What Could Have Been....

Mavric

3 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Um, who would be our third best HC if not Frank?  Numbers would support him being exactly that.  Pelini?  He will never rate, he never was committed to Husker nation.  

If you're not familiar, do some research on pre-WW2 Nebraska football. Bob Devaney was not the first great Cornhusker football coach. Rather, he was the one that revived the program after over twenty years in the darkness. (Demographics are a big part of collective memory - Baby Boomers grew up with Devaney, but by definition they're too young to remember the pre-WW2 era of Nebraska football.)

Ewald O. Stiehm and Walter C. Booth had higher win percentages than Devaney and Osborne. Dana X. Bible coached Nebraska for eight seasons and won conference championships in six of them. Fielding H. Yost, Eddie N. Robinson, and Biff Jones are all College Football Hall of Fame coaches. It was when Biff Jones left to serve in WW2 that things went downhill for the Cornhuskers, and it didn't pick back up until Devaney was hired two decades later.

Edited by Toe
20 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Solich, 61, appeared to be passed out when police found him
Saturday night in his car, which was facing the wrong direction on
a one-way street and in drive, according to a police report.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=2240823

BTW- I like Frank but this pretending he was a choir boy and irreplaceable HC needs to stop. The problem wasn’t that he was fired but rather with who and how he was replaced. Pederson went outside the family and totally changed direction which resulted in the dismantling of the machine.

That was after he was hired by Ohio.  You claim it happened before he was fired, and insinuate that it's what caused him to be fired.  Do you have any proof of your claims or not?

19 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

That was after he was hired by Ohio.  You claim it happened before he was fired, and insinuate that it's what caused him to be fired.  Do you have any proof of your claims or not?

Lack of evidence does not mean it didn't happen.

Just like you're lacking evidence that Peterson made it all up.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Lack of evidence does not mean it didn't happen.

Just like you're lacking evidence that Peterson made it all up.

Either he did or he didn't do unsavory immoral things to cause him to get fired.  That's the claim.  He needs to prove it or take it to Rumorville.  I can't prove a negative.  

57 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Doctor Tom had the right to do what he wanted to do and retire from coaching. He has given enough to Nebraska. I submit that he is the most important person in the history of the state. 

(And I still can't believe he lost the GOP primary to Dave Heinaman.)

Tom Osborne has done many great thins for and on behalf of the State of Nebraska and its people.   No doubt about it but the most important person in the history of the state?   That may be a reach.   There have been many very important people in the state's histoy.   Tom did many fine things for his alma mater, Hastings College, but he wouldn't even be the most important person in that college's history arguably.  He may be the most important person in the history of Nebraska football but I suppose some could debate that too.  But the entire state?

As for his loss in the primary, I suspect his appointment of Frank cost him the governorship.   He hadn't made many mistakes over his many years in the public domain but that one hurt no doubt.  Politically speaking, he should have run against Ben "Cornhusker Kickback" Nelson instead of running in the 3rd district for the House seat.   That would have given him the chance to really have made a big difference in the State and the nation.  In my opinion.       

26 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Either he did or he didn't do unsavory immoral things to cause him to get fired.  That's the claim.  He needs to prove it or take it to Rumorville.  I can't prove a negative.  

We've been around this merry-go-round a thousand times already.  Nothing is gained by insisting on arguing it again.  

No one has any evidence to prove it or prove it was invented.  It happened 15 years ago.  People will believe what they want to believe.  It has absolutely no bearing on anything now.

Let it drop.

• Plus1 3
19 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Um, who would be our third best HC if not Frank?  Numbers would support him being exactly that.  Pelini?  He will never rate, he never was committed to Husker nation.  

Not sure why you are quoting me the discussion was never about who was our third best coach - it was about was frank a great coach at NU. 

We have had a lot of coaches since the late 1800's and several that are comparable to FS.  If you want to create a new thread have at it - just don't put words in my mouth.

22 hours ago, Toe said:

If you're not familiar, do some research on pre-WW2 Nebraska football. Bob Devaney was not the first great Cornhusker football coach. Rather, he was the one that revived the program after over twenty years in the darkness. (Demographics are a big part of collective memory - Baby Boomers grew up with Devaney, but by definition they're too young to remember the pre-WW2 era of Nebraska football.)

Ewald O. Stiehm and Walter C. Booth had higher win percentages than Devaney and Osborne. Dana X. Bible coached Nebraska for eight seasons and won conference championships in six of them. Fielding H. Yost, Eddie N. Robinson, and Biff Jones are all College Football Hall of Fame coaches. It was when Biff Jones left to serve in WW2 that things went downhill for the Cornhuskers, and it didn't pick back up until Devaney was hired two decades later.

Holy Sh!!t were digging up civil war era coaches to disprove that Frank Solich was a good coach here in an era of college football that was changing.  Its ok to say that Frank was a decent coach in the modern era of Nebraska football.  Who cares about Big 6 and Mo Valley days of coaching Nebraska!  Bible also coached A&M to greatness back in the day.  I think what was meant and what was said is that Frank is maybe our 3rd best modern day coach behind Devaney and Ozzy.  Won a Big 12 championship and played for a National title in his tenure which was 6 years.  This fact is still haunting many around this state.  It makes everyone very defensive.

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

We've been around this merry-go-round a thousand times already.  Nothing is gained by insisting on arguing it again.  

No one has any evidence to prove it or prove it was invented.  It happened 15 years ago.  People will believe what they want to believe.  It has absolutely no bearing on anything now.

Let it drop.

If we've all been the merry go round so many times, why are we still insisting that the burden of proof works equally both ways?

I have it on good authority that Tom Osborne has stolen millions of dollars in tax fraud and also kicked a dog once. Prove it didn't happen.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

If we've all been the merry go round so many times, why are we still insisting that the burden of proof works equally both ways?

I have it on good authority that Tom Osborne has stolen millions of dollars in tax fraud and also kicked a dog once. Prove it didn't happen.

I guess I don't follow you.  I didn't say he had to prove it didn't happen.  I said he didn't have any evidence that the whole thing was invented by Peterson, which is what he was claiming.

So, yes, I think if he's going to insist that those he disagree with show evidence to "prove" their position, it's fair to ask him to show evidence to prove his.