Success of Pro-Style O Likely Depends on the Trenches

I'm gunna be curious to see how well Lee is protected. Armstrong had the ability to escape. Will they run as much rollout stuff with Lee?

If they protect like they did last year, Lee is going to have a lot of pressure on his shoulders to make quick decisions because he doesn't have TA's mobility.

To echo others, however, I'm more concerned about the run game than I am pass pro. The lack of a true running threat at quarterback means we'll have to be a little more creative, so I expect to see more bubble screens, screens in general and WR sweep plays if we're ineffective between the tackles.

He then delved into offenses that cropped up in the past 15 years — Mike Leach’s “Air Raid” or the system Urban Meyer developed — that were designed to close talent gaps.

That's probably true of most major offensive schemes. There's the option, of course, and spread offenses. But it's also true of the West Coast Offense that so many revile and say that it requires elite players. Bill Walsh didn't have a QB with a cannon for an arm or speedy receivers that could get downfield quickly, so he developed a system that emphasized short, precise, horizontal plays instead of going vertical so much.

Did people forget what happened with the offensive line last year? Most of them played injured and it was musical chairs the entire year.

Having some depth there now and having everyone at 100 percent will be a huge improvement right out of the gate. At least this year when we have injuries, we'll have a four star sliding in to replace production instead of walk on.

Also, we'll be able to actually pull guards FINALLY and actually run some traps and counters in the run game....I see A MASSIVE improvement on deck for the line this year.

I agree with everything you say. I look at the OLine and think it could be a strength of the team. I like the players in the first two spots at every position in that group. Although I will admit, I've though the same thing about Gates' arms being skinny that some others have mentioned.

What keeps me confused and nervous is, why does Riley keep calling them out? Why have a few former players mentioned concerns about our OLine after watching practices? Our writers are doing it too. It just doesn't make any sense unless they really are underperforming in practice. The only positive-spin explanation I can come up with is that Diaco has the defense miles ahead, which would be fine. If our offense truly is practicing against one of the best defenses they'll face all year, then I'm not worried at all.

Even with Tommy's legs as an obvious asset I felt the o line did a pretty good job in pass protection last year. The interesting thing that I'll be watching this year is when the pocket breaks down or if a defender gets loose behind the los we'll have a guy who doesn't have the legs that Tommy Armstrong had back there trying to evade those tackles.

Run blocking will be another story also.

People on this board, for some reason, seem to just have selective memory when it comes to the OL and what happened last year. They seem to think we'll have a repeat this year. That or they just thrive on drama... Real or imaginary.

Those are the only two options? I thought you were the logical fallacy guy.

Did people forget what happened with the offensive line last year? Most of them played injured and it was musical chairs the entire year.

Having some depth there now and having everyone at 100 percent will be a huge improvement right out of the gate. At least this year when we have injuries, we'll have a four star sliding in to replace production instead of walk on.

Also, we'll be able to actually pull guards FINALLY and actually run some traps and counters in the run game....I see A MASSIVE improvement on deck for the line this year.

I hope you're right, but this narrative (or some derivative of it) is what I've seen around this program for most of the last 10 years, if not longer.

From my perspective, Nebraska has spent far too long relying on the injury bug, a lack of depth, a lack of talent, transfers and missed recruiting opportunities to explain why an offensive line underperformed. We're past due for some sustained success in the trenches.

• Fire 1

People on this board, for some reason, seem to just have selective memory when it comes to the OL and what happened last year. They seem to think we'll have a repeat this year. That or they just thrive on drama... Real or imaginary.

Those are the only two options? I thought you were the logical fallacy guy.

Yeah, sure. That's what it means. Only two options. Totally what my entire post was about.

All sarcasm aside, when something or someone "seems to" be a certain thing our way, it doesn't mean they are... Just means I have an opinion.

Totally agree. Shouldn't read too much into any one part of a post - or any one post in a larger conversion. Good thing to keep in mind.

• Fire 2

Is there any offense that works with a poor OL? And the article suggests that pro-style needs a better OL than other offenses, which I find unlikely.

Yeah, exactly. Every pitch for some "optimal" Nebraska offense involves succeeding in the trenches. There's no two ways about it. This is the game of football.

You can't OL-proof your scheme.

Tommy's legs and happy feet hurt the O line sometimes too.

I agree completely. Trying to block for Tommy was much more difficult than trying to block for a pocket passer who's movements will be much more predictable.

For better or for worse, the oline will know where their QB will be. That also means the defense can be much more certain as well.

• Fire 1

Tommy's legs and happy feet hurt the O line sometimes too.

I agree completely. Trying to block for Tommy was much more difficult than trying to block for a pocket passer who's movements will be much more predictable.

Except when the pocket breaks down...

Let's not forget that many times, Tommy was running for his life when the pocket broke down......because he totally forgot where his dump rout was and lacked the ability to deliver the ball there when he actually did.

• Fire 3