Will We Hire a Competent Coach?

I wonder if we will replace MR with a competent coach. No one in his right mind would have hired MR. An old guy with many mediocre seasons, no CFB conference championships, and the worst season in Chargers' history. No one who did any diligence would have hired Billy C. It didn't take much investigating to find out how much his Raider's team hated him. Questions should have been asked about his choice for  DC,  how he would handle the walk on program. Will the results be any different this time? It will be very sad if we hire another dud, and half the threads on this board are about why the dud who stunk in the past will be good at NU.

3 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I wonder if we will replace MR with a competent coach. No one in his right mind would have hired MR. An old guy with many mediocre seasons, no CFB conference championships, and the worst season in Chargers' history. No one who did any diligence would have hired Billy C. It didn't take much investigating to find out how much his Raider's team hated him. Questions should have been asked about his choice for  DC,  how he would handle the walk on program. Will the results be any different this time? It will be very sad if we hire another dud, and half the threads on this board are about why the dud who stunk in the past will be good at NU.

Well, we don't have SE anymore so the odds are better that some insane decision like that won't be made.  At the same time, SE's firing was directly and clearly tied to this completely baffling decision to hire Mike Riley, so hopefully the new AD will realize that his whole job pretty much rides on hiring the best coach he can get, not some nice guy who is just slightly over .500 for his career...

7 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

I don't care who it is as long as we completely change our offense and defense to the point that the "square peg, round hole" tradition at Nebraska continues.

Its important to maintain your traditions.

Well, I kind see what he's saying. If you look at where the former coaches are now, they aren't exactly lighting the CFB world on fire. Solich is at Ohio, Callahan is bouncing around the NFL as an OLine coach, and Pelini is coaching/screaming at the Penguins. Riley, assuming he's done in November, probably won't find another head coaching gig in FBS. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the point is we need someone that does so well in Lincoln, if he leaves, it's for an head-coaching job in the NFL.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Well, I kind see what he's saying. If you look at where the former coaches are now, they aren't exactly lighting the CFB world on fire. Solich is at Ohio, Callahan is bouncing around the NFL as an OLine coach, and Pelini is coaching/screaming at the Penguins. Riley, assuming he's done in November, probably won't find another head coaching gig in FBS. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think the point is we need someone that does so well in Lincoln, if he leaves, it's for an head-coaching job in the NFL.

Solich is Ohio’s all time wins leader, I think.  Bo played in the title game last year and could be back this year.  BC probably just wants to be a line coach

Just now, teachercd said:

Solich is Ohio’s all time wins leader, I think.  Bo played in the title game last year and could be back this year.  BC probably just wants to be a line coach

Ohio: Middle of the road MAC squad. YSU: FCS. Why didn't any FBS school snatch up the defensive genius that is Bo Pelini if he's THAT great? Do you think Callahan could be a successful FBS coach? I don't.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Ohio: Middle of the road MAC squad. YSU: FCS. Why didn't any FBS school snatch up the defensive genius that is Bo Pelini if he's THAT great? Do you think Callahan could be a successful FBS coach? I don't.

No, I don’t.  But it’s not like Solich is horrible.  His body of work is average to above average.  And sure bo is at a lower level but he is still winning.  I don’t think he is great, but he has a decent career record.  I have no idea why D1 schools have not snatched him up...maybe they have contacted him and he said he isn’t interested.