Diaco's Best Defense in Country!

1 hour ago, FTW said:

I still think you can attack offenses but you need a really athletic defensive line more than anything and we don't have it. We haven't in 7 years. See PSU last year/this year.

I think we have talent on the roster but so far I'm not impressed with Parella and neither Diaco. JMHO.

Collins, Valentine, Gregory, Moss, Mcmullen, come on, remember Mike forced them out early.

• Plus1 1

He did. I'd prefer he keep it between himself and the players otherwise it just looks like a desperate war cry on public display.

No, you'd prefer it if he were gone along with the rest of the staff. Every action that does or doesn't happen will be interpreted in the way that best supports your case.

• Plus1 1

I don't really have any issue with what Diaco said, btw.

Reality is, at the end of the day he's not allowed to say things like, "Hey, we'd be an elite defense if we didn't have a borderline top 30 roster talent-wise." At the same time, every coach's approach to teaching from scratch is different, and some have better immediate success than others. I'd have zero issue whatsoever with Diaco being around next year. 

Our 2008 defense was 81st in the nation in scoring defense. Our 2009 defense was #1. Pelini benefitted from a roster loaded with NFL talent, make no mistake, but it still took a year of arguably bad defense for him to really turn it around.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

I don't really have any issue with what Diaco said, btw.

Reality is, at the end of the day he's not allowed to say things like, "Hey, we'd be an elite defense if we didn't have a borderline top 30 roster talent-wise." At the same time, every coach's approach to teaching from scratch is different, and some have better immediate success than others. I'd have zero issue whatsoever with Diaco being around next year. 

Our 2008 defense was 81st in the nation in scoring defense. Our 2009 defense was #1. Pelini benefitted from a roster loaded with NFL talent, make no mistake, but it still took a year of arguably bad defense for him to really turn it around.

Yeah but to all of us watching the turn around between 2007 and 2008 seemed like a notable improvement where as in this case it looks worse.   At least banker could kind of limit traditional offenses.

Edited by shyndy
1 hour ago, shyndy said:

Yeah but to all of us watching the turn around between 2007 and 2008 seemed like a notable improvement where as in this case it looks worse.   At least banker could kind of limit traditional offenses.

The only turnaround from '07-'08 was the difference between the defense completely giving up on Cosgrove and actually putting some effort in for the Pelini's.

There's also hardly anywhere to go but up from 115th out of 120 teams like we were ranked in 2007. Point is, a single season with a dramatic scheme change isn't a big enough sample size for me to personally say whether or not he's up to the task.

3 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Collins, Valentine, Gregory, Moss, Mcmullen, come on, remember Mike forced them out early.

I was not a fan of Pelini, but to say that he left Riley with a team void of talent is not true. Literally everyone listed above with the exception of Mcmullen was drafted in the NFL and plays, except Randy because he likes the ganja. 

Any short comings of this team has to be attributed to Riley at this point. It is year 3, the team play overall has regressed.  I don't know how this season will end, but I have a good feeling that this will occur

Wins: Minnesota, Northwestern. 

Loses: Purdue, Penn State, Iowa.

My reasoning for placing the three loses is that Mike's teams seem to lack the ability to contend with teams who play physical and have comparable talent to us.

Purdue will outplay our lines, as will Iowa. Penn State we will see a bend don't break D get decimated. I expect to see our linebackers exposed all game long by Saquon Barkley matching up in the passing game. Lack of an efficient qb spy will lead to Mcsorley picking up 3rd downs with his feet. 

If Diaco had any sense  he would call a lot of man coverage, put J. Kalu back at CB in replace of Lamar Jackson, possibly bring in Marquel Dismuke to cover Saquon in the passing game. But I am sure it will be the usual disaster... Than it is an early Christmas and we hire Scott Frost.

8 hours ago, timmytbro said:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/practice-report-oct-bob-diaco-says-nebraska-working-toward-best/article_33b4d010-b912-11e7-b178-5bda96e50056.html

This is the stuff that is plaguing Nebraska football. Diaco says Nebraska will have the best defense in the country, it just will take time.

All we hear is talk, we don't see action just talk. Talk is cheap. Who cares what a person says, it is the actions that speak volumes of a person and a teams character.

We heard Kalu will be the best safety in the country, we heard Lamar Jackson say he turned a page.... The problem is these players are told how great they are without even doing anything to show they deserve these titles. How about praising your team after they do something good, not after getting destroyed the last three weeks.... 

I think he meant the best defense in the "county", not 'country'

• Plus1 3

I’d rather have a coach and a team not give up on a season after starting 3-4. You have to have buy in and confidence from everybody to have any success.

Diaco’s passive, send 3 and drop 8 has been terrible to watch but he is promising us he’s going to do everything he can to fix issues. This should be what we want to hear. A commitment to being great, a belief that we can get more out of what we have now!

Don’t knock the man for not giving up. He made a bold statement and said the standard is excellence. We may be a long ways from it but we will find a way!

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Collins & Valentine weren't forced out their draft grade was probably not going to get any higher and they were ready to turn pro.  Gregory was already gone.  Moss was not forced out (pretty sure he was already gone as well) and McMullen quit on his own (not forced out).

Nice try though.

Edited by Pedro Guerrero
  • Plus1 3