What Could Have Been....

Mavric

10 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

What could have been if they had stunned McBride and told everybody ,"Okay, when he comes to ,everybody act like he's the head coach!"

It makes me wonder what would have happened if McBride was actually HC for say 7 or 8 years. After 99, you could see the drop off. 2001 CU doesn't happen under McBride's watch neither does 7-7, IMO.

• Plus1 2
51 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Different definitions of great.

Similar to how Wisconsin plugs guys into their system, Solich was a great Husker-system coach.  That same system doesn't work in the MAC.  He doesn't have a state full of HS kids chomping at the bit to be a Bobcat. 

He's still by far the best coach Ohio has ever had.

So he can win when he has the talent - especially riding the coat-tails of his predecessor - but can't do it on his own.

Thus, not a great coach.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Solich is not a great head coach.  A great head coach would have been able to win the MAC at least once in 12 years.

He may have been a decent head coach.  But his problem was he was a terrible offensive coordinator.  He tried to be Tom but he wasn't.

I suspect that if he'd been kept around, his ceiling would've been about like Bo's - generally pretty good, but never really great.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

So he can win when he has the talent - especially riding the coat-tails of his predecessor - but can't do it on his own.

Thus, not a great coach.

System.  Not talent.  He ran the Nebraska blueprint, at Nebraska, and ran it well.   That same system won't work as well in Ohio.  

1 hour ago, FTW said:

Didn't we have like 40+ fumbles in 1999? I believe we set an NCAA record too at the time or maybe we still hold it, lol. We got back a majority of them, I think but that one in Texas got away from us. That 99 team was awesome. A lot of people thought they would have beaten Florida State that year.

Yes, I'm one of those.  We again picked on Tenn and beat them badly in the Fiesta Bowl repeating our 1997 performance.   And the 2000 team was better than the 2001 team that played in the NC game.  Outside of that Texas fumble, I would have ranked the 99 team a hair's breath lower than the 97 team.   95,71, 97, 94, 99, 93, 70, 82, 83, 01, 87, 72 might be how I would rank our top  teams- plenty of room for debate however .

Edited by TGHusker
forgot the 94, 93 - had 95 on my mind Good Grief
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I'm one of those.  We again picked on Tenn and beat them badly in the Fiesta Bowl repeating our 1997 performance.   And the 2000 team was better than the 2001 team that played in the NC game.  Outside of that Texas fumble, I would have ranked the 99 team a hair's breath lower than the 97 team.   95,71, 97, 99. 70, 82, 83, 01, 87, 72 might be how I would rank our top 10 teams- plenty of room for debate however .

'87?  No '93 or '94?

1 hour ago, brophog said:

The 99 season still ranks up there with the best in program history, despite no national title. Just couldn't hang onto the daggum ball.

Sobering stat: that team gave up 6 rushing TDs all year. 

I still remember the screwjob we got at Texas that year--even Brent Musberger said the officials were blowing calls on that final drive. 

8 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

'87?  No '93 or '94?

I mean, the 94 team was better. The 95 Huskers were just the backups, right? Lol. 1993 team was good too. I'd put them right up there with the 99 squad.

My 90's rankings would be:

1.) 1995

2.) 1997

3.) 1994

4.) 1999

5.) 1993

6.) 1996

7.) 1992

8.) 1990

9.) 1991

10.) 1998

Just now, VectorVictor said:

I still remember the screwjob we got at Texas that year--even Brent Musberger said the officials were blowing calls on that final drive. 

Yeah, that was just one of many Texas screw jobs. Became pretty evident as the years wore on.

42 minutes ago, FTW said:

It makes me wonder what would have happened if McBride was actually HC for say 7 or 8 years. After 99, you could see the drop off. 2001 CU doesn't happen under McBride's watch neither does 7-7, IMO.

I think McBride would’ve been a better recruiter and Solich would’ve been OC running the same offense. I think we would’ve got the top line recruits that Solich missed. Hard to say though.

39 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Yeah, lost behind the Buckhalter fumble is that their game-winning drive was aided by a couple of ridiculous pass interference penalties.

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Solich is not a great head coach.  A great head coach would have been able to win the MAC at least once in 12 years.

He may have been a decent head coach.  But his problem was he was a terrible offensive coordinator.  He tried to be Tom but he wasn't.

But the mACtion!!!