Recruiting Misses and Their Effect on Perception of Coaches

We know the things that cost coaches jobs at NU.

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

3. Putting yourself on probation by not filling up your 85 scholarships.

Riley is checking all the boxes and has 40 years of experience. That is scary.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what he has done with his coaching staff. I just hope that he can figure out the rest. If not...it will be fun when the next search starts.

Well then let's start targeting our next coach; the guy who always wins enough, lands bushel baskets of top recruits, and has never been blown out.

You go first.

But we hired a super experienced coach to avoid these things. That is the issue. People need to stop acting like Riley was some sweet up and comer who was at a small school and was getting his shot at a young age. You love Riley and that is great. I am totally indifferent on who the coach is I just want them to win.

??

I don't think there were any illusions about Riley....especially since most fans had to Google the name just to find out who he was.

That's when they found out he was hugely respected within the coaching community, a better than average recruiter at perhaps the hardest sell in the Pac 12, a guy who pulled off his share of upsets against ranked opponents, but at the end of the day remained an aging .500 coach who had worn out his welcome at his home town school.

Could a guy with that kind of resume find new mojo with a late career challenge at a University with better resources?

Let's find out.

I don't know any Nebraska fan who was satisfied with Season One and Season Two. Mike Riley wasn't either. Season Three should be a better indicator. Season Four will confirm where we're trending.

So the notion around here that we've accepted mediocrity is kinda crazy.

We're the school that fires 9 win coaches, remember?

I thought we didn't fire coaches for 9 wins...we fired them for the "other" reasons.

• Fire 4

Why do fans, after a coach is fired, hang onto one comment or reason why he was fired and proclaim from now on....."THAT'S why we fire coaches"?

It's just as childish as a Pelini temper tantrum. There's lots of reasons why coaches are kept and why coaches are fired. Every situation is different and it's not an exact science to determine THIS is why we fire coaches.

To argue differently is nothing more than having an axe to grind and wanting to piss and moan about it.

• Fire 4

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

I LOVE LOVE LOVE what he has done with his coaching staff. I just hope that he can figure out the rest. If not...it will be fun when the next search starts.

Well then let's start targeting our next coach; the guy who always wins enough, lands bushel baskets of top recruits, and has never been blown out.

You go first.

But we hired a super experienced coach to avoid these things. That is the issue. People need to stop acting like Riley was some sweet up and comer who was at a small school and was getting his shot at a young age. You love Riley and that is great. I am totally indifferent on who the coach is I just want them to win.

??

I don't think there were any illusions about Riley....especially since most fans had to Google the name just to find out who he was.

That's when they found out he was hugely respected within the coaching community, a better than average recruiter at perhaps the hardest sell in the Pac 12, a guy who pulled off his share of upsets against ranked opponents, but at the end of the day remained an aging .500 coach who had worn out his welcome at his home town school.

Could a guy with that kind of resume find new mojo with a late career challenge at a University with better resources?

Let's find out.

I don't know any Nebraska fan who was satisfied with Season One and Season Two. Mike Riley wasn't either. Season Three should be a better indicator. Season Four will confirm where we're trending.

I thought we didn't fire coaches for 9 wins...we fired them for the "other" reasons.

Nope.

If Bo Pelini beats Minnesota in 2014, Eichorst doesn't fire him.

But the fact that angry Bo was the most visible face of the University of Nebraska, that he clashed with the administration, and that he'd been looking for work elsewhere since 2011 sure didn't help his case in season seven.

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

You go first.

??

Let's find out.

Nope.

But the fact that angry Bo was the most visible face of the University of Nebraska, that he clashed with the administration, and that he'd been looking for work elsewhere since 2011 sure didn't help his case in season seven.

I don't think that was the case. Harvey had wanted Bo gone for some time. Eichorst was working on that since he was hired. It was just a matter of getting everything in order.

If Eichorst made the decision based on winning or losing a single game, he's the one who should be fired.

• Fire 2

It is really about time we all get past the Why fire Bo? arguments surely? It's going on three years ago. Now, they Why hire Riley? can continue indefinately I suppose until we either fire him or he retires or dies or something. In my opinion, Bo pretty much demonstrated the 'why' he needed to be gone with his ugly rants and disrespectful statements to the players, press, etc at various times and particularly in that infamous team meeting at the high school gym. I was a big Bo supporter and was excited when Tom hired him to replace Callahan and I continued to give him all the benefit of the doubt and support until the last year or so of his tenure when I was really tired of the sideline behavior tantrums and some of the excuses that become pretty lame. He may have had some Husker heart in the first couple seasons (maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part) but looking back it may well have been simply a case of Tom offered him lots of money and he took it. I thiink we may have had a different outcome had he been hired after Frank was fired but ????

