Game Week

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Are you third from the left or third from the right?

I'm the one in red.  :D

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm going to the game with a co-worker who's Chinese. She knows absolutely nothing about football. Hasn't even seen any on TV.

Gonna be fun.

Took my brother-in-law to a baseball game a couple of years ago. He'd never watched a game, had no idea what was going on, nothing. Top of the first inning ends, teams run off the field, he stands up. I'm like, "You want a beer?"  He looks at me all nonplussed and says, "It's not over?"

Ohhhhhhh buddy o' mine.  No, no, no, no, no.  It's only just begun.  :D

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I'm the one in red.  :D

Took my brother-in-law to a baseball game a couple of years ago. He'd never watched a game, had no idea what was going on, nothing. Top of the first inning ends, teams run off the field, he stands up. I'm like, "You want a beer?"  He looks at me all nonplussed and says, "It's not over?"

Ohhhhhhh buddy o' mine.  No, no, no, no, no.  It's only just begun.  :D

Poor guy. This same co-worker went to her first baseball game this year too and she said it was really boring.

I've always thought baseball should be 3 innings, personally. Maybe 6. That's what we did when I played softball.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, knapplc said:

Best way to enjoy pro baseball is to go in a group, get some beers, and have a good topic to discuss during down time. You're there for maybe three hours  with only about twenty minutes of actual action. You need something else to do.

I gave up on baseball when Cal Ripken retired.  Best play to enjoy it as at home, where you don't need to refinance your mortgage to afford the beer. 

On 8/27/2017 at 9:25 PM, Bojowolf said:

Well, with less than one week to go until gametime, how are the Huskers feeling?

For what seems like the 100th consecutive year, I think the team is feeling confident and the fanbase is feeling unsure. The most comment theme and expectation is that this is a 7--9 win team (closer to 7-8 wins), but there also seems to be quite a few people out there who think this could be a fairly good football team and they could make the B1G title game.

I think the former expectation is supported by a lot of question marks at key positions and a lot of youth in the depth chart. The latter has been buoyed by high praise from an NFL scout about Tanner Lee, an offensive line that has a lot of experience (but has yet to put it all together on the field week-to-week) and a slew of talented wide receivers. People also seem to have bought into Bob Diaco's reputation and his 3-4 defense. One wide receiver was quoted this week as saying he thinks the defense will shock some people this season and that they've been "annoying" to play against in practice, a notion likely developed by the fact that the offense wasn't used to practicing against a 3-4 prior to this season, but also that the 3-4 gives you a lot of opportunities to confuse an offense.

So, it's anybody's guess. I think Nebraska ultimately wins this weekend due in large part to a deeper talent pool.

I think we will keep it real vanilla this weekend. I see a heavy dose of run game seeing which one can separate from the pack, but it's clear the coaches think it will be Bryant at this point. Nebraska ran the ball 51 times to 13 passes in last years opener. We should be able to get after the QB with the inexperience for Ark St offensive line. 

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think we will keep it real vanilla this weekend. I see a heavy dose of run game seeing which one can separate from the pack, but it's clear the coaches think it will be Bryant at this point. We should be able to get after the QB with the inexperience for Ark St offensive line. 

Here's the thing. I would say that sounds correct about the OL, but consistently through practice they've done a better job of protecting the QB than the senior-laden version we ran out there last year. There would be times when when the offense would have to throw the ball after the whistle to give the DBs a look at coverage. A lot of times actually. So there's hope that our QB will be upright or not running for his life across the turf on Saturday. Granted, no one has seen them against another team, but there were more live periods this fall camp than any of the past four falls, trying to season them as much as possible. 

Please don't think I'm saying that the Huskers won't get after Justice Hansen, because this group hasn't been in the fires together yet, but they definitely have potential. 

22 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think we will keep it real vanilla this weekend. I see a heavy dose of run game seeing which one can separate from the pack, but it's clear the coaches think it will be Bryant at this point. Nebraska ran the ball 51 times to 13 passes in last years opener. We should be able to get after the QB with the inexperience for Ark St offensive line. 

I expect our pass to run ratio will be fairly even.  However, it's going to be a fairly simple game plan.

The first game is always frustrating to me.  You get to see your team for the first time but you still don't know much about them.

23 minutes ago, Bojowolf said:

Here's the thing. I would say that sounds correct about the OL, but consistently through practice they've done a better job of protecting the QB than the senior-laden version we ran out there last year. There would be times when when the offense would have to throw the ball after the whistle to give the DBs a look at coverage. A lot of times actually. So there's hope that our QB will be upright or not running for his life across the turf on Saturday. Granted, no one has seen them against another team, but there were more live periods this fall camp than any of the past four falls, trying to season them as much as possible. 

Please don't think I'm saying that the Huskers won't get after Justice Hansen, because this group hasn't been in the fires together yet, but they definitely have potential. 

I think our D line takes a major step forward this year which will also help our rush LB's. We only have 1 player in our secondary that has started in their spot more than once. That and with changing to a 3-4 I think Hansen can make a few plays here and there to keep it interesting. 38-13 victory