What happens when Frost or Trev turns Nebraska down?

soup

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

OK then, it sounds like it’ll be my guy Bill Byrne.

He saw the downfall of our football program and dashed. Why would he return to the same dumpster fire it was before Solich was fired? It makes no sense and I don't see it happening. I agree the next AD might be a familiar face though.

2 minutes ago, FTW said:

He saw the downfall of our football program and dashed. Why would he return to the same dumpster fire it was before Solich was fired? It makes no sense and I don't see it happening. I agree the next AD might be a familiar face though.

That was a very dramatic post worthy of a daytime Emmy. 

Didnt Bill Byrne have ties to Texas A&M?

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

That was a very dramatic post worthy of a daytime Emmy. 

Didnt Bill Byrne have ties to Texas A&M?

No, I don't think he had any ties to aTm. He left because he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to go to a prestigious school with an awesome fan base as Nebraska's. They (Perlman AND Boyd Epley wanted Solich out.) Byrne bolted once the A&M position became vacated. He wouldn't fire Solich. BE has a lot of pull in the athletic department, FWIW and I think he should stick to whatever it is he does and I'm glad his pal Perlman isn't calling the shots either. We're fortunate to have Hank Bounds and Ronnie Green.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FTW said:

No, I don't think he had any ties to aTm. He left because he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to go to a prestigious school with an awesome fan base as Nebraska's. They (Perlman AND Boyd Epley wanted Solich out.) Byrne bolted once the A&M position became vacated. He wouldn't fire Solich. BE has a lot of pull in the athletic department, FWIW and I think he should stick to whatever it is he does and I'm glad his pal Perlman isn't calling the shots either. We're fortunate to have Hank Bounds and Ronnie Green.

I think Byrne did a great job,FWIW, and thought he tried to fix our defense by bringing in Pelini.

I agree some of these insiders should take a vacation. They fired a 10-3 coach if I remember right and we all know the rest.

6 hours ago, Vizsla1 said:

Written this before and will write it again...

We should hire Coach Mike Riley for AD job...dead serious.  Great ambassador for the us...

I say get the best AD we can and then hire a new football coach and move Riley into Billy Devaney's position. 

Why did Boyd Epley want Solich out? I always heard it was more than just losing, can anyone elaborate what it was that got Frank Solich fired?

36 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I think Byrne did a great job,FWIW, and thought he tried to fix our defense by bringing in Pelini.

I agree some of these insiders should take a vacation. They fired a 10-3 coach if I remember right and we all know the rest.

Just now, timmytbro said:

Why did Boyd Epley want Solich out? I always heard it was more than just losing, can anyone elaborate what it was that got Frank Solich fired?

I don’t know but I think we had higher standards back then and he probably thought Solich wasn’t up to the task of Head Coaching duties. Recruiting was slipping compared to Osborne and we started having some blowouts , notably the Colorado game of 2001 where they ran all over us.

They thought pro coach Callahan would be a huge upgrade, a guy who probably wasn’t their first choice and had no business coaching college kids.

They might be going down that road again. It’s hard to tell what the big boosters are thinking and I feel for the Pres and Chancellor....they’re probably as confused as me.

I wonder if this going public was a back at ya move by Trev?  I wonder now if the position has been offered to others who have said "no" and Trev was the backup in play to save face?

The AD at OU?  Joe Castiglione?  That has some wow factor to it, but also some reservations.  Brent Venables next coach?  Venables has ties to OU?

4 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I wonder if this going public was a back at ya move by Trev?  I wonder now if the position has been offered to others who have said "no" and Trev was the backup in play to save face?

The AD at OU?  Joe Castiglione?  That has some wow factor to it, but also some reservations.  Brent Venables next coach?  Venables has ties to OU?

Don't see why Castiglione would be interested, he's already got a better job.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Look past the football programs. Nebraska is the better AD gig. Not saying should/would leave though.

OU has a better men's basketball program too. Those are the only two sports that really make money. Plus they are good at other sports too, pretty much a wash with Nebraska on those.

Nebraska's got more loyal fans on the whole but OU is a better gig.

• Plus1 2
59 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I don’t know but I think we had higher standards back then and he probably thought Solich wasn’t up to the task of Head Coaching duties. Recruiting was slipping compared to Osborne and we started having some blowouts , notably the Colorado game of 2001 where they ran all over us.

They thought pro coach Callahan would be a huge upgrade, a guy who probably wasn’t their first choice and had no business coaching college kids.

They might be going down that road again. It’s hard to tell what the big boosters are thinking and I feel for the Pres and Chancellor....they’re probably as confused as me.

Bill Callahan was never on our radar though. He incidentally fell onto our lap. Steve Pederson literally had to beg like a dog for Callahan to take the job. This was after numerous failed attempts at luring in Urban Meyer, Houston Nutt, Chris Petersen, Mike Zimmer, Gunther Cunningham, among others.

1 hour ago, timmytbro said:

There's rumors he allegedly messed around with some coeds too. Also, he developed a drinking problem due to incredible stress on the job. Seriously, this place can wear you thin. It takes a strong leader to withstand everything.

• Plus1 2