So let's say Riley stays ...

NM11046

If Riley stays, this program will regress to the point of complete, and potentially unrepairable, irrelevance.  Recruiting is going in the wrong direction and the glory years of 1993 to 1997 are getting smaller in the rearview mirror and it is only "we" that still cling to it.  

Edited by HuskerPowerVA
  • Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

If Riley stays, this program will regress to the point of complete, and potentially unrepairable, irrelevance.  Recruiting is going in the wrong direction and the glory years of 1993 to 1997 are getting smaller in the rearview mirror and it is only "we" that still cling to it.  

I think the next hire is critical to avoiding going into a negative feedback cycle. Losing the fan interest is where it starts. It's one of the few positives we have going for us. Our history as a NC contender is fading into the distant past. With less fan support our program is less attractive to recruits and potential coaches, the product on the field will suffer and fans will lose more interest.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think the next hire is critical to avoiding going into a negative feedback cycle. Losing the fan interest is where it starts. It's one of the few positives we have going for us. Our history as a NC contender is fading into the distant past. With less fan support our program is less attractive to recruits and potential coaches, the product on the field will suffer and fans will lose more interest.

Absolutely.  Recruiting at UNL is getting harder, despite what some think, especially if you want 4 star talent. Nebraska has the facilities and fan support (for now).  Winning attracts more winning and that is no longer a selling point for us.  In state talent is not rich.  Infusion of something positive is critical at this point. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Absolutely.  Recruiting at UNL is getting harder, despite what some think, especially if you want 4 star talent. Nebraska has the facilities and fan support (for now).  Winning attracts more winning and that is no longer a selling point for us.  In state talent is not rich.  Infusion of something positive is critical at this point. 

If NU gets into a deep hole it will be hard to climb out of because we aren't in great recruiting territory and getting that infusion of something positive (a great coach) to turn things around will be difficult.

• Plus1 1

Got some bad news everybody...

I stopped to get a coffee on my way back to work this afternoon. The guy takes my order, I pay, then he asks "Do you want extra guacamole on that?" I said, "absolutely." Then the fu&*#r looks me dead in the eye and says, "Mike Riley is staying at Nebraska for another year."

I hit 2 old ladies and a dog as I raced out of the parking lot.

giphy.gif

Edited by GSG
  • Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, GSG said:

Got some bad news everybody...

I stopped to get a coffee on my way back to work this afternoon. The guy takes my order, I pay, then he asks "Do you want extra guacamole on that?" I said, "absolutely." Then the fu&*#r looks me dead in the eye and says, "Mike Riley is staying at Nebraska for another year."

I hit 2 old ladies and a dog as I raced out of the parking lot.

giphy.gif

How much was the guacamole?

extra-guacamole-meme.jpg

7 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Mike Riley stays....  why..?  Because admin and boosters want Scott Frost and Scott Frost is staying put for right now.  Why chase a coach now only to watch the prodigal child slip through our hands in 2-3 years when he does decide to move up.  Riley stays... Langsdorf, Cavanaugh and Donte Williams gone....  JMHO!

This is a sincere question: If the head coach is ineffective, will hiring people to take the place of 'weak links' on the staff roster make that much of an impact? Coach Riley has fired and hired new staff but has it really made that much of an impact?  If he was an effective coach wouldn't we see more of a change with these new staff members?  He fired Banker but is Diaco any better?  Why doesn't Coach Riley call one of the football games instead of Langsdorf?  Right now I don't see Coach Riley as anything but a figurehead.  We need a football coach.  We need a football coach who is going to lead his staff first.  If a coach can't effectually lead his own staff, can he lead his players?  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

This is a sincere question: If the head coach is ineffective, will hiring people to take the place of 'weak links' on the staff roster make that much of an impact? Coach Riley has fired and hired new staff but has it really made that much of an impact?  If he was an effective coach wouldn't we see more of a change with these new staff members?  He fired Banker but is Diaco any better?  Why doesn't Coach Riley call one of the football games instead of Langsdorf?  Right now I don't see Coach Riley as anything but a figurehead.  We need a football coach.  We need a football coach who is going to lead his staff first.  If a coach can't effectually lead his own staff, can he lead his players?  

Agreed...  I'm not in the "keep Riley" camp at all... but I can see them keeping him in lieu of paying him to leave and Scott Frost wanting to see thru his obligations with UCF.  I think Moos will have a hand in any replacements that are made AND if that arrangement is not okay with MR then we may see him "retire"...  Again... JMHO