What Could Have Been....

Mavric

I don't hold it against Osborne for retiring from coaching when he did.  Yes, it would have been great to have him stick around another 5-10 years, but he wanted to try doing other things while he was still relatively young.  It's unfortunate that NU wasn't able to continue the dominance (or even something close to that) with all the coaches and AD's that have been around since then, but I'm not going to be "upset" with TO.

• Plus1 1

Solich was a great head coach.  Who wouldn't be happy with top ten finishes half the time, NC game appearance, Heisman winner, and a conference championship now?  Solich and TO both took over NC dynasties, and Solich accomplished more in his first 6 years than TO did in his first 6.  

If Pederson hadn't screwed the pooch we would've been the only school in history with three consecutive 100 win coaches, and we'd likely be grooming our 4th to take over soon.

• Plus1 5

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't hold it against Osborne for retiring from coaching when he did.  Yes, it would have been great to have him stick around another 5-10 years, but he wanted to try doing other things while he was still relatively young.  It's unfortunate that NU wasn't able to continue the dominance (or even something close to that) with all the coaches and AD's that have been around since then, but I'm not going to be "upset" with TO.

No kidding remember he had to have Heart surgery during that last season too.  He had every right to leave it in the capable hands of Coach Solich.

Edit.. Procedure not Surgery..

PS.  I think many Huskers fans thought they were have a heart attack during the Missouri game that season!

Edited by Warrior
clarify
  • Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Solich accomplished more in his first 6 years than TO did in his first 6.  

Uh, nope.  The only way that Solich was better than Osborne is that he won a outright conference title.

Tom 1st 6 years

Overall 55-16-2 .775

Conference 26-11-1 .703

2-4 in bowls

2 co-Big 8 titles

AP finishes 7, 8, 9, 9, 12, 8

Record vs AP top 25 15-9 .625

Frank 1st 6 years

Overall 58-19 .753

Conference 33-15 .688

2-3 in bowls

1 Big 12 title / 1 outright division title / 2 co-divison titles

AP finishes 19, 3, 8, 8, unranked, 19

Record vs AP top 25 11-13 .458

• Plus1 4

I remember hearing Tom say in an interview that he really didn't want to leave coaching and wished he would've stayed at least one more year.  But I think his family (Nancy especially) had had enough.  Coach Solich got shafted by Steve Pederson.  Frankie did everything they asked him to do and he still got fired!  Oh the road not taken!

7 minutes ago, Warrior said:

No kidding remember he had to have Heart surgery during that last season too.  He had every right to leave it in the capable hands of Coach Solich.

Edit.. Procedure not Surgery..

PS.  I think many Huskers fans thought they were have a heart attack during the Missouri game that season!

T.O. did have heart surgery in 1985 (at age 47) to clear 90-95% blockage in a major artery, so I am sure he and Nancy did have some health concerns of him coaching into his 60s.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/02/05/Nebraska-football-coach-Tom-Osborne-underwent-four-hours-of/4929476427600/

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Uh, nope.  The only way that Solich was better than Osborne is that he won a outright conference title.

Tom 1st 6 years

Overall 55-16-2 .775

Conference 26-11-1 .703

2-4 in bowls

2 co-Big 8 titles

AP finishes 7, 8, 9, 9, 12, 8

Record vs AP top 25 15-9 .625

Frank 1st 6 years

Overall 58-19 .753

Conference 33-15 .688

2-3 in bowls

1 Big 12 title / 1 outright division title / 2 co-divison titles

AP finishes 19, 3, 8, 8, unranked, 19

Record vs AP top 25 11-13 .458

You left out Heisman winner and NC Game appearance under Solich's accomplishments.  Even if we give TO the edge, it's only a very slight edge.

2 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

You left out Heisman winner and NC Game appearance under Solich's accomplishments.  Even if we give TO the edge, it's only a very slight edge.

I remember not wanting to go to that Rose Bowl because it didn't feel earned. I honestly thought it would curse us. Obviously I couldn't see the future.