The Democrat Utopia

My favorite part of this thread are the conservative posters finding stories that are strange, one off examples of Liberals running amock. Like, yeah, San Francisco is an idiotic mecca of bad policy. We all know that. 

But they act like this is somehow worse than Republicans authoritarian, anti-democratic policy which is actually dangerous. You know, melting the brains of their electorate by trying to convince them an election was stolen? That's actually bad. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My favorite part of this thread are the conservative posters finding stories that are strange, one off examples of Liberals running amock. Like, yeah, San Francisco is an idiotic mecca of bad policy. We all know that. 

But they act like this is somehow worse than Republicans authoritarian, anti-democratic policy which is actually dangerous. You know, melting the brains of their electorate by trying to convince them an election was stolen? That's actually bad. 

100 "kids" bust into a park = Democratic policies are bad...

1000 "adults" break into the US Capital because actual elected Republicans fed them lies = it's just a few bad apples...

:dunno

• TBH 2
6 hours ago, teachercd said:

As someone that grew up there...this is just a another day in Chitown.

Really?

We spent a week there this past summer.  Stayed right in that area for 5 nights.  

Never did myself, my wife, or our middle school aged kids feel unsafe.

Was there a concert in the park the night of this news story?  Who was playing?   When we went there was some band playing (no idea who it was), but police were only letting 21+ into the "concert area".  Listening to the music as we walked by, I don't think anyone under 65 would be lining up to get in...

I grew up rural NE.  The county fair beer garden was where the fun was.  If we had the numbers, we'd have definitely bumrushed the 2 county deputies on duty.  Except our neighbor, uncle, teacher, pastor, etc was in the crowd.  No "blending in" in small towns once you break the security line.

Except for that one time my friends and I went to a street dance like 75 miles from our town.  We walk in (19-20 yo) with coolers like we own the place.  I happen to see my mom's friend, drunk of her keister, and she goes on and on about how she can't believe I'm already 21.  Meanwhile, me and her husband who actually see the police working security try to direct her attention to anything else!

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Really?

We spent a week there this past summer.  Stayed right in that area for 5 nights.  

Never did myself, my wife, or our middle school aged kids feel unsafe.

Was there a concert in the park the night of this news story?  Who was playing?   When we went there was some band playing (no idea who it was), but police were only letting 21+ into the "concert area".  Listening to the music as we walked by, I don't think anyone under 65 would be lining up to get in...

I grew up rural NE.  The county fair beer garden was where the fun was.  If we had the numbers, we'd have definitely bumrushed the 2 county deputies on duty.  Except our neighbor, uncle, teacher, pastor, etc was in the crowd.  No "blending in" in small towns once you break the security line.

Except for that one time my friends and I went to a street dance like 75 miles from our town.  We walk in (19-20 yo) with coolers like we own the place.  I happen to see my mom's friend, drunk of her keister, and she goes on and on about how she can't believe I'm already 21.  Meanwhile, me and her husband who actually see the police working security try to direct her attention to anything else!

Yeah Chicago is weird...it is like 2 different cities.

You can be in Wrigleyville having a great time with no worries and walk 3 blocks away and be in a total cesspool. 

• TBH 1
Just now, teachercd said:

Yeah Chicago is weird...it is like 2 different cities.

You can be in Wrigleyville having a great time with no worries and walk 3 blocks away and be in a total cesspool. 

I get that.  That's any city.

But Mellinium Park was not intimidating at all.  And we were there until 10'ish and walked back to our hotel in River North.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Should have checked out the old Robert Taylor home area!  Ha

nevermind...just did a quick Google...

That's like telling a family visiting the Zoo and Old Market  in Omaha to avoid the gas station at 35th and Ames.

Even our riverboat guide said not to venture south past Chinatown.

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You mean like this?

• Plus1 1

You would think in a place like this board where their is 10-15 people regularly contributing that common sense would emerge.

I get that we all want "our party" to be the better one. (Crazy that "most" of us complain about not even having a party that represents us). But does anyone truly not see how the GOP has gone off the deep end.

I want them back, otherwise the crazies on the left will win.

Mitt Romney would destroy Biden.  And he is a RINO.  Wouldn't even make the general because of GOP voters...

(disclaimer: Biden is not "far left", he and Romney probably aren't as far apart as sane folks are concerned.)

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The funny part is, violent crime in San Francisco is at near historic lows. Property crime is up, based largely on organized catalytic converter theft. Virtually no one is looking at the readily available statistics.

Elon Musk and Fox were all in on the street murder of a tech leader in SF as an example of how the homeless run amok are destroying the city for entrepreneurs. Turns out the murderer was a fellow tech entrepreneur who didn't like the guy banging his sister. I highly doubt that Fox and Musk are walking this back. 

This should probably go in the media bias thread. 

• Plus1 1