Diaco's Best Defense in Country!

24 minutes ago, bhunt7 said:

I’d rather have a coach and a team not give up on a season after starting 3-4. You have to have buy in and confidence from everybody to have any success.

This isn't a normal 3-4 season.  Most of us feel this season has no future, imagine how they must feel.

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Our 2008 defense was 81st in the nation in scoring defense. Our 2009 defense was #1. Pelini benefitted from a roster loaded with NFL talent, make no mistake, but it still took a year of arguably bad defense for him to really turn it around.

The 2008 squad also benefited from having a coach with the sense to keep the D off the field as much as possible.

9 hours ago, Judoka said:

I feel for Diaco, he just got here and now he's fighting a losing battle to keep his job next year.  Not saying we need to keep him if someone better is available, just that it probably sucks to be him right now.

There'$ about 850,000 rea$ons why I don't feel too $orry for him.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Toe said:

The 2008 squad also benefited from having a coach with the sense to keep the D off the field as much as possible.

I always think this is an overrated notion when looking at defenses. Good defenses get off the field themselves. If you want to really help your defense, don't try to play hide and seek, go out and score. Playing with a lead opens up more options for the defense and closes more for the opposing offense.

2008 gave up 5.4 ypp, not great, 76th in the country that year, but better than the 5.8 ypp surrendered this year. Furthermore, that team only gave up 3.6 ypc, and allowed 57% passing. This year's team is surrendering 4.8 ypc, and 67% passing. I expect this year's stats to improve, simply because we've already played most of the better offenses we'll face.

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who is it that seems to have forgotten that?

Shawn Eichorst

Mike Riley

Bob Diaco

Majority of the fan base that got sold and bought into all the pre-season hype "Guys are flying around, it's bang bang bang" etc.

The offensive style has proven not to be successful in Lincoln and so has Bob D's passive aggressive scheme to put it lightly.

1 hour ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Collins & Valentine weren't forced out their draft grade was probably not going to get any higher and they were ready to turn pro.  Gregory was already gone.  Moss was not forced out (pretty sure he was already gone as well) and McMullen quit on his own (not forced out).

Nice try though.

Their draft grade wouldn't have increased because of the staffs ineptitude at on the Defensive line, so yes they were forced to leave.  McMullen quit when his 2 inside buddies were forced to leave, you think those two would have left under Bo?  No.  Which then means McMullen doesn't quit either.

Also in the first post someone said something about not having athletic D Linemen for 7 years.  I named 5 without even trying.

Edited by KingBlank
21 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Their draft grade wouldn't have increased because of the staffs ineptitude at on the Defensive line, so yes they were forced to leave.  McMullen quit when his 2 inside buddies were forced to leave, you think those two would have left under Bo?  No.  Which then means McMullen doesn't quit either.

Nobody forced them to enter the draft they left on their own.  Nobody forced McMullen to "retire" from football he did that on his own.  Those guys not leaving under Bo doesn't mean they were forced to leave under Riley.

I will take back what I said about Moss, that guy was forced to leave because he couldn't keep his stuff in his pants.   

4 hours ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Nobody forced them to enter the draft they left on their own.  Nobody forced McMullen to "retire" from football he did that on his own.  Those guys not leaving under Bo doesn't mean they were forced to leave under Riley.

I will take back what I said about Moss, that guy was forced to leave because he couldn't keep his stuff in his pants.   

Moss was already long gone before Riley stepped on campus.  All of that happened under Bo.  

Hank Hughes and his poor relationship-building and coaching was part of the problem with the other guys (and by extension, is Riley's fault for the hire), but don't under-estimate the toxic influence of spurned Coach Kaz.  He was still hanging around our DL players, having them over for diner, texting them, etc.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
  • Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Moss was already long gone before Riley stepped on campus.  All of that happened under Bo.  

Hank Bounds and his poor relationship-building and coaching was part of the problem with the other guys (and by extension, is Riley's fault for the hire), but don't under-estimate the toxic influence of spurned Coach Kaz.  He was still hanging around our DL players, having them over for diner, texting them, etc.

Do you mean Hank Hughes?  Bounds is the President of the University.

I don’t mind some of the excuses he is making, year one of a new scheme can be tricky. There’s some things I would like changed but I also don’t know all the ins and outs and what’s going on in practice and behind the scenes.

My issue is that the staff didn’t do a whole lot to muzzle the off-season hype. I’m not sure, maybe all of the hype helped with recruiting. But then the season gets here and we don’t look remotely close to a 10 win team and it’s really puzzling to think that Riley kept saying he brought Diaco in for immediate success. I know they can’t just be pessimists but it would have been nice to hear: “it’s a new defense, there will be bumps along the way but the important thing is that we will get better as the season goes on.”

I actually kind of respect DL for being honest and telling people to hold their horses on the Tanner Lee hype.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do you mean Hank Hughes?  Bounds is the President of the University.

Hank should have had a super easy time building relationships with the players...since he lived in the dorms with them!!

Sitcom:  Hank Hughes:  DL Coach and RA.

He basically thought he was staring in Saved By The Bell:  The College Years

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hank should have had a super easy time building relationships with the players...since he lived in the dorms with them!!

Sitcom:  Hank Hughes:  DL Coach and RA.

He basically thought he was staring in Saved By The Bell:  The College Years

Hughes should have been having his d-line in his dorm to play Madden and eat Ramen.

• Plus1 1