The Democrat Utopia

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

https://time.com/4496771/school-lunch-history/

Nobody is disagreeing with you about transparency. I'm agreeing with your general premise but pointing out that common sense has not prevailed as regards school lunch funding, so the schools had to take matters into their own hands.

Fair enough. However it is strange the first assumption responders wanted to make was that obviously I wanted to deny hungry kids a biscuit. It gets annoying when the discussions in P&R are so polarized from the git go.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Fair enough. However it is strange the first assumption responders wanted to make was that obviously I wanted to deny hungry kids a biscuit. It gets annoying when the discussions in P&R are so polarized from the git go.

Yeah, P&R tends to invoke strong opinions, but you also cannonballed in with that initial post on school lunches. I certainly got the impression you didn't want to fund school lunches.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yeah, P&R tends to invoke strong opinions, but you also cannonballed in with that initial post on school lunches. I certainly got the impression you didn't want to fund school lunches.

I suppose the initial post could’ve been taken that way but after reviewing I thought I had it pretty well spelled out by my 2nd post :dunno

Just now, knapplc said:

2nd thoughts? :lol:

29 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

https://time.com/4496771/school-lunch-history/

Nobody is disagreeing with you about transparency. I'm agreeing with your general premise but pointing out that common sense has not prevailed as regards school lunch funding, so the schools had to take matters into their own hands.

The article is trying to tie child Obesity rates in the 80’s and 90’s to school lunches??  Those were the years I ate school lunch and I don’t remember having 1500 calorie feasts for lunch.  I would guess it’s more of the s#!t food the kids eat at home than the school lunch getting them fat. 

‘With less federal support, school lunches in the 1980s and 1990s became increasingly privatized and nutrition standards often took a back seat to the bottom line. This same period saw childhood obesity rates in the United States skyrocket. School lunches were thrust to the forefront of the debate over healthy kids. The patchwork of regulation remaining regarding food safety and wholesomeness led TIME to declare that many school districts were “flunking lunch.”

• Plus1 1

He bungled a rule that he recently signed into law.

No sympathy for you, dork. 

Newsom won’t be listed as Democrat on recall ballot after missed deadline, judge rules

California Gov. Gavin Newsom can’t put his Democratic Party affiliation on the ballot voters see when they decide whether to remove him, a judge ruled Monday.

Newsom’s campaign missed a deadline to submit his affiliation to California Secretary of State Shirley Weber for the Sept. 14 recall election. Newsom’s campaign said it was inadvertent and asked Weber, who was appointed by Newsom, to allow the affiliation to appear.

She said the issue needed to go to a judge, so Newsom filed a lawsuit. Newsom’s Republican opponents criticized the move as an attempt to change rules everyone else must follow.

Newsom’s elections attorney, Thomas Willis, and an attorney for Weber both argued during an hourlong hearing Friday that Newsom merely missed an arbitrary, harmless filing deadline and that it is in the voters’ interest to know his party preference.

Adding that information now wouldn’t cause a procedural problem because elections officials still have enough time to ensure Newsom’s party preference appears on the ballot along with those seeking to replace him, Weber said in a court filing.

“At base this comes down to whether the governor of California has to follow the unambiguous law — and it just so happens, a law that he signed,” countered attorney Eric Early, representing recall supporters including lead proponents Orrin Heatlie and Mike Netter and the California Patriot Coalition.

Sacramento County Superior Court Judge James Arguelles said his decision Monday came down to whether there are reasons to look beyond the Newsom-approved law that required the governor to submit his party affiliation to the state’s top election official by February 2020.

He determined that the law “unambiguously precludes party information from appearing on a recall ballot where the elected officer fails timely to make the designation.”

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The article is trying to tie child Obesity rates in the 80’s and 90’s to school lunches??  Those were the years I ate school lunch and I don’t remember having 1500 calorie feasts for lunch.  I would guess it’s more of the s#!t food the kids eat at home than the school lunch getting them fat. 

‘With less federal support, school lunches in the 1980s and 1990s became increasingly privatized and nutrition standards often took a back seat to the bottom line. This same period saw childhood obesity rates in the United States skyrocket. School lunches were thrust to the forefront of the debate over healthy kids. The patchwork of regulation remaining regarding food safety and wholesomeness led TIME to declare that many school districts were “flunking lunch.”

Oh man the old school lunches!

Chicken patty, two mashed potatoes with gravy on it all...1.90!

• Oh Yeah! 2
20 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

No. Im saying the money to feed them should come from another source. Its pretty simple in my mind. Schools get and spend X dollars to educate. That way all kids get the same learning opportunity. Then the dollars to feed the ones who need it comes from the federal government instead of from school districts.

Is this really blowing you guy’s minds? There are much worse off areas than Greeley. What about some of the inner city schools? I don’t understand why one school district should have to spend 50% of their education budget feeding kids while another spends next to nothing on it. Doesn’t that seem a bit crazy? Why do you think a higher percentage of kids from wealthy areas go on to college and are more educated than poorer areas? Do you guys want to keep the poor folk less educated?

Ummm...the money does come from the federal government.

National School Lunch Program

School Lunch Today Any public school, nonprofit private school, or residential child care institution can participate in the National School Lunch Program and receive federal funds for each meal served. Approximately 95 percent of public schools participate.

During the 2014–2015 school year, 30.5 million children in more than 98,000 schools and residential child care institutions participated in the National School Lunch Program.

On a typical school day, 21.5 million of these 30.5 million total children, or 70 percent, were receiving free or reduced-price lunches.

Any student attending a school that offers the program can receive a lunch. What the federal government covers, and what a student pays, depends on family income: Children from families with incomes at or below 130 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) are eligible for free school meals.

Children from families with incomes between 130 to 185 percent FPL qualify for reduced-price meals and can be charged no more than 40 cents per lunch.

Children from families with incomes above 185 percent FPL pay charges (referred to as “paid meals”), which are set by the school. For the 2016–2017 school year, 130 percent of the FPL was $26,208 per year for a family of three; 185 percent for a family of three was $37,296 per year.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummm...the money does come from the federal government.

National School Lunch Program

See how I went on about nothing :facepalm:

So I guess my next question should be addressed to our school board, the next time they’re whining about the lack of funding and they offer how many kids in the district are on the free/reduced lunch program as some sort of an excuse.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

See how I went on about nothing :facepalm:

So I guess my next question should be addressed to our school board, the next time they’re whining about the lack of funding and they offer how many kids in the district are on the free/reduced lunch program as some sort of an excuse.

Ask them for a breakdown of the costs and the federal money. Some transparency might expose what the actual issues are.

31 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Ask them for a breakdown of the costs and the federal money. Some transparency might expose what the actual issues are.

If I still had kids in the school system I would. But now I can just vote against every tax increase and bond request :lol:

*FYI- I voted for their last money grab*