The Democrat Utopia

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

A lot of churches overseas, especially African nations like Tanzania, see the son as a victim of the evils of the world. He was rejected by everyone around him and/or exploited because of his position in life.   And his father is the only salvation he can count on.

It's isn't really a story about a man squandering his wealth irresponsibly only to humbly come back to his generous and gracious father.

Oh I think all interpretations are debatable. Edit: unless your Baptist. :D Edit2: I just realized we have pastoral connections in Tanzania and South Africa. This might be an interesting topic.

8 hours ago, nic said:

I couple stories from the current border situation. Of course the writer had to take a few bias pot shots instead of of just reporting the peoples comments on the situation. I think it will be telling how these border counties vote in 2022.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-border-town-business-owner-sells-family-bbq-restaurant-multiple-migrant-break-ins

The BBC graphs seem fair.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61989673

Some how this is all Biden's fault

Economic problems and environmental disasters in Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Cuba worsened during the pandemic, forcing some to take on a long and perilous journey north. Gangs and violence have also been given as reasons why some left home.

Part of the cause of the spike has been economic, environmental, and political turmoil in Central America and around the world.

Why don't we go back further than Biden and Trump for more context?

FT_21.11.01_MexicoBorder_1a.png

Interesting! It's almost like encounters at the southern border had been decreasing for over 15 years. Then they started to increase around 2017/2018, and spike before the pandemic, falling again (pandemic going to pandemic), and then spiking after. Kind of like the trend was already set in motion well before a presidential change.

It's also even more interesting when you look at Latin American GDP year by year and see that over all GDP of the region has been decreasing since about 2010. When the above graphs starts trending back up.

It's almost like the President of the US has less to do with illegal entry numbers than the economic situations in the countries those people come from.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/LCN/latin-america-caribbean-/gdp-growth-rate#:~:text=Latin America %26 Caribbean gdp growth rate for 2020 was -6.67,a 0.26% decline from 2017.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
On 9/15/2022 at 7:33 PM, nic said:

It could be in the strange time for Christians thread, but I figured with all the posts about Christians following Trump, loving Putin,  being trans phobic, homo phobic, bigoted and pro abortion, their extinction would be part of a liberal utopia.

And yet there are tons of Christians who oppose Trump and oppose these phobias, seeing as they are pretty much opposite of the teachings of Christ. Pretty sure liberals aren't down with extinctions, either.

The liberal utopia is a world where you can be trans phobic, homo phobic, anti-abortion, and anti-immigrant, but your bigotry is not allowed to determine the lives and self-determination of others. See the difference between those two sides? 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Some how this is all Biden's fault

Why don't we go back further than Biden and Trump for more context?

FT_21.11.01_MexicoBorder_1a.png

Interesting! It's almost like encounters at the southern border had been decreasing for over 15 years. Then they started to increase around 2017/2018, and spike before the pandemic, falling again (pandemic going to pandemic), and then spiking after. Kind of like the trend was already set in motion well before a presidential change.

It's also even more interesting when you look at Latin American GDP year by year and see that over all GDP of the region has been decreasing since about 2010. When the above graphs strat trending back up.

It's almost like the President of the US has less to do with illegal entry numbers than the economic situations in the countries those people come from.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/LCN/latin-america-caribbean-/gdp-growth-rate#:~:text=Latin America %26 Caribbean gdp growth rate for 2020 was -6.67,a 0.26% decline from 2017.

Talk to the BBC. I didn't write the article. And yes the current guy always gets blamed.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And yet there are tons of Christians who oppose Trump and oppose these phobias, seeing as they are pretty much opposite of the teachings of Christ. Pretty sure liberals aren't down with extinctions, either.

The liberal utopia is a world where you can be trans phobic, homo phobic, anti-abortion, and anti-immigrant, but your bigotry is not allowed to determine the lives and self-determination of others. See the difference between those two sides? 

I don't believe this part is true. The vibe I get is that these beliefs automatically be condemned. 

