So let's say Riley stays ...

NM11046

23 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

The thing is. Moos hired Leach. He didn't hire Riley. He had to give Leach time. He doesn't have to with Riley.

That's the long and the short of it. 

GBR!!!

That’s a great point. Leach was Moos’s guy. Moos was invested in having Leach succeed long-term. Riley isn’t Moos’s Guy.

Plus, although Leach had a bad 3rd year, his 2nd year was relatively successful for Wazzu, as he went 6-6 in the regular season and got to a bowl game. That’s showing progress which Moos could point to after a bad 3rd year. Riley doesn’t have that progress, only regression. 

Edited by ColoradoHusk

I really don't think @LaunchCode and others are that far off in thinking Riley could do much better next year and going forward. I really really don't think Riley and staff are as bad as they are made out to be. That said, he's gone and we will have a new HC on the sidelines in 2018. Like Riley, don't like Riley it really doesn't matter. He hasn't had full support from the beginning and he hasn't done anything to improve his support, his on field results have done the opposite. It may not be fair but Riley is toast and if we get Frost in here he will be supported much more universally which I think will help.

Any other coach and it really becomes a case by case basis. I'm game to switch Riley for Frost or Campbell, but man I would rather not drop Riley to pick up another bad hire. Keep Riley>hire another bad coach.

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 3
11 hours ago, El Diaco said:

NM- I have to ask, what in the world have you seen from Riley that leads you to believe this is anywhere near a working deal with just some minor (or major) adjustments?

I’m sorry but I’m not going to award points for “he’s a nice guy” or “he represents the University with dignity and grace”. Just because his predecessor couldn’t do either of those things does not make it any type of qualification to coach at this level. Let’s assume those things are expected and the base from which to operate. So what does Riley bring to the table? What has he done in his three years here or in his 20+ years in cfb that makes anyone think he will ever compete for this division or this conference or ever possibly get a whiff of the playoffs or even move us in that direction?

He’s had full autonomy to implement what he wants and things are getting worse not better. Why should Moos keep him if he has to place contingencies and issue ultimatums and do his job for him? Really, IMO it’s absolutely delusional to even consider.

I don't think Riley necessarily stays, but if the rumors about Frost taking the Gator job are true, and all the other stuff flying around (telling recruits he stays, Boyd and others saying he needs a chance etc), I think it's worth discussing this as much as it is dreaming about who might take his job.  Just wanting a discussion on position coaches as much as people have dedicated themselves to convincing themselves Scott is a shoe in as HC.  

I'm just tired of all the fan boy threads on SF as if there's not other combinations of things that might happen.  Just want a dialogue other than hardon$ about Frost.

Edited by NM11046
  • Plus1 2

I don't think it is even so much about Frost.  If you are the AD you sit down and ask yourself "Can I find a coach that I think is better than Riley" after you think about it for .0001 seconds you nod your head "yes, I can"

I am trying to think of a current head coach (at a power 5 school) that I would say is worse than Riley and honestly, the list is short.

That dude from KU

The Rutgers coach?

Maybe Fedora?

Lovie Smith?

I mean...it is a short freaking list.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't think it is even so much about Frost.  If you are the AD you sit down and ask yourself "Can I find a coach that I think is better than Riley" after you think about it for .0001 seconds you nod your head "yes, I can"

I am trying to think of a current head coach (at a power 5 school) that I would say is worse than Riley and honestly, the list is short.

That dude from KU

The Rutgers coach?

Maybe Fedora?

Lovie Smith?

I mean...it is a short freaking list.

I don't think that is the attitude he should have. It's not about being better than Riley it's about getting a guy we think can build us back up into CC contenders yearly. If not we will be repeating this same process 4 years down the road. If we can't land Frost or one of the other top 10 canidates, holding off may not be a bad idea. Replacing Riley with a marginally better coach would be more damaging then giving Riley one more year imo. In any event, firing Riley is a good move if there is a solid replacement lined up. If there isn't, I wouldn't fire him.

• Plus1 2

I like Chip Lindsey, Auburn's OC, as someone who would be worth looking at if Riley was given another year.  His philosophy is to build an offense around the QBs you have, whether they are Pro-style or Dual- threat.  He has been a little more pass happy in the past with a 55/45 pass to run ratio but has changed it up this year at Auburn where he is currently at a 65/35 run to pass ratio.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't think that is the attitude he should have. It's not about being better than Riley it's about getting a guy we think can build us back up into CC contenders yearly. If not we will be repeating this same process 4 years down the road. If we can't land Frost or one of the other top 10 canidates, holding off may not be a bad idea. Replacing Riley with a marginally better coach would be more damaging then giving Riley one more year imo. In any event, firing Riley is a good move if there is a solid replacement lined up. If there isn't, I wouldn't fire him.

I get that but I look at is as this...if you can get better...you get better.

1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

I like Chip Lindsey, Auburn's OC, as someone who would be worth looking at if Riley was given another year.  His philosophy is to build an offense around the QBs you have, whether they are Pro-style or Dual- threat.  He has been a little more pass happy in the past with a 55/45 pass to run ratio but has changed it up this year at Auburn where he is currently at a 65/35 run to pass ratio.

Sounds like the Gus Bus had a little influence if you ask me. Malzhan always runs the football and if you are going to be his OC you better run the football 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I get that but I look at is as this...if you can get better...you get better.

But hiring a coach seen as marginally better may not produce better results. That's the problem I'm having, once you get past your top canidates it becomes even more of a crap shoot determining how they will perform. You could think a guy is a little better than Riley and he could come in and end up being just as bad or better to the point we are winning 7 or 8 a year. That isn't going to cut it and we will be starting over before we know it. That said you don't want to keep holding on to something bad because the right thing hasn't come along yet. It's a delicate balance most definitely but I think after this year we should only be looking for the right thing and not just anything.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sounds like the Gus Bus had a little influence if you ask me. Malzhan always runs the football and if you are going to be his OC you better run the football 

Oh definitely Gus has had a say...The previous 3 years Lindsey was OC, 2 at Southern Miss and 1 at Arizona State, he passed the ball 59, 52 and 50 percent of the time.  

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I don't think Riley necessarily stays, but if the rumors about Frost taking the Gator job are true, and all the other stuff flying around (telling recruits he stays, Boyd and others saying he needs a chance etc), I think it's worth discussing this as much as it is dreaming about who might take his job.  Just wanting a discussion on position coaches as much as people have dedicated themselves to convincing themselves Scott is a shoe in as HC.  

I'm just tired of all the fan boy threads on SF as if there's not other combinations of things that might happen.  Just want a dialogue other than hardon$ about Frost.

Fair enough. All the fan boy posting is annoying. And really the position coaches and coordinators are the majority of the problem. But when you realize Riley is responsible for each and every one of them and the overall direction of the team, he has to be held accountable for that. If Riley would've replaced Langs and Cavanaugh and if he showed some ability to motivate and inspire, it might've worked. He didn't and hasn't so it's over. He had a fair chance to show what he could do. We need a lot tougher mindset than what is being provided. It's been football light and I'm ready for an Imperial IPA.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

Oh definitely Gus has had a say...The previous 3 years Lindsey was OC, 2 at Southern Miss and 1 at Arizona State, he passed the ball 59, 52 and 50 percent of the time.  

I agree though he is a good OC but that 65/35 split is heavy. Wouldn't mind if we did that myself but I doubt that's his style on his own. Regardless we could use that creativity they have in the run game. They were looking good on Saturday.