What Did We Learn?.....Purdue

The Duke

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

None of this is known at the time of the decision. If you can't grasp that fact, there is no reason to have this conversation.

Facts:

We went for it from the 20 and it was 4th and 6 and came away with zero points. Which forced us to get a stop anyway from the same field position as we would have if we kicked a FG. And we would have been down by 2 instead of 5. TO agrees, we talked already....

17 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

The FG was a given at that range

From the 15, that's a 32 yard FG. Brown missed a 33 yarder against Wisconsin this year. 

Would he he have made it tonight from that distance? Probably, but I don't know for sure. Lots of things can go wrong. That's why they're "odds" not "givens".

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Facts:

We went for it from the 20 and it was 4th and 6 and came away with zero points. Which forced us to get a stop anyway from the same field position as we would have if we kicked a FG. And we would have been down by 2 instead of 5. TO agrees, we talked already....

If you can't even acknowledge that it was possible to convert that 4th and 6 and that would have given us another opportunity to win the game, then there's no point in discussing this further.

• Plus1 1

Positives:

Bradley, Spielman, Morgan, Lee, Kalu, Brown

Final drive to win...did it when it mattered most

Negatives:

OL is terrible...like one of the worst in the country terrible

Dropped balls

That DPE has 5 defenders around him and must fair catch every punt.  I don't think we even practice punt returns...it is pathetic.

Defense in general lacks motor, energy, big play ability, gives up too many yards after contact

In general this was two bad football teams playing each other and someone had to win.

• Plus1 4

Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown. (A.R. 7-3-8:VII, VIII, XI and XII): It is not defensive pass interference (A.R. 7-3-8:III) (A.R. 7-3-9:III):

1. When, after the snap, opposing players immediately charge and establish contact with opponents at a point that is within one yard beyond the neutral zone.
  2. When two or more eligible players are making a simultaneous and bona fide attempt to reach, catch or bat the pass. Eligible players of either team have equal rights to the ball. (A.R. 7-3-8:IX)
  3. When a Team B player legally contacts an opponent before the pass is thrown. (A.R. 7-3-8:III and X)
  4. When there is contact by a Team B player that otherwise would be pass interference during a down in which a Team A potential kicker, from scrimmage kick formation, simulates a scrimmage kick by throwing the ball high and deep.

FYI, exception #4 is why Riley was arguing with the refs over the DPI on Purdue's fake punt. Riley has an good argument here as that exception pretty much says you can't run a fake like Purdue did where the punter just throws it really high in the air.

• Plus1 1

We need to run a up tempo offense and get rid of the huddle. Don't know why he hasn't figured that out but with tanner's arm it could really torch a defense if ran correctly. College football needs 3 things to compete for championships: quality up tempo offense, dual threat QB and a sound defense. That's it.

• Plus1 1
Just now, FearAmeer said:

We need to run a up tempo offense and get rid of the huddle. Don't know why he hasn't figured that out but with tanner's arm it could really torch a defense if ran correctly. College football needs 3 things to compete for championships: quality up tempo offense, dual threat QB and a sound defense. That's it.

I'd also like an uptempo offense, but Alabama has shown that your #1 and #2 aren't needed.

I learned the following:

(1) Mike Riley is insignificant. I believe that the team will actually do better if he was not standing along the sideline chewing gum, looking clueless every time we get a penalty against us, and have a defeated posture throughout the game.

(2) Where the hell was Hoppes the past two years?

(3) We can’t run the ball to save our lives.

(4) It has been centuries since our last trick play.

(5) It has been centuries since we last blocked a punt.

(6) Our Play calling is BORINGLY PREDICTABLE.

(7) Northwestern is going to destroy us.

(8) Penn State is going to annihilate us and erase us from FBS records.

(9) Mike Riley and his coaches continue to rob Nebraska blind. 

(10) Eichorst was a deeply delusional human being who probably thought aliens told him to hire Riley because they saw the future.

(11) I enjoyed our last win of the season. It was brutally fun. I hated and liked myself at the same time for having hope we can beat Purdone.

(12) Stop with the “what did we learn” topic. The answer is always: Nothing we do not already know. Mike Riley is a real coach as the Geco in the Geico commercials is a real talking Geco.

Edited by huskerfan74
  • Plus1 6

I learned that IOWA STATE made a good choice for a coach. They must have a good AD. Going from 3-9 last year to beating two top five teams in one month definitely is a good indication that they got a good coach. I bet Iowa St would beat the living crap out of us if we played them this year.

Edited by huskerfan74
  • Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Branno said:

FYI, exception #4 is why Riley was arguing with the refs over the DPI on Purdue's fake punt. Riley has an good argument here as that exception pretty much says you can't run a fake like Purdue did where the punter just throws it really high in the air.

I can't wait to see a replay of this because that's exactly what Riley is arguing. However, that rule does not mean you can't run a fake punt. "Simulates a scrimmage kick" is the key phrase there, and apparently that's what the refs told Riley.

The rule is trying to protect both sides. The problem is its 4th and 19. 4th and 3 and he throws a lazy lob, pass interference and no one bats an eye. 4th and 19, one side claims its simulating a kick, and the other says its just taking the trajectory necessary to complete such a long pass. 

We may never see another play like this. Nobody in their right mind runs a fake that long to a covered receiver.

Note: The NFL rule is different than the NCAA rule posted above as it does prevent pass interference on this play to this receiver. More restrictive, but also more definitive.

Edited by brophog
Clarification
  • Plus1 2
1 hour ago, brophog said:

I can't wait to see a replay of this because that's exactly what Riley is arguing. However, that rule does not mean you can't run a fake punt. "Simulates a scrimmage kick" is the key phrase there, and apparently that's what the refs told Riley.

The rule is trying to protect both sides. The problem is its 4th and 19. 4th and 3 and he throws a lazy lob, pass interference and no one bats an eye. 4th and 19, one side claims its simulating a kick, and the other says its just taking the trajectory necessary to complete such a long pass. 

We may never see another play like this. Nobody in their right mind runs a fake that long to a covered receiver.

It worked, but what a wonky decision that was at the time.

i really liked their double reverse that got the ball back in Blough’s hands for the pass. It works a lot better than hoping your slot receiver still has his high school quarterbacking skills.