiny aspect of the topic which you've latched onto and it ignores every other part of the post. Yes there is more variety now for women's roles, but we still make crude, raunchy movies that are just as "bad" as what we got in previous decades. It's a fantasy that we're more offended by them now.

• Fire 1

Have you considered the possiblity that people were always like this, but they didn't start using the internet in large numbers until 15 years ago?