The liberal utopia is a world where you can be trans phobic, homo phobic, anti-abortion, and anti-immigrant

17 minutes ago, nic said:

Talk to the BBC. I didn't write the article. And yes the current guy always gets blamed.

Maybe everyone blaming the current guy is stupid (whether it's Bush, Obama, Trump, or Biden). Maybe a policy of trying to block everyone from entering is stupid. Maybe we should stop putting bandaids on, and try to fix the root cause of the problem, but that would mean elevating other countries and not being America first at all cost. So, I some how doubt many are interested in that.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Maybe everyone blaming the current guy is stupid (whether it's Bush, Obama, Trump, or Biden). Maybe a policy of trying to block everyone from entering is stupid. Maybe we should stop putting bandaids on, and try to fix the root cause of the problem, but that would mean elevating other countries and not being America first at all cost. So, I some how doubt many are interested in that.

This is mostly true. Denmark is very restricted on immigration for example, way more than most. They can also control it easy. I think most people would welcome controlled immigration to the US, not a free for all. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

I don't believe this part is true. The vibe I get is that these beliefs automatically be condemned. 

The liberal utopia is a world where you can be trans phobic, homo phobic, anti-abortion, and anti-immigrant

Condemned? Sure. Both sides are free to disapprove of whatever they want. The difference is that you can't use your personal prejudice to prevent someone else from living how they choose, and that's all the difference in the world. 

1 hour ago, nic said:

This is mostly true. Denmark is very restricted on immigration for example, way more than most. They can also control it easy. I think most people would welcome controlled immigration to the US, not a free for all. 

It's a free for fall? In what way?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Condemned? Sure. Both sides are free to disapprove of whatever they want. The difference is that you can't use your personal prejudice to prevent someone else from living how they choose, and that's all the difference in the world. 

I would agree here. My neighbor said she thinks puberty blockers are dangerous  and would never give them to her kids, but she doesn’t want laws restricting them. I said fine with me, but I also want parents to raise their kids they way they want short of endangering them, of course…. And I am free to have the opinion that parents allowing puberty blockers are making a bad decision. Just one example. A libertarian approach. In my opinion, there are all sorts of ways liberals want regulate what people can believe, think or do. It’s just new laws from the Repubs. If I find some extremely qualified candidate for a job but I am forced to hire a different candidate based on other factors that is a problem not a solution. Or what if my daughter is forced to compete against biological males and I stand up against it and want the option of her competing against only biological women. Will that even be an option soon? You worry about personal prejudice stopping someone from living their lives, how about Biden suggesting changes to Title 9? This goes both ways.

2 hours ago, nic said:

I would agree here. My neighbor said she thinks puberty blockers are dangerous  and would never give them to her kids, but she doesn’t want laws restricting them. I said fine with me, but I also want parents to raise their kids they way they want short of endangering them, of course…. And I am free to have the opinion that parents allowing puberty blockers are making a bad decision. Just one example. A libertarian approach. In my opinion, there are all sorts of ways liberals want regulate what people can believe, think or do. It’s just new laws from the Repubs. If I find some extremely qualified candidate for a job but I am forced to hire a different candidate based on other factors that is a problem not a solution. Or what if my daughter is forced to compete against biological males and I stand up against it and want the option of her competing against only biological women. Will that even be an option soon? You worry about personal prejudice stopping someone from living their lives, how about Biden suggesting changes to Title 9? This goes both ways.

I guess. Again, it's a matter of equivalencies. It goes both ways but I don't think history will look back upon  conservative social norms sympathetically. Just in my lifetime some mainstream beliefs are already looked back on as horrific. And some of the things that threaten conservatives today just strike me as basic human decency. A transgender swimmer or an affirmative action employee might seem a thorny issue, but not the stuff that threatens the Republic. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, nic said:

Have you not seen the videos of crossings? There are human chains across the Rio Grande at times.

How is that a free for all? People have been crossing the border in mass for decades and decades. And there are BP agents apprehending them, right?