What Did We Learn?.....Purdue

The Duke

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I learned that Danny Langsdorf me be the worst OC we have had in roughly 10 years.  How this guy still has a job is beyond me. 

Okay, that's not fair.  I knew this about him weeks ago.

Slow learner.  Haha.

I knew the first year when he kept touting a "blended" offense for the current roster.  But, in no way did i ever see anything than square peg/round hole - and no different than what we're seeing now, with a different roster.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

What will he tweet if they beat Minnesota, Northwestern ,and Iowa?

Those are some big ifs, but I think I see your point.

It all depends on perspective. Nebraska played very, very bad football. There is something to say for winning but there isn't a strong argument to suggest this team is trending upward. They're stagnant at best. Four more weeks, in my opinion, won't tell us much more than we already know.

I was surprised Lee had 431 yards.  Then realized he had a lot of those in the 4th.  They scored, drove down to the 15 and turned it over on downs, then drove 70 yards in the  last 1:22.

I think BTN said he had 195 yards passing in the 4th.

It makes sense why most of the game felt anemic when they gained  almost 200 yards in 11 min of the game.

3 TDs instead of FGs before the 4th quarter would have helped.  But did they ever score a TD inside the red zone?  The last TD I think from the 12?

Edited by InOmaha

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Those are some big ifs, but I think I see your point.

It all depends on perspective. Nebraska played very, very bad football. There is something to say for winning but there isn't a strong argument to suggest this team is trending upward. They're stagnant at best. Four more weeks, in my opinion, won't tell us much more than we already know.

I think we would need to beat Penn State to change everyone's opinion. I still believe we can get 6 wins and go to a bowl....possibly 7 wins....but being the best of the bottom won't cut it.

Still no reason to not support the team in every game.

Edited by Hayseed
2 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

I was surprised Lee had 431 yards.  Then realized he had a lot of those in the 4th.  They scored, drove down to the 15 and turned it over on downs, then drove 70 yards in the Las 1:22.

I think BTN said he had 195 yards passing in the 4th.

It makes sense why most of the game felt anemic when they gained  almost 200 yards in 11 min of the game.

3 TDs instead of FGs before the 4th quarter would have helped.  But did they ever score a TD inside the red zone?  The last TD I think from the 12?

We had opportunities but poor choices by the guy with the ball in his hands kept us from cashing in several times. You can say it's bad play calling except there were five receivers out there who are rarely open, the QB throws to the low % choice, and the "zone read" type fake they're doing never involves a QB run and usually results in the RB running into the pile.
The other thing that is common is receivers setting up to catch the ball 2 yards before the first down stick, which I must say seems like an odd choice if they're hoping to get a first down.

12 hours ago, RedDenver said:

No.

By going for it he gave himself two chances to win: either the TD there or one on the next drive. Kicking the FG leaves only one opportunity to win the game, and that's only if you can get the ball back with only 3 minutes left and 2 TO's.

This is so incorrect I don’t know what to say other than:

triple-face-palm-because-even-the-three-

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I haven't watched all of our games this year.  That was Lamar Jackson's best game?

tenor.gif?itemid=4641306

I think so. He got beat once and PI'd. He blew up 3 bubble screens single handed. Couple short hitches caught on him, but not much else. CJones and Kalu were getting beat/ whiffing all night.

No.

By going for it he gave himself two chances to win: either the TD there or one on the next drive. Kicking the FG leaves only one opportunity to win the game, and that's only if you can get the ball back with only 3 minutes left and 2 TO's.

The contradictory wording of this post is cause for debate.  He has two chances to win by going for the TD but kicking the FG leaves only one opportunity?

I think it comes down to did Riley think they could get the ball back?  He didn't so he went for the TD.  It only worked because we got the last possession.  I think he made the right call.  You kick the field goal and Purdue has a lot more incentive to run out the clock.  They played conservative on offense and took their chances on us scoring an improbable last second TD.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

What will he tweet if they beat Minnesota, Northwestern ,and Iowa?

First, future events changing the situation does not make current observations inaccurate.

Second, that probably means that we are 7-5 and beat exactly one B1G that finishes above .500.  So I'm not sure it changes a lot.  Unless those three are blowout wins and we play Penn State tough.  Those three teams are currently #111, #63 and #104 in the country in offense so it's not like we shouldn't have a chance.

• Plus1 2

No.

Kicking the FG would have been the correct call. 

reasoning: if you fail on the 4th down. Purdue gets the ball on the 20ish yd line and you have no points. And if you do get the 1st down you begin using the rest of the clock making that most likely your final possession.

OR you kick it end up down 2 where another FG can win it for you. Purdue would most likely end up with the same field position as if you failed on 4th. 

Riley chose the outcome that made it MORE difficult to win!

nebraska had consistently shown they could drive within FG range but NOT put the ball in the EZ. 

Edited by Dan_F_31
  • Plus1 1

Just because it appears to be the going topic to discuss, I would have went for it on 4th down like Riley did. Not a lot of time left in the game, you play to win the game. Im no Riley apologist but imo it was the right call. My beef with Riley is when he gestured like he wanted to spike the ball to kill the clock with 30 some seconds on the clock with no timeouts when we were within the redzone. Luckily we didn't and preserved that extra play even though it was an incomplete pass. Thats plenty of time to run a play Riley. Come on.