Diaco sounding off against Rugby Tackling

5 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

So our current DC is taking shots at our old DC. And our old DC is firing back at our current DC. This is a freaking mess that needs to end. I have no idea why media members are getting Banker involved but its not helping the situation at all. 

Banker is still bitter, I have a feeling Eichorst told Riley that Banker needed to be fired. I don't for a second believe Riley fired him on his own. 

• Plus1 2

What's really going to be sad is after all this circus has left town and some time has passed, we're going to get even more stories about how completely disfunctional Riley's staffs have been over the last three years.

Then (maybe) people will finally realize that the blame actually does lie almost completely with the coaches and not the lack of talent, toxic environment, etc. etc. etc.

• Plus1 7

Just now, Dewiz said:

Now wasn’t it Pete Carroll that started implementing the rugby style tackling and then other NFL and College teams followed suit? 

Yeah, but just because it works for one team, doesn’t mean it’s gonna work for them all. Maybe it had to do with the coaches not having complete buy-in last year and the players following suit.

Either way, this is showing how much of a sh*t-show this program is becoming under Riley’s leadership. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Most of the Omaha media speculated that Bobby D wanted to go off on other aspects of the team, rather than his D, but decided to hold back. For instance, his D was playing well against Purdue until the stopped 4th down gave Purdue the short field on their first TD. Then NU should have gone up by 2 scores in the 2nd half last week, but the offense could never do it.

Not saying that the D played well in either of the last 2 games, just trying to see things from Bobby D’s point of view. 

If Bobby is normal, and the jury is still out on that, it has to grind the gears to watch the punt return game.

My favorite part of the Diaco conference tonight was saying Riley is a great coach, he doesn't have enough shelf space for all of his championships or something like that.  made me audibly chuckle

FWIW I think Diaco's defense could work with great talent

Here's what a Notre Dame poster had to say about Diaco on another board:

Spoiler

- Best sound bytes ever
- Great hair
- On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being totally fundamentals focused and 10 being totally scheme focused, he's basically a 2. That's awesome most of the time because your team will tackle well and won't be out of position much. That was basically exactly how our 2012 defense was. It worked extremely well...until it didn't. Bamas players literally laughed at how simple our defense was in the post game of the NC and basically said the game was over before it was played because they out schemed us to hell.

In short, get used to extremely vanilla zone schemes where your defense will beg the opposing offense to flat out out-execute them. Most college offenses won't as long as you have talent on D. When you get out-talented and out-schemed though, whoa those floodgates rip wide open

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, famoustitles said:

My favorite part of the Diaco conference tonight was saying Riley is a great coach, he doesn't have enough shelf space for all of his championships or something like that.  made me audibly chuckle

FWIW I think Diaco's defense could work with great talent

Here's what a Notre Dame poster had to say about Diaco on another board:

Reveal hidden contents

- Best sound bytes ever
- Great hair
- On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being totally fundamentals focused and 10 being totally scheme focused, he's basically a 2. That's awesome most of the time because your team will tackle well and won't be out of position much. That was basically exactly how our 2012 defense was. It worked extremely well...until it didn't. Bamas players literally laughed at how simple our defense was in the post game of the NC and basically said the game was over before it was played because they out schemed us to hell.

In short, get used to extremely vanilla zone schemes where your defense will beg the opposing offense to flat out out-execute them. Most college offenses won't as long as you have talent on D. When you get out-talented and out-schemed though, whoa those floodgates rip wide open

I think Riley’s wife gave him a Husband of the Year trophy for his 60th birthday.  That’s on the trophy shelf. Not sure what else. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Rike Miley said:

There is no point to do that at this time other than stir the pot. He knows the coaches are done. Just let the next three weeks pass without any drama and let it be.

While I agree with you that absolutely nothing good can come of this, this dumpster fire is terrific for the media outlets.  I'd love to see what OWH and LJS subscription numbers have done over the past month or so.

Edited by Xmas32