Mario Goodrich Comments???

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

Only way he "steps down" is if Nebraska agrees to pay his buyout.  He is a nice guy but not a fool.  He won't just walk away from millions of dollars the university is obligated to paying him.  I really hope we can find a way to retain him in some capacity.  

I've seen a few people post this, but why?  What positive impact would it have?  Why keep a failed coach around who has only been at the University for 3 years.  Let the new coach be his own man, and let Riley go back to Oregon.

• Plus1 2

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I've seen a few people post this, but why?  What positive impact would it have?  Why keep a failed coach around who has only been at the University for 3 years.  Let the new coach be his own man, and let Riley go back to Oregon.

The only reason I can think of is because no matter how bad of a football coach he is, Riley is a guy I am proud of going into young players homes and representing Nebraska. I am in no way a Riley supporter as the head football coach of Nebraska, but there is something to be said about his nice guy personality. Riley is someone, as a parent, I would want my son to go play for 4 years because I know he would be taught more then just football and he would be a better person after spending 4 years with Riley.

Riley needs to not be the head football coach, but he can represent Nebraska any day.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't see any reason to keep him around either.

Riley's comments about his convos with Moos lead me to believe he will announce he is retiring either before the Iowa game or immediately thereafter. I think we will be able to work out a deal in exchange for him claiming he is "retiring" and not being fired. There has to be some value to him allowing him to say he is "retiring" but i'm sure he will still want the majority of his buyout to do so because he will not be retiring on his own terms.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

The only reason I can think of is because no matter how bad of a football coach he is, Riley is a guy I am proud of going into young players homes and representing Nebraska. I am in no way a Riley supporter as the head football coach of Nebraska, but there is something to be said about his nice guy personality. Riley is someone, as a parent, I would want my son to go play for 4 years because I know he would be taught more then just football and he would be a better person after spending 4 years with Riley.

Riley needs to not be the head football coach, but he can represent Nebraska any day.

I understand he's a great and nice guy, and he does represent the state and the University well.  But, what capacity would he be?  He's been a football coach is entire life.  That's what he is.  If you put him in an administrative position, all that is going to do is have him around to possibly undermine the new coach.  Now, Riley wouldn't be undermining on purpose, but if he were around, his former players may come to him and not turn their trust to the new coach.  Riley is like an old band-aid and needs to be ripped off completely.

47 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand he's a great and nice guy, and he does represent the state and the University well.  But, what capacity would he be?  He's been a football coach is entire life.  That's what he is.  If you put him in an administrative position, all that is going to do is have him around to possibly undermine the new coach.  Now, Riley wouldn't be undermining on purpose, but if he were around, his former players may come to him and not turn their trust to the new coach.  Riley is like an old band-aid and needs to be ripped off completely.

Maybe whatever that bogus position Devaney has? It could be a way to keep him around until his contract is up and somehow UNL doesn't have to pay his buyout.

16 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Maybe whatever that bogus position Devaney has? It could be a way to keep him around until his contract is up and somehow UNL doesn't have to pay his buyout.

So, you keep a guy around for a bogus position and force Riley on the new coach, just to avoid paying the buyout?  Just pay the buyout.  I would rather pay Riley to leave, than to keep him around to further screw things up.

• Plus1 1

I won't pretend to be smart enough to know what capacity Riley could be retained to assist the University.  I do know that he is a great man of character and could be an asset in some way without detracting from a new coaches position.  I think retaining him could make the transition very smooth and also allow a great guy to retire with dignity.  While he may have short comings as a head coach, he has a ton of experience running an overall program with integrity and class.  These things were missing before he came here...  I would hate to see us take a step back.   

Just now, Hilltop said:

I won't pretend to be smart enough to know what capacity Riley could be retained to assist the University.  I do know that he is a great man of character and could be an asset in some way without detracting from a new coaches position.  I think retaining him could make the transition very smooth and also allow a great guy to retire with dignity.  While he may have short comings as a head coach, he has a ton of experience running an overall program with integrity and class.  These things were missing before he came here...  I would hate to see us take a step back.   

You have Bill Moos and the new head coach to run things with integrity and class.  You don't need to keep Riley around just to make some people happy.  If you want to let him retire in peace, let him go back to Oregon and not have to worry about his time at Nebraska.

I understand your point... but if we have to pay him millions anyway why not get something out of the pay.  He is a well liked guy nationally that could certainly help in some capacity.  I'm trying hard to understand why people can't see that some kind of position change would be beneficial to the overall athletic program.  What could it hurt?    

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I understand your point... but if we have to pay him millions anyway why not get something out of the pay.  He is a well liked guy nationally that could certainly help in some capacity.  I'm trying hard to understand why people can't see that some kind of position change would be beneficial to the overall athletic program.  What could it hurt?    

You pay him millions of dollars to GO AWAY!!!  Who cares about the money, and how it's spent.  Yes, he's well-liked and a nice and classy guy, but if you kept him around the athletic program, it would hurt the next coach.  You would have players that were brought to the University to Riley, and who probably think that Riley should still be their coach, and if Riley is kept around they may want to be loyal to their coach.

The University needs to move on from Riley.  It's been a failed 3-year experiment, and MOVE ON!!!

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 6