The Numbers

HIHusker

16 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Rivals shows Decker offered by K-state. But still I would have thought Stoltenberg and Gifford had P-5 offers. 

Stoltenberg and Gifford were homestate boys who committted early and never got other offers.  Baker Steinkuhler was a 5* and never got any other offers.  

Plus, the whole offer thing is hearsay.  Some kids claim to have offers when they don't, others don't announce all their offers. There is no official offer record keeping system.  

That list was made by a butthurt Riley fan who was trying to make a case for keeping Riley around.

As stated... I'm no expert and not making any excuses or saying he should stay.  Read my original post for my point.  I am just pulling for the boys to turn it around, regardless of what happens with the coach.  It would make for a pretty cool story and football could be fun again sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Isle of view- here you go;

sHiTW1D.png

This is a ridiculous, agenda-driven list which was already discussed here and to which I responded here:

Finally got home where I can look into this.

First of all, offers are about the least scientific way to compare players for a number of reasons.  First, there's no way to verify that player actually has an offer.  Second, they may have an "offer" but it's not actually a committable offer.  Third, players may or may not announce all their offers, especially if they commit early or are local kids.

Second, before even looking, this list is dripping with trying to force a narrative.  As you noted, why is there only one listed for current players but three for the Futures?  Second, are we judging based on how good a certain team is now or 3-4 years ago when these guys were being recruited.

Third, as you also noted, why is he including guys who may or may not ever enroll.

Fourth, why didn't he list all starting positions?  Why are Rahn and Reimers on the list but not Spielman and Lindsey?  No Newby at LB but Davis listed? Three corners but none of them is Jackson?  No Davis twins?  Does Missouri being their best offer mean the guys coming behind them are going to be better?

But here are a few of the Current players that I think he shorted, probably intentionally, either in who their offers were or by not listing them at all:

Morgan - Clemson, Ohio State, Florida

Lindsey - Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma

DPE - North Carolina, West Virginia, Wake Forest

JD Spielman - Michigan, Florida State, UCLA

Foster - Georgia, Iowa, UCLA

Farniok - Florida State, Michigan, Oklahoma

Knevel - Alabama, Wisconsin, West Virginia

Jaimes - TCU, Cal, Texas

Akinmoladun - Iowa, Arkansas, Missouri

Carlos Daivs - Missouri, North Carolina, Arizona State

Khalil Davis - Arizona State, Kansas State, Missouri

Newby - Oklahoma, Penn State, Virginia Tech

Young - Washington, UCLA, Arizona

Gifford - Iowa State

Jackson - Michigan, Oklahoma, USC

Aaron Williams - Mississippi, Mississippi State, Kansas State

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

LOL...  change the bar a bit..??  you obviously just want to argue...have a good day...

How am I changing the bar?  (I'm guessing you mean moving the goalposts?) You suggested we give Frost a 5-year contract and no contract extensions until year 5.  I said that was a bad idea, and not how things are done.  Twice.

You said we need to stop giving extensions, then firing coaches after three years.  You said we need to show commitment to the coach.   I said  that contract extensions are done to show commitment to the coach, and they are a gamble and risk that is necessary to succeed in the game of coach hiring.

I have not changed my stance or contradicted myself, so I'm confused as to how you think any bars or goalposts have moved.

46 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

How am I changing the bar?  (I'm guessing you mean moving the goalposts?) You suggested we give Frost a 5-year contract and no contract extensions until year 5.  I said that was a bad idea, and not how things are done.  Twice.

You said we need to stop giving extensions, then firing coaches after three years.  You said we need to show commitment to the coach.   I said  that contract extensions are done to show commitment to the coach, and they are a gamble and risk that is necessary to succeed in the game of coach hiring.

I have not changed my stance or contradicted myself, so I'm confused as to how you think any bars or goalposts have moved.

I think he just wore out his welcome at his current bar and he's looking for a new place to drink!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 4:12 PM, Mavric said:

This is a ridiculous, agenda-driven list which was already discussed here and to which I responded here:

That graphic has been shot to holes, so much so that I deleted the picture so it can't be used for any more spurious arguments.  I don't regret posting it so we could discuss it, but I do regret leaving it on my Imgur so it could be used for tomfoolery.  Fixed. Hopefully it won't rear its ugly head again. 

On 10/27/2017 at 8:57 AM, Xmas32 said:

Saban is underpaid if you look at the overall economic impact the University of Alabama has seen since he took over at HC.  As I type this I noticed USA Today just wrote a pretty good article that outlines Saban's impact just a couple days ago.  Talk about good timing!  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/10/25/nick-saban-underpaid-more-than-11-million-season/794275001/

Love that article.  It is so true too...I don't know what % of high school students pick their college because of the athletic teams but it has to be a decent number and why wouldn't it be.  Most of the schools are good schools so now you are looking at the place where you can not only get a good education but also have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

If Nebraska makes a widely expected football coaching change after Friday’s regular-season finale against Iowa, here’s what it could cost: About $11.28 million.

That’s approximately how much Nebraska would owe head coach Mike Riley, his nine assistant coaches, plus head strength and conditioning coach Mark Philipp, and executive director of personnel Billy Devaney.

The largest chunk -- more than $6.63 million-- would be paid to Riley through the term of his contract that expires in February 2021.

HOL

One way to look at this is that we should have paid 5-6 million 3 years ago for a coach.  Instead, we hired one that now makes around 2.9 million.  So, I look at it as we have saved 2-3 million the last three years.  That's 6-9 million that we SHOULD have spent the last three years.  That (and a little more) will pay for correcting the situation.  Now, let's go out and pay what we should have been paying all along.

• Plus1 1
On 10/26/2017 at 4:46 PM, NebraskaHarry said:

If niceness contributed to wins, Nebraska might be the best team in college football. But it doesnt and Riley is terrible, sooooo... he should be getting fired come seasons end. 

Yeah He's really nice.  Like the parent that tells you you are going to have a great Christmas, then splits town forever.