I remain positive about Riley and until recently I have been very optimistic about this recruiting class. But the momenturm that seemed to be present up and through the spring game has all but evaporated. Maybe it was a mirage and we won't finish this class the way we all know we really MUST if we are going to get Nebraska back in the nationally relevant bunch instead on the outside looking in. This fall's game outcomes and the loading of another 8 or 10 (4 star quality recruits) is critical in my view. I know the summer tends to be rather quiet and the real fireworks can be expected during the fall and we are swinging at top level guys. But, the pool of availables is getting smaller and we've had no real good recruiting news for awhile while a couple of decommits took some luster off of the group so far. There is still time and big game wins and top twenty rankings and Big Ten competitiveness will be vital.

We need to use every scholarship we have and ought not be 'wasting' any aty this point. Depth and talent, however we all want to define it, is clearly a major problem and has been for about a decade now. We got to gorge ourselves on every quality player we can possibly find. Then repeat as necessary until the cuipboard is full. The faster we rebuild our inventory, the sooner we can make a run at a Big Ten title. That is the key to really saying "Nebraska's back and we're here to stay!" to quote Bo.

1. Not winning enough

2. Getting blown out

You go first.

??

Let's find out.

Nope.

I don't think that was the case. Harvey had wanted Bo gone for some time. Eichorst was working on that since he was hired. It was just a matter of getting everything in order.

If Eichorst made the decision based on winning or losing a single game, he's the one who should be fired.

After that home blowout to Iowa in 2013 when Bo was openly daring Eichorst & Co. to fire him, the athletic department actually doubled down on Bo, launching a PR campaign to show his warmer, funnier side -- and Bo played along nicely -- while increasing his recruiting budget and assets. There were broad hints that the admins would have preferred Bo getting a more experienced DC and letting a couple assistants go to show he was making changes, but in the end Bo was allowed to be Bo.

Wisconsin may have made the seat hot, but had Bo beaten a mediocre Minnesota team in Lincoln the next week, there's no way Eichorst fires a 9 - 2 coach. And he shouldn't have either.

• Fire 1

Were people really getting on Bo's case about this in 2010? Really? I think people were pretty damn happy then, and willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. At least until the A&M meltdown.

I feel it's worth noting that's the time period we're in now with Riley.

If you ever had the displeasure of reading the BigRedBoard.com you would have seen so many posters that hated Bo right away. I don't think any posters here did anything on that site except me and colo.

It is really about time we all get past the Why fire Bo? arguments surely? It's going on three years ago. Now, they Why hire Riley? can continue indefinately I suppose until we either fire him or he retires or dies or something. In my opinion, Bo pretty much demonstrated the 'why' he needed to be gone with his ugly rants and disrespectful statements to the players, press, etc at various times and particularly in that infamous team meeting at the high school gym. I was a big Bo supporter and was excited when Tom hired him to replace Callahan and I continued to give him all the benefit of the doubt and support until the last year or so of his tenure when I was really tired of the sideline behavior tantrums and some of the excuses that become pretty lame. He may have had some Husker heart in the first couple seasons (maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part) but looking back it may well have been simply a case of Tom offered him lots of money and he took it. I thiink we may have had a different outcome had he been hired after Frank was fired but ????

I remain positive about Riley and until recently I have been very optimistic about this recruiting class. But the momenturm that seemed to be present up and through the spring game has all but evaporated. Maybe it was a mirage and we won't finish this class the way we all know we really MUST if we are going to get Nebraska back in the nationally relevant bunch instead on the outside looking in. This fall's game outcomes and the loading of another 8 or 10 (4 star quality recruits) is critical in my view. I know the summer tends to be rather quiet and the real fireworks can be expected during the fall and we are swinging at top level guys. But, the pool of availables is getting smaller and we've had no real good recruiting news for awhile while a couple of decommits took some luster off of the group so far. There is still time and big game wins and top twenty rankings and Big Ten competitiveness will be vital.

We need to use every scholarship we have and ought not be 'wasting' any aty this point. Depth and talent, however we all want to define it, is clearly a major problem and has been for about a decade now. We got to gorge ourselves on every quality player we can possibly find. Then repeat as necessary until the cuipboard is full. The faster we rebuild our inventory, the sooner we can make a run at a Big Ten title. That is the key to really saying "Nebraska's back and we're here to stay!" to quote Bo.

For once I agree with 84...