What does the board think of the Five Dollar Bits of Broken Chair rivalry trophy with Minnesota

What does the board think of the Five Dollar Bits of Broken Chair rivalry Trophy between Minnesota and Nebraska?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just curious to see what everybody thinks of it. Seems there is three crowds. The crowd that loves and will protect it's namesake until the day they die. The second crowd either doesn't care about  it or thinks it is rather dumb. And the third, well, has no idea what it is. 

For those in the third group:

The five dollar bits of broken chair was created over a Twitter conversation with @fauxpelini and the Minnesota Gopher's mascot account. Essentially the wager was that if Nebraska won, Goldy would pay faux $5. If Minnesota won, then faux would get to smash a chair over the gophers head (classic faux). Goldy Gopher replied, agreeing to the terms of the bet under the stipulation they could make a rivalry trophy out the broken pieces. Thus the $5BoBC was born. Goldy created the trophy and it was actually played for and exchanged between teams in 2014 and 2015. Last year both universities killed the rivalry trophy. Going so far as to deny its existence.  

Here is a piece BRT wrote about the demise of $5BoBC. Compelling stuff. http://bigredturtle.com/death-5-dollar-bits-broken-chair-trophy-legacy-remembered/

There is a couple of husker groups on Reddit pooling their resources to create a new one to exchange this year. At the very least they are trying to find a Minnesota fan group who is willing to uphold the tradition. Also, it is worth noting that the trophy has stretched far beyond the two fan bases and spilled into CFB message boards everywhere. 

So, my question is, what is everybody's thoughts on this illustrious piece of college football hardware?

46 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

I think it is the only trophy that has an actual reason to exist out of the 3 that have been conjured up since we joined the Big Ten.

This^^^^

I don't care how stupid it sounds, it's still preferable to that stupid heroes trophy or whaterethehell that chunk of junk is we have with Iowa.

I like it because it came to be organically, it wasn't decreed unwittingly by the league like so many other things.

Has anyone found it yet? Last I heard it was missing.

• Plus1 7
47 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

This^^^^

I don't care how stupid it sounds, it's still preferable to that stupid heroes trophy or whaterethehell that chunk of junk is we have with Iowa.

I like it because it came to be organically, it wasn't decreed unwittingly by the league like so many other things.

Has anyone found it yet? Last I heard it was missing.

Some fans are working to recreate it.  They are hoping to exchange it between student groups and/or have it displayed in a willing bar in the respective cities.

• Plus1 4

Highway, you happen to have those Reddit forums where they're talking about keeping this alive? I'd like to help if I could. 

This is probably the best trophy game we've ever had (screw the Mizzery Bell--half the time people forgot we even had the damn thing) and it would be good for the fanbases to keep it going. 

7 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Highway, you happen to have those Reddit forums where they're talking about keeping this alive? I'd like to help if I could. 

This is probably the best trophy game we've ever had (screw the Mizzery Bell--half the time people forgot we even had the damn thing) and it would be good for the fanbases to keep it going. 

• Plus1 2