The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

As I’ve said, I’ve been against the student loan forgiveness. And, I’m not going to feel sorry for someone living in a million dollar home. 

However, I deal with various kinds of loans every day.  I have for decades. I know how loans work. 

Can someone tell me how someone has a loan that they have made every scheduled payment for years….and now they owe more than the original loan?

Either something isn’t right in the story or the amortization of the loan is wrong and needs fixed. 

I have never had a loan that if I make all the payments, the loan amount increases. 

Yeah, that sounds crazy.  Maybe two student loans were combined?

Or maybe they started classes again and that stopped the payments?

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, sho said:
13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Dollars to donuts she understands her loan now, whether she did when she got them, is pure speculation, but she’s pointing the issue, not saying woe is me

Her post is pointing out an issue SHE has and she is saying poor me.  It’s literally what her post is about.   That she can’t budget correctly to pay off a loan that she took out (as a graduate student mind you, not just some dumb 17 yr old as people like to say).  As a graduate student, she certainly should be smart enough to figure this out.   And hopefully you understand that the top 40% of households in wealth terms hold roughly 60% of the SL debt.  They choose to spend money early in their lives on stuff other than paying their loans off.  

Let me put this into more perspective for you.   She purchased a $1,000,000 home.  Let’s say she put 10% down ($100,000 that could have went towards her student moan btw) and her PI payment on 30 yrs at 5% is $4800.   If instead she purchased a $300,000 home and put down $50,000, her PI payment would be $1,300 at the same terms.  That’s $3,500 every single month she could put towards her SL just by living more modest.   That alone would pay off her loan in what, 5 yrs

People make choices then b!^@h and complain when their choices are stupid.   

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, sho said:

It’s quite comical watching the spin and continue on missing the main point,  staying with your fringe scenarios that you think make you sound informed on the topic when everyone can see that you are just a GOP cuck happily lapping up the mess while those who you support openly reach into your wallet while telling how great it can be, knowing you’ll never be included.  

Why do you need to make a student loan discussion personal?   Calling someone a “cuck” because you don’t like my point of view and that two others who don’t agree with me on much have.   Yet you don’t don’t respond to either one of them??   :facepalm:

BTW….I’m the only one on here constantly saying to never donate to a politician.  So yeah, they aren’t getting into my wallet.    Any chance you want to try and discuss the issue now instead of doing what you do???

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

We have a few business owners posting in here.  Anyone take out PPP loans during the Covid years?  Or know if a friend who had a business that took out PPP loans? 

I took a PPP loan and it was forgiven in full. Honestly I wouldn’t have needed it but I wasn’t sure of that when I got it. Luckily my business actually increased during Covid and it has remained strong since. And no, I don’t feel an ounce of regret or guilt for taking that money. I don’t think anyone would who pays as much in taxes as I do. Finally, once, I benefited. And, if the loan had not been forgiven, I would’ve paid it back just like the loan papers I signed stipulated.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Those who have taken PPP loans would be in an understanding position to be able to say why those loans and student loans are quite different with different circumstances surrounding them.  I thinks it disingenuous when people try and equate the two as if they are the same.   

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Those who have taken PPP loans would be in an understanding position to be able to say why those loans and student loans are quite different with different circumstances surrounding them.  I thinks it disingenuous when people try and equate the two as if they are the same.   

Finally we found something we can agree on.

PPP loans were made available as a way to help prevent millions of people from losing their jobs due to extreme economic conditions. The whole economy could’ve of been in dire trouble without them. And sure, many were abused and pocketed by greedy owners. Like anything our government does, it wasn’t structured or managed very well.

But that is quite different than people borrowing for an education that stands to benefit them directly instead of benefiting the entire economy.

My PPP loan allowed me to erase some business debt and to give across the board raises to my employees to help keep them ahead of inflation. I’ve pretty much raised my pay scales by $5-$10 per hour since the beginning of Covid. That would’ve been tough to do without the amount I got in the PPP loan.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I took a PPP loan and it was forgiven in full. Honestly I wouldn’t have needed it but I wasn’t sure of that when I got it. Luckily my business actually increased during Covid and it has remained strong since. And no, I don’t feel an ounce of regret or guilt for taking that money. I don’t think anyone would who pays as much in taxes as I do. Finally, once, I benefited. And, if the loan had not been forgiven, I would’ve paid it back just like the loan papers I signed stipulated.

Yes, when those came out, nobody knew what the future was. You had a certain amount of time to apply. Our business grew, like yours. We used the money to expand and hire more people. If our business didn’t  grow and was shut down, we would have needed the money to stay afloat. 

On 6/30/2023 at 1:13 PM, Lorewarn said:

All you have to do to be safe and fine and in the clear is not willfully harass or threaten or terrorize someone on the basis of their gender identity. Really not that hard.

Fz0Bq5EXgAIothc?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I hope they really don’t mean how someone “feels”. Feelings seems pretty fragile these days. Anyone truly terrorizing someone else is not right in general regardless of pronouns. How quickly have kids learned to use the phrase “l don’t feel safe”, just to get their way?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
23 minutes ago, nic said:

I hope they really don’t mean how someone “feels”. Feelings seems pretty fragile these days. Anyone truly terrorizing someone else is not right in general regardless of pronouns. How quickly have kids learned to use the phrase “l don’t feel safe”, just to get their way?

Let's say someone was stalking you for no reason at all, but they were absolutely stalking you. 

How would you convince the police that you were actually threatened, frightened and terrorized, and not just that you felt that way?

7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Let's say someone was stalking you for no reason at all, but they were absolutely stalking you. 

How would you convince the police that you were actually threatened, frightened and terrorized, and not just that you felt that way?

Ummm, evidence?  

Maybe, proof?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

What kind of evidence/proof?

For a stalker case?

Well, video evidence would clearly be the best.  Screenshotted texts and/or social media messages.  Saved voice mails, things like that.

But to be able to call a cop and go "I FEEL like..." and every gets arrested is a slippery slope.  I mean, you could be a MAGA fan and say "This Lib is making me FEEL unsafe" and because you felt it, the cop would have to arrest that lib.  

• TBH 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

For a stalker case?

Well, video evidence would clearly be the best.  Screenshotted texts and/or social media messages.  Saved voice mails, things like that.

But what do those videos and texts etc. contain inside them that makes them legitimate evidence? 

• Haha 1