Potential HC candidates not named Frost

What HCs are worth $5m+ a year... and are we really willing to give a guy $25-30m guaranteed over 5-7 years; considering our geographic location in comparison to our nations recruiting hotbeds? What if the "Big Name Guy" get Riley results over his first three years, but has a 7 year contract? Are we willing to take that risk at this point?

I honestly don't know. Maybe it is worth the risk.

3 hours ago, timmytbro said:

Frost is the guy, this thread is so irrelevant. Like if we were in court I would object to this all day long on relevancy grounds. 

Points. John fox did not win a super bowl in Denver, lol, Von Miller and the rest of the Bronco D did.

Point 2. Whoever recommenced Josh McDHole, are you for real? who in their right mind drafts Tim Tebow in the first round?

Point 3. Nebraska has an identity, we are a smash mouth football school that cannot recruit five star kids at will. But what we have here is a recipe for success that unfortunately AD's have shoved in the back of the kitchen cabinet. Look at how bad Michigan was until Harbaugh came home. Nebraska is a sleeping power house that is waiting for the right chief to come in and put all the ingredients together.  Frost knows what it takes to win in Lincoln.  

My biggest issue with what has been going on for the last fifteen years is that we have had leadership who willfully choses to be blind to the fact that we have an identity. Steve pederson hired a west coast coach, that did not work, then shawn eichman comes in and hires a west coast coach. It was as if Eichorst had no clue that the west coast experiment already failed here.

Nebraska will not out recruit Ohio State, or Michigan. But we can run a niche system that utilizes the talent to the best of its ability. Every now and then we will get a phenomonal QB and he will take us to the promise land.

Pretty high on Frost...Why are you so sure he's the right guy? Are you sure his offense, the Oregon offense, will work at NE? He's not coming and bringing the option back. If he comes here, he's running what he runs now. You sure those edge based perimeter runs, the sweeps, bubble screens, etc., will work any better in the BIG weather than what they're doing now? What types of teams cause Oregon problems? Physical defenses like Stanford and Ohio State. Seems to me there are lots of physical defenses in the BIG.

The term "West Coast Offense" is like a fallback for some fans. They can't describe it, other than it's not what TO ran, and they think it means the offense must pass 50 times per game. Have you heard Sam McKewon compare Nebraska's offense and Wisconsin's? They're essentially the same thing, with each coach stressing a few different things. Wisconsin's advantage lies in the fact it's developed o-lineman like clockwork for decades. Chryst is benefiting from this. On the other hand, would anyone classify the o-line play under Pelini as outstanding? I'd guess not. Riley is having to work through this part. Is the line as good as it seems like it should be? No. But has it dropped off dramatically from where it was? I don't think so. Under Pelini it's struggles were masked somewhat by the use of tempo, which works when playing against lesser athletes, but not so much when playing against fast, physical defenses (hence the reason NE puts up record offensive numbers against FAU, but did jack squat against better competition - see offense's struggles against WI in 2014, as an example).

The run game under Riley, schematically, can and has worked in the BIG. It becomes about the ability to consistently execute those runs. This is where the team has struggled, and this is where the most improvement is needed.

• Plus1 4

5 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Why, though... I have only seen a couple Det. games (My uncle/neighbor is from Michigan, so he comes over to watch the game since I have Sunday Tic). They seem to be functional on offense.

He's too predictable and conservative.  We always run on first down for a two yard loss, we don't adjust and won't pass when we have the lead.  Riddick, who's an amazing pass catching rb, only got passed to ONE time.  We never take shots downfield when we have a lead (even if it's only by a touchdown).  The Vikings defense was jumping on everything!!  JBC can't adjust.  

I would love to have Teryl Austin, he's the reason we are winning games this year!!

2 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

What HCs are worth $5m+ a year... and are we really willing to give a guy $25-30m guaranteed over 5-7 years; considering our geographic location in comparison to our nations recruiting hotbeds? What if the "Big Name Guy" get Riley results over his first three years, but has a 7 year contract? Are we willing to take that risk at this point?

I honestly don't know. Maybe it is worth the risk.

It's not my money :dunno

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, timmytbro said:

Frost is the guy, this thread is so irrelevant. Like if we were in court I would object to this all day long on relevancy grounds. 

Points. John fox did not win a super bowl in Denver, lol, Von Miller and the rest of the Bronco D did.

Point 2. Whoever recommenced Josh McDHole, are you for real? who in their right mind drafts Tim Tebow in the first round?

Point 3. Nebraska has an identity, we are a smash mouth football school that cannot recruit five star kids at will. But what we have here is a recipe for success that unfortunately AD's have shoved in the back of the kitchen cabinet. Look at how bad Michigan was until Harbaugh came home. Nebraska is a sleeping power house that is waiting for the right chief to come in and put all the ingredients together.  Frost knows what it takes to win in Lincoln.  

My biggest issue with what has been going on for the last fifteen years is that we have had leadership who willfully choses to be blind to the fact that we have an identity. Steve pederson hired a west coast coach, that did not work, then shawn eichman comes in and hires a west coast coach. It was as if Eichorst had no clue that the west coast experiment already failed here.

Nebraska will not out recruit Ohio State, or Michigan. But we can run a niche system that utilizes the talent to the best of its ability. Every now and then we will get a phenomonal QB and he will take us to the promise land.

I'm going to agree with all of this except those first 2 sentences.

We can get back to that identity without it being Frost or a former Nebraska guy.

I'm not necessarily opposed to Frost but I'm sure hoping there are some better, more proven, options if it happens as soon as I think it will.

Frost is not quite ready IMO. He may turn down an offer made this soon and I'm not convinced yet that he's the answer....but he might be.

But I agree, this west coast & finesse sh#t is for the birds. Had enough of it. Need to get back to controlling the LOS and having the ability to shove the ball down people's throats when we want to.

1 hour ago, huskerfan333157 said:

He's too predictable and conservative.  We always run on first down for a two yard loss, we don't adjust and won't pass when we have the lead.  Riddick, who's an amazing pass catching rb, only got passed to ONE time.  We never take shots downfield when we have a lead (even if it's only by a touchdown).  The Vikings defense was jumping on everything!!  JBC can't adjust.  

I would love to have Teryl Austin, he's the reason we are winning games this year!!

I haven't watched their games too closely; but from what you described; those things infuriate me. I especially hate getting conservative when you acquired a lead by being aggressive (The counter-argument to this is ATL vs. NE last SB; but I've seen far more leads lost via the opposite reason).