The Democrat Utopia

2 hours ago, nic said:

I agree that it will be more difficult for Dems to hold the Senate, in general. Thus the push to make Puerto Rico and DC states. Do you think people will still migrate toward the cities though? The crap going on in cities this past year along with the possibility of remote work have seemed to lead to folks leaving cities, at least in the short term. Not sure about a liberal population. I tend to still see a bunch of folks in the middle. It seems like that will grow, with the extreme views getting worse. 

You'd really have to ask sociologists or demographers to really answer those questions. But by and large, yes, economic opportunities are in cities and people are flocking there.  Even with remote work, cities have infrastructure to accommodate them. This is not just in America, but in almost every country around the world. 

As far as politics, the the average voter in the US is center-left. It's why everybody knows that the Democratic nominee for President is going to win the popular vote. This trend will continue, Democrats are likely to win by bigger popular vote margins as time goes on. The electoral college, Senate, and House (and the judiciary as an extension) have a rural bias and thus a Republican bias. 

The concern for the future of our country is the growing gap between the popular vote (which is slowly leaning further to the left) and our institutions which are moving to the right. This gap is untenable, its why political scientists are sounding the alarm for the future of our Democracy.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Obama cracks the Top Ten for the first time. 

It's interesting, and a bit weird, that Obama is downgraded for his relationship with Congress. It's by far his lowest-scoring category. 

But that would seem more relevant if he was the problem. He wasn't. He started his presidency with passage of Obamacare, and he went out of his way to engage with Republicans on the project. It was a bipartisan bill containing many planks of past Republican platforms. Ostensibly they were on board with the plan - until it passed, and they turned heel. 

And this is the same Republican congress that held a meeting the night Obama was inaugurated in which they promised not to work with him and to make him a one-term president. 

So why score him low on something that was, initially, a one-way street? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

A little respect would have been nice 

4 were standing straight ahead, like Mexico and what you would expect, and the others are turned with their hands over their hearts. It sounds like they were looking at the flag. Nothing seems out of place here. 

• Plus1 1

Can somebody explain to me how/why our schools and educational system think they need to be involved in feeding students?

I just saw that California (yeah, I know, it figures) is going to be the first state to provide free lunches for all K-12 students.  I really, really don't get it. Shouldn't they focus on educating and leave the social safety net up to more appropriate agencies. It has always annoyed me that so many parents have kids and they can't, or fail to, take care of them with the basic task and responsibility of feeding them. Why should this issue fall on the schools?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Can somebody explain to me how/why our schools and educational system think they need to be involved in feeding students?

I just saw that California (yeah, I know, it figures) is going to be the first state to provide free lunches for all K-12 students.  I really, really don't get it. Shouldn't they focus on educating and leave the social safety net up to more appropriate agencies. It has always annoyed me that so many parents have kids and they can't, or fail to, take care of them with the basic task and responsibility of feeding them. Why should this issue fall on the schools?

I see no reason why someone at bare minimum middle class and up should be getting free lunches at school.  That's absurd.  

Now, I'm fine with a certain level of free lunches.  It's frustrating that there are so many, but that's more of a social issue than a school issue.  I know in my small town, I have no problem with some kids getting free lunches.  It's not the kid's fault that the parents can't keep a job to feed them.  

True story that really woke my kid's up to this issue.  My daughters were life guards at the local pool.  There's always a certain group of pool rats that hang out and the life guards all tend to love the kids.  One day, my daughter told a kid that he probably needs to go home for supper.  He said, "no, it's my brother's night to eat".  It wasn't a joke.  My daughters started keeping loaves of bread, peanut butter and jelly at the pool for kids like this.  I have no problem with a kid like that getting a free lunch.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Kids are at school during lunch time. Seems pretty natural we'd serve them lunch.

That's not a part of the social safety net, that's simple pragmatism. 

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Kids are at school during lunch time. Seems pretty natural we'd serve them lunch.

That's not a part of the social safety net, that's simple pragmatism. 

Oh agree with the logistics making sense. My problem is with where the funding for it comes from. It is tied up with dollars earmarked for education.

I don't have a problem with feeding needy kids with tax money. I just feel it would be infinitely more transparent to have that funding coming from a source other than education.  Maybe it doesn't matter in the end, if they reduce education funding to increase food dollars, but at least the taxpayer would have a better idea of what's what.

In Greeley approximately 50% of the kids are on free/reduced lunches. That makes a heckuva impact on education budgets. And, like BRB said, there is no reason wealthy people should have their kids fed by the schools. Our kids never once got free or reduced lunches. I just don't understand how California arrived at the place where they are going to feed all K-12 students for free.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

. I just don't understand how California arrived at the place where they are going to feed all K-12 students for free.

i wonder if it might be more cost effIcient to just feed them all rather than go through the process of determining who qualifies?

4 minutes ago, commando said:

i wonder if it might be more cost effIcient to just feed them all rather than go through the process of determining who qualifies?

You may be right. But it’s a pretty sad state of affairs if it costs that much administratively and it still doesn’t provide transparency on what the dollars are really being used for.