Diaco's Best Defense in Country!

4 hours ago, bhunt7 said:

I’d rather have a coach and a team not give up on a season after starting 3-4. You have to have buy in and confidence from everybody to have any success.

Diaco’s passive, send 3 and drop 8 has been terrible to watch but he is promising us he’s going to do everything he can to fix issues. This should be what we want to hear. A commitment to being great, a belief that we can get more out of what we have now!

Let's hope the team doesn't give up and wins some of the remaining games.

As to the bolded. If Diaco was at least getting out of the players what we have talent wise on paper his comments wouldn't be laughed at. As I've pointed out before, when Wisconsin transitioned to a 3-4 their defense improved year one. Diaco's 3/4ths hasn't. I believe Riley had the same expectations for improvement. He's not getting Aranda level coaching from Bob.

Edited by 4skers89
Just now, BigRedN said:

^^^ Are you restating this three times for emphasis?  :-)

As a humorous note ... a preacher was at a crucial point in his message one Sunday morning.  He came to the main point in his message and stated boldly, "Behold, I come quickly."  Wanting to show the importance of the message he proclaimed again, "Behold, I come quickly!"  Within a matter of seconds he came back to the statement and with great force while pointing out to the crowd shouted ... "BEHOLD, I COME QUICKLY!!"  Upon this last statement he was pressing into the podium so forcefully that he tipped over the podium, fell down a few steps into the lap of an elderly lady.  He was embarrassed and feeling rather uncomfortable and expressed to the dear elderly lady his apology for falling into her lap.  

The elderly lady said, "Oh, that okay Pastor, I heard you say three time you were COMING QUICKLY, I just didn't know it would be that fast!"  :-)

4 hours ago, FTW said:

Majority of the fan base that got sold and bought into all the pre-season hype "Guys are flying around, it's bang bang bang" etc.

Waa???  So, a fan who hears preseason talk about the defense "Flying around, it's bang bang bang"..etc and gets excited is some how forgetting that we won championships with an aggressive defense?

Where is the logic in that?

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Waa???  So, a fan who hears preseason talk about the defense "Flying around, it's bang bang bang"..etc and gets excited is some how forgetting that we won championships with an aggressive defense?

Where is the logic in that?

That's not what I said at all. My argument has been that we've been duped. Plain and simple. If they knew the 3-4 transition would take this long, maybe they should have incorporated a few elements here and there versus wholesale changes. The point is, a passive scheme on defense has failed to work. It looks good against lesser opponents but this Bob Diaco defense will get trampled on by an OL with a pulse. 

The proof is in the pudding. A used car salesman is on the staff proclaiming he's going to create the best defense in the country after getting stomped in back to back weeks.

Yes, the preseason hype, all the talk of his experience down at ND, the players saying how good the defense is going to be. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon until that first game against Arky St. And then Oregon. Go watch UCF if you want to see a solid, sound, aggressive/attacking defensive scheme. It makes our defense look JV.

Maybe he thought they were getting better as they kept approaching 100%.  Then they went to 116% in 3rd down completions allowed he realized something was wrong, because expecting more than 110% isn't possible.  Now that he's knows the numbers are team rankings, and not a test percentage grades, they are no longer headed for 130.   He's turned the page upside down, all the frowns will look like smiles, and they'll be heading up the charts as fast as they've been dropping.  A couple of supposedly easier games might help, if we don't Arky St it.

Edited by InOmaha

4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Moss was already long gone before Riley stepped on campus.  All of that happened under Bo.  

Hank Bounds and his poor relationship-building and coaching was part of the problem with the other guys (and by extension, is Riley's fault for the hire), but don't under-estimate the toxic influence of spurned Coach Kaz.  He was still hanging around our DL players, having them over for diner, texting them, etc.

The original post was about not having athletic d linemen.  I love message boards.  Toxic influence?  They knew the Hughes was a f$&$$ing idiot, you can phrase it how you want.  Riley couldn't keep them around because hired an idoit.  Remember when Mcmullen said he had never spoken with Hughes during the season.

I was responding to the claim there wasn't any athletic linemen in 7 years, it to 30 seconds to prove that false

16 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The original post was about not having athletic d linemen.  I love message boards.  Toxic influence?  They knew the Hughes was a f$&$$ing idiot, you can phrase it how you want.  Riley couldn't keep them around because hired an idoit.  Remember when Mcmullen said he had never spoken with Hughes during the season.

I was responding to the claim there wasn't any athletic linemen in 7 years, it to 30 seconds to prove that false

I agree with your point about the 5 athletes you listed.  Pelini did have some talent on the D-line, and Riley/HH should have done more to keep Valentine/Collins/McMullen in the fold.  Hughes should have never been hired.

We will never know if Pelini would have kept those three in the fold.  He might have even advised Collins to go.  Maybe Valentine or McMullen would have stayed.  Who cares?  Pelini and the fans/media/university basically hated each other at that point, recruiting was dropping off, and he needed to go.

As for Moss and Gregory,  they weren't even on campus when Riley was hired.  And nobody was "forced out" as Pedro already discussed with you.

As for Coach Kaz texting D-line players, and trying to poison the well?  Jason Peter and Adam Carriker both confirmed this was happening, and spoke out about it.  Why would they both independently just make that up?  It happened.

2 hours ago, FTW said:

That's not what I said at all. My argument has been that we've been duped. Plain and simple. If they knew the 3-4 transition would take this long, maybe they should have incorporated a few elements here and there versus wholesale changes. The point is, a passive scheme on defense has failed to work. It looks good against lesser opponents but this Bob Diaco defense will get trampled on by an OL with a pulse. 

The proof is in the pudding. A used car salesman is on the staff proclaiming he's going to create the best defense in the country after getting stomped in back to back weeks.

Yes, the preseason hype, all the talk of his experience down at ND, the players saying how good the defense is going to be. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon until that first game against Arky St. And then Oregon. Go watch UCF if you want to see a solid, sound, aggressive/attacking defensive scheme. It makes our defense look JV.

Then your response didn't have anything to do with my question you quoted.  I specifically asked who he thought didn't remember that we won championships with an aggressive defense.  Your posts don't make sense when tied to that question.