Potential HC candidates not named Frost

First and foremost, yes, I do feel it is unfortunate and in poor taste to already be speculating about Nebraska’s head coach position. Riley has his positives, is still our head coach, and he technically still has a chance to be our head coach going into 2018 and beyond. I for one would be glad to keep him if he were to become successful. However, everyone’s already jumping the gun by discussing the potential vacancy. In particular, there are several threads advocating for Scott Frost. So I would like to make this post in order for us to get a better scope of the potential candidates.

I’ve asked a couple people I know in my work place who the upcoming national head coaches are. These guys are more in-tuned to the national college football scene than I am, so I value their input. These are the seven candidates they’ve listed (not necessarily for the Nebraska job, but in general). And honestly, I only knew of two of these coaches prior to doing quick wiki research for this post, thus admittedly this won’t be very in-depth, so if you have anything to add about these coaches or if you have other candidates in mind, please feel free to add.

20131123_jla_ac4_1296-c3d3c7ef2cf4ed4d6960dbe40945c79b

Mike MacIntyre
Head coach @ Colorado
52 years old
Current salary 2.2m

Mike MacIntyre’s first head coaching job was San Jose State where he went 1-12 his first year and turned the team around to go 10-2 his third year. In 2013, he became Colorado’s HC (boo); most notable from this stint is his 2016 Big XII record of 8-1, winning the PAC 12 South. His specialty is the defensive backfield, having coached them in the NFL. Based on his previous locations, he presumably has recruiting ties to Florida and the west coast. Perhaps worse than being Colorado's HC though, is that he looks like a McDonald's version of Bill Callahan.

usa-today-8891573.0.jpg

Chad Morris
Head coach @ Southern Methodist
48 years old
Current salary 2m

Chad Morris’s biggest achievement is being Clemson’s OC/QB coach from 2011-2014 (Tajh Boyd was their QB for most of this time frame). He has spent the majority of his coaching career as a HC at major Texas high schools, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing (e.g. Doug Peterson for the Philadelphia Eagles has the same background). He took the SMU HC job in 2015, going 2-10. This year they are currently 4-1. Obviously has major, major recruiting ties in Texas.

FrankWilson.png.b15856f0c6bbd89e5b772739d284ff37.pngFrank Wilson
Head coach @ UTSA
43 years old

Wilson has been a coach throughout the SEC (i.e. Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU; also Southern Miss). His most notable job was as LSU’s assistant HC and RB coach from 2010-2015. Last year, he took UTSA to their first ever bowl game (they were 6-7 on the season and lost the bowl game to New Mexico). They are currently 3-0. Want SEC players? He’s probably your best bet. If the rumors of us going after Ole Miss's AD ring true, the chances of this hire go up a fair bit.

Fuente-feature.jpg

Justin Fuente
Head coach @ Virginia Tech 
41 years old
Current salary 3.2m

A popular name that many of us know, but also realize he’s very content where he is. His specialty is as a OC/QB/RB coach. Has coached prior at TCU and Memphis (the latter is where he coached up first round pick Paxton Lynch… though not sure that means much anymore). Won ACC coach last year as he took VT to 10-4 in his inaugural season. He currently has VT as 4-1. He has been over the map, but at smaller places (except in the state of Texas for a four year stint) so it’s hard to say what recruiting ties he has. I would assume his Texas area recruiting is solid, though, because of this and the fact that he’s born and raised in Oklahoma (and played QB at OU).

58657fab5818e.image.jpg?resize=1200,1053

Mike Houston
Head coach @ James Madison
46 years old

Current salary: a bag of peanuts

Houston’s specialty is defense, having been a DC for the majority of his career. Beat Bo in the FCS championship last year. Has an overall record of 62-20. He has been coach of the year in his conference the following years: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015; he was the national coach of the year in 2016. But a jump from the FCS to head coach at Nebraska is quite the leap.

Mike Norvell N5pBLBWDjV1m.jpg

Mike Norvell
Head coach @ Memphis
35 years old
Current salary 1.86

Norvell’s specialty is OC/QB/WR. Has been at Memphis the last two years, taking over for Fuente (he was not on staff during the Fuente/Lynch years). He has gone 8-5 and 3-1. Has been at Tulsa, Pittsburgh, and Arizona State, so his recruiting ties are unclear.

AR-312199926.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&RCRadius=5

Joe Moorhead
QB/OC @ Penn State
43 years old

James Franklin has turned PSU around in a relatively short time, but many PSU fans think he’s just a great recruiter and that his assistants, particularly Moorhead, are the better coaches. It’s not unfair to say Moorhead is unproven. This is only his second year at PSU and having Barkley, the likely Heisman winner, will make any coach look good; his jobs prior to this were Georgetown, Akron, Connecticut, and Fordham (all as OC, more or less). Ultimately, he seems to have a lot of potential but has yet to cut his teeth, and as such is a boom or bust candidate.

Ultimately, after reviewing the “hot candidate” list for if nothing but to do due diligence, I’m reaffirmed that Frost is the best out there, especially for us due to understanding our expectations and culture. Of these coaches, I'm only confident of Fuente's future as a great head coach.

• Plus1 9

That's a decent list for starters.  Some are hoping Bob Stoops would want a new challenge, and I have also heard talk about Navy's coach (Ken Niumatalolo) who learned under Mr. Triple option Paul Johnson and who has great Hawaiian connections.  If Kyle Whittingham or Chris Petersen could be swayed by money they would be good choices too.  

2 minutes ago, bnilhome said:

That's a decent list for starters.  Some are hoping Bob Stoops would want a new challenge, and I have also heard talk about Navy's coach (Ken Niumatalolo) who learned under Mr. Triple option Paul Johnson and who has great Hawaiian connections.  If Kyle Whittingham or Chris Petersen could be swayed by money they would be good choices too.  

Stoops just said a couple days ago that he'll never coach on the college or pro level again.  I could see him coaching at the HS level maybe.  Now, I have no proof to back this up but I really think Stoops is done.  16 years at Oklahoma has to be the equivalent of 25-30 years at another college in terms of pressure/stress/etc.  

Also, I agree with your opening statement that we all need to keep supporting Riley and this team.  I hope we can win the West and make the CCG, and if that happens, Riley will be here next year.  Now, if we lose at least 3 more games, that means the best we would finish is 7-5, and I think anything less than 8 wins gives the new AD a reason for a coaching change.  There is no reason in Riley's 3rd year we should not be near the top of the BIG West and finish with at least 8 wins.  

Well I see a coach who won 10 TOTAL games his first three seasons before turning the team around, a coach with a 4-loss season as his highlight, couple coaches we're excited about after the first four games of this season, a coach with no P5 HC experience, a position coach linked to a star quarterback, and a coach who just lost to Scott Frost. 

Kinda funny after all we've demanded of Mike Riley.

• Plus1 1