What Could Have Been....

Mavric

On 10/21/2017 at 8:42 AM, huskered17 said:

You pretty much nailed it. Don't forget we had some darn good teams in the 60's that might fit in there. Solich played on a couple.

GBR!!!

Yes, but that goes beyond my time.  I was in 8th grade when I watched the Husker's win the 1st championship against LSU.  The earliest game that I remember.  But you are correct, there were a couple of teams that were 1 win away from NC. 

Osborne was always ahead of the curve when it came to college football. I remember prior to the 1995 OB vs Miami, he was insisting that there should be a playoff system because had Nebraska won and Penn State beat Oregon the following night in the Rose Bowl, Nebraska would win the NC outright which is exactly what happened. People (media and coaches) scoffed at his ideas.

So, Osborne was always thinking ahead. If he didn't retire in 1997, I imagine offensively he would slowly gravitate towards a Power Spread RPO type of offense. I think most of the defensive staff would have been retained and we saw that happen with Solich up until 2002 happened. With Tom as HC, 7-7 doesn't occur. Neither does Bo Pelini. Maybe Frost is on his staff or Turner Gill is groomed to be the next guy instead. I'm sure Tom thinks about the "What If?" Scenario as all humans do. We could have been in Frost or Gill's 10th year by now.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Tom Osborne has done many great thins for and on behalf of the State of Nebraska and its people.   No doubt about it but the most important person in the history of the state?   That may be a reach.   There have been many very important people in the state's histoy.   Tom did many fine things for his alma mater, Hastings College, but he wouldn't even be the most important person in that college's history arguably.  He may be the most important person in the history of Nebraska football but I suppose some could debate that too.  But the entire state?

As for his loss in the primary, I suspect his appointment of Frank cost him the governorship.   He hadn't made many mistakes over his many years in the public domain but that one hurt no doubt.  Politically speaking, he should have run against Ben "Cornhusker Kickback" Nelson instead of running in the 3rd district for the House seat.   That would have given him the chance to really have made a big difference in the State and the nation.  In my opinion.       

Wow, just wow to the bolded.  This had absolutely zero to do with it.  TO made some references to irrigation and what needed to be done with regards to the lawsuit with KS.  His comments were placed in a statewide newspaper.  They were taken out of context, but they were there for all to see.  He lost in almost all of the western districts because of these comments.  We might be a rare breed when it comes to football fans, but most of the voters out here were voting their livelihood over their fandom.  I would venture to guess in most of the districts where TO lost that most voters actually have a favorable opinion of Frank. 

• Plus1 1

Once Tom's recruits dried up, Frank's success began going by the wayside. 

3 hours ago, FTW said:

Osborne was always ahead of the curve when it came to college football. I remember prior to the 1995 OB vs Miami, he was insisting that there should be a playoff system because had Nebraska won and Penn State beat Oregon the following night in the Rose Bowl, Nebraska would win the NC outright which is exactly what happened. People (media and coaches) scoffed at his ideas.

So, Osborne was always thinking ahead. If he didn't retire in 1997, I imagine offensively he would slowly gravitate towards a Power Spread RPO type of offense. I think most of the defensive staff would have been retained and we saw that happen with Solich up until 2002 happened. With Tom as HC, 7-7 doesn't occur. Neither does Bo Pelini. Maybe Frost is on his staff or Turner Gill is groomed to be the next guy instead. I'm sure Tom thinks about the "What If?" Scenario as all humans do. We could have been in Frost or Gill's 10th year by now.

I believe Tom is quoted somewhere as saying that his offense would have evolved into something resembling what Urban ran at Florida in the mid 2000s, but I can't find it ATM. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Once Tom's recruits dried up, Frank's success began going by the wayside. 

I believe Tom is quoted somewhere as saying that his offense would have evolved into something resembling what Urban ran at Florida in the mid 2000s, but I can't find it ATM. 

I want to say it was an old OWH interview and I think it was before he became AD in 2007.

On October 21, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Isle of View said:

All false propaganda propagated by Pederson and his minions.  I hope Solich writes an autobiography some day.

Not false. Unfortunately true. Long predating Pederson. Solich was a good coach with off field liabilities. If Nebraska had made the terrible mistake some claim, Frank would have been scooped up in one of the 100 P5 openings over the last 15 years. If he writes an autobiography about how he didnt drink too much and never chased coeds, it will sell zero copies. Not happening.

And with this post i'm forced to admit you really are CM Husker returned from purgatory.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not false. Unfortunately true. Long predating Pederson. Solich was a good coach with off field liabilities. If Nebraska had made the terrible mistake some claim, Frank would have been scooped up in one of the 100 P5 openings over the last 15 years. If he writes an autobiography about how he didnt drink too much and never chased coeds, it will sell zero copies. Not happening.

And with this post i'm forced to admit you really are CM Husker returned from purgatory.

Link?

7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I have been saying this from the get-go.