Mobile QB - Requirement in CFB?

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Interesting point from Sean Callahan today on this subject.  He noted that finding quality tackles for a pro style system is very hard.  He noted that Osborne had a lot of success by running a system that played to his linemen's strengths.  Noted that even some of the best Pipeline tackles - mentioned Wiegert specifically - played guard in the NFL.

Same w/ Alabama's big-time (at least they were considered big-time at draft time) left tackles. They seemed to have transitioned into pretty solid NFL guards or Right Tackles. S.C. has a very good point. It's probably just as hard to find a really good 'pro-style' LT as it is to find a really good 'pro-style' QB. Hate to say it, but for non-power recruiting programs, it may not even be worth trying to run a traditional pro-style offense.

Again, every team wants a mobile quarterback, especially in the NFL, but a mobile quarterback isn't necessarily a dual threat quarterback, and a pro-style quarterback isn't a "statue." 

Nebraska has pursued great athletes who got to be QB in high school because they were great athletes. Most college teams want to convert them to dbs, rbs or wrs, but Nebraska has the recruiting edge if we promise them a chance to play QB in an offense that doesn't put a high premium on passing.

The difference is, the great mobile quarterbacks we're talking about today were all pretty good passers, in offenses that still threw the ball 30+ times a game. 

It's cool to have a quarterback who knows how to stay cool in the pocket, and cool to have quarterback whose not afraid to run when needed. They shouldn't be two different quarterbacks. 

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, jessica0 said:

At Nebraska we have learned that a running QB is a better recipe for success. 

I feel like we've learned the exact opposite every year with a running QB when our starter gets hurt.

Like @teachercd said above, we just need the guy to be a bit mobile. I prefer a passer with a touch of mobility like Berringer or Ganz.

I think that there is still room for dual threat Qb's on any team and in any system.  Why recruit one dimensional Qb's.  Against most college defenses your QB can gain positive yards running the ball on broken plays.  My logic was always recruit athletes.  If they are not going to work out as a QB, they might work out as a WR, Cb, or Safety.  Too me we are missing athletes on this team that can do multiple things.

11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I feel like we've learned the exact opposite every year with a running QB when our starter gets hurt.

Like @teachercd said above, we just need the guy to be a bit mobile. I prefer a passer with a touch of mobility like Berringer or Ganz.

And I like my WRs who can catch with just a touch of elusiveness. I also prefer RBs with power but just a hint of speed. Just enough speed to pick up a first down in certain situations.

Hopefully you catch the sarcasm

1 minute ago, unlfan said:

That's fine. The question was "is it a requirement". The answer is clearly no.

To be fair, I understand it's not a "requirement", but unless you can recruit top linemen, top WR's, and top RB's, it's pretty much a requirement.  The margin for error at the other offensive positions with a statue QB is so slim.

This is what I liked about Tristan Gebbia in the spring game: he's a passing quarterback who can stand in the pocket and throw an accurate ball. But if you're foolish enough to leave him open field, he'll just run for the first down marker, get eleven yards, and go out of bounds untouched. 

At that point it's not about running and passing, it's about decision making and instinct. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is what I liked about Tristan Gebbia in the spring game: he's a passing quarterback who can stand in the pocket and throw an accurate ball. But if you're foolish enough to leave him open field, he'll just run for the first down marker, get eleven yards, and go out of bounds untouched. 

At that point it's not about running and passing, it's about decision making and instinct. 

He was playing against the Husker defense in the spring game. I mean, who doesn't look good against them?

• Plus1 4
13 hours ago, unlfan said:

Definitely not a requirement. Look at the QBs Alabama has won titles with. Cement footed statues.

Good point... maybe 'requirement' is too strong a word. But like others mentioned; It is VERY difficult to find a QB w/ great accuracy & decision making consistently AND consistently build lines that have the pass-blocking tools to run a NFL-type offense.

It's simply more efficient for the majority of teams to find a QB w/ 'good' accuracy (maybe even mediocre, if he is REALLY dangerous w/ his feet) but proper decision making abilities that has no problem using his feet (and is encouraged to use his feet to add stress to the D); then focus on building a big, strong line w/ a more simplistic power/man blocking scheme or even a quick spread attack, in which the line won't need to pass protect for extended periods of time.

He doesn't need to have Martinez, Kap, Denard Robinson, or RGIII speed, but the athletic ability of a Colt McCoy, Luck, Mayfield, Manziel, Russ Wilson, or that Flutie guy on the Dr. Pepper commercial.