Will We Hire a Competent Coach?

17 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

We need the dream team.  I'm talking

AD - Whoever LSU's is. He's great at hiring coaches.

HC -Jim Tressel - He's probably a bit rusty at cheating but we can give him time he'll come back.

BB - Rick Patino assuming he beats the jail rap

PR -Bring Scaramucci out of retirement 

We would make Bo blush

Why no Petrino?

33 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, I don’t.  But it’s not like Solich is horrible.  His body of work is average to above average.  And sure bo is at a lower level but he is still winning.  I don’t think he is great, but he has a decent career record.  I have no idea why D1 schools have not snatched him up...maybe they have contacted him and he said he isn’t interested.  

anyone ever consider that Bo just wanted to go back home coach there and make Perlman pay him millions to do that?

I'd say that's the ultimate FU to Perlman and Eickhorst

• Plus1 3

I'd take a coach with a successful system that he knows forwards and backwards.  One said coach can recruit kids for that is flexible enough to use the talent on hand.  One that also embraces the culture of Nebraska.

You look around the landscape of college football say the past 20 years and you see programs that through coaching and recruitment have become powerhouses/competitors for the conference.  They've embraced an identity, recruited to it and developed players to it.  We have missed this since Solich was fired IMO. (I know recruiting and other issues, but established system/culture).  We just need to find the guy that can do this.  Look at their track record, prior stops, pedigree, coaching tree etc...Prior to Riley being hired, this board named several great candidates that fit the bill.  SE didn't even swing on this hire, he just missed...

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

No, I don’t.  But it’s not like Solich is horrible.  His body of work is average to above average.  And sure bo is at a lower level but he is still winning.  I don’t think he is great, but he has a decent career record.  I have no idea why D1 schools have not snatched him up...maybe they have contacted him and he said he isn’t interested.  

Solich and Bo are exactly where they need to be to be successful. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Maybe they won't touch him with a 10 foot pole?

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Ohio: Middle of the road MAC squad. YSU: FCS. Why didn't any FBS school snatch up the defensive genius that is Bo Pelini if he's THAT great? Do you think Callahan could be a successful FBS coach? I don't.

I think the reason no FBS team has taken Pelini is that he wants to be a HC, not a DC.  And there are two primary roles that an FBS HC plays - 1 - putting a winning football team on the field 2 - being a positive ambassador for the school.  Pelini is decent enough at #1 to be a HC at a lesser FBS school, but he is godawful at #2.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, neepster said:

I think the reason no FBS team has taken Pelini is that he wants to be a HC, not a DC.  And there are two primary roles that an FBS HC plays - 1 - putting a winning football team on the field 2 - being a positive ambassador for the school.  Pelini is decent enough at #1 to be a HC at a lesser FBS school, but he is godawful at #2.

Agreed - I think it is telling that of the past 3 coaches fired by Nebraska none have landed on their feet at another Power 5 as a head coach (or in the NFL as a head coach). I think people of the camp that "we've fired too soon" need to realize this.