Bob Diaco after Northwestern loss

ScawFraw

59 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I am pretty harsh on guys but I feel this guy just landed here and I think he can coach a D.  I know I know.  But something here tells me to separate Diaco from the Riley discussion.

He says he can get it done, I see no reason not to see if he is right.

I'll go so far as to agree that Diaco and this defense is a separate issue from Riley and his 3 years (3 years here and 20+ elsewhere...) of struggling to field a coherent offensive attack. But I think I've seen enough this year to not afford Diaco any more opportunity. He knew what he was getting into and the urgency of improving, or at least not regressing, this defense. Any coach who cannot implement his system without some ridiculous multi year process while also being competitive with the likes of Arky State, NIU, a bad Oregon team, Purdue, Northwestern etc. isn't much of a coach. This isn't pro football or the way things used to be in cfb where you may have had 4 years to bring players in, have them learn for a year or two and then actually contribute for a couple years. And nowhere do you get to tell people that they can't expect to be competitive yet. Defense is a pretty simple concept (contrary to the way Diaco may make it sound) in the game of football. There are the fundamentals of tackling, hands, shedding blocks and covering receivers that really don't change with system. As far as system, they may be learning new responsibilities and a new philosophy but you still have to do what it takes to keep your team in a position to win. I still place more blame on Langs and our offense but the points we have given up to some of these piss poor teams is just plain not acceptable. I don't like the bend but don't break philosophy but could probably live with it if it wasn't really bent and broken.

It seems both Riley and Diaco need 4* and 5* talent to begin to make their systems work. Nebraska is never going to have Bama level talent. Never have and never will. Every team in this division is doing more with less talent. There is no debate, that is a coaching and development problem. Sorry Bobby but you don't get more time to suck. All he had to do this year was not be worse than Banker and he screwed the pooch.  Welcome to the real world where cute little analogies to baking and cooking fish don't get you anywhere. That sh#t may fly at Oregon State or UConn but we ain't going to listen to it here.

Edited by El Diaco
  • Plus1 4

12 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Diaco and DWill don't get along very well.  DWill wants his CBs to play a more aggressive style and Diaco doesn't like it.

Have heard the same with Diaco and Parrella.

Let's can Diaco and make Parrella, DWill, Stewart and Bray co defensive coordinators.

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, El Diaco said:

I haven't bitched about them skipping a press conference. 

Never said you did.

21 hours ago, El Diaco said:

It was a stupid, chickensh#t statement that absolved himself of all responsibility and threw the players under the bus for obvious shortcomings of this coaching staff. 

Did you even listen to the interview or just read the quote?  He praised the players several times throughout the interview.  It was the first thing he did. 

2 hours ago, Blackshirts014 said:

Never said you did.

Did you even listen to the interview or just read the quote?  He praised the players several times throughout the interview.  It was the first thing he did. 

I only read the quote. I did not listen to his full interview.

So, what you're saying is he was passive aggressive, praising the players at times and blaming them or the strain of the process at others? Nevermind, I'll listen to it when I get a chance. But I think I've seen enough full quotes to get the gist of it, although sometimes in full context it can change. I was just trying to save myself the frustration of trying to make sense of what I've seen written. Gotta admit he made some pretty wild statements that seemed to be saying that we really can't expect him/them to be fielding a serviceable defense yet. Even if he wasn't necessarily throwing the players under the bus, IMO those comments are ill advised for the DC to be making. It was NW for godsakes....they sure as hell better be able to do defensively what it takes to win. Maybe that's part of the problem, maybe Diaco thinks he has 3 years to install a defense that can actually stop or slow down opponents.

On 11/7/2017 at 9:31 AM, Blackshirts014 said:

Never said you did.

On 11/7/2017 at 0:23 PM, El Diaco said:

I only read the quote. I did not listen to his full interview.

So, what you're saying is he was passive aggressive, praising the players at times and blaming them or the strain of the process at others? Nevermind, I'll listen to it when I get a chance. But I think I've seen enough full quotes to get the gist of it, although sometimes in full context it can change. I was just trying to save myself the frustration of trying to make sense of what I've seen written. Gotta admit he made some pretty wild statements that seemed to be saying that we really can't expect him/them to be fielding a serviceable defense yet. Even if he wasn't necessarily throwing the players under the bus, IMO those comments are ill advised for the DC to be making. It was NW for godsakes....they sure as hell better be able to do defensively what it takes to win. Maybe that's part of the problem, maybe Diaco thinks he has 3 years to install a defense that can actually stop or slow down opponents.

I finally listened to his presser. I’m going to ease off my criticism of him a little bit. I still think he should’ve adjusted his process more to be fielding a serviceable defense this year and I don’t like the fact that he seems to have a laundry list of excuses BUT actually listening to his explanation places everything he is being crucified for in a very different context than some short written snippets. The big one was he didn’t actually say we can’t expect them to do what it takes to win as a stand alone statement. In context, he was saying you can’t win with all the penalties, turnovers, etc. like they’ve had and expect to win. And with all the changes the team has undergone over the last dozen years it is hard to get anything built back up to a championship level. He is right. I think he probably underestimated the urgency here and should have made some adjustments to his process that would’ve allowed for playing a bit more competitively this year but that might be a lot more difficult than we realize. One thing is for sure he absolutely believes he has them headed towards being a great defense and that does have some value. Unfortunately, even though he’s only had 1 year, he will be judged on the same timeline as Riley and Riley is out of time. It might’ve been worth giving him more time to implement his vision but we’ll likely never know.

• Plus1 1

Yeah agreed.  I'm sure he thought had more time to get the defense right with how much hype the offense was getting going into the season. At the end of the day he clearly wants the defense to be great, believes that it can be, and is doing everything he thinks necessary to do so. As long as he is doing that and not trashing the kids then i think its not cool for us to be trashing him for not being great in interviews.