Bill Callahan is officially no longer Nebraska's worst, modern era coach

3 hours ago, NWHuskerfan said:

Bill Callahan is highly respected in the NFL and considered one of the best line coaches in the game. 

Think what you want, but the man knows Football.

And he always belonged in the NFL where guys already know how to pound the rock, and always go with half a pack.  

11 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

This is closer to the truth for me than the "old ball coach was a really good guy who just forgot how to coach football" bit.

Dang.  If any other state contract failed that bad, and walked away without remuneration there would be a state auditors investigation.

There should be some way to repudiate these exhorbitant contracts.  I.E. you lose X number of games in three years and your payments are null and void.

He should pay NU back for this year, 3 mil, whatever it is.

12 hours ago, Landlord said:

'Because he's nice' is a bit needlessly reductive. The answer is because people have different definitions of what constitutes greatness, and for at least some of us, Mike Riley's character, how he embraced this state and program, how he led young men, and a lot of other things that don't show up in a box score, count towards it.

The only thing pathetic is this post and the mindset that it represents. This football season may be the worst you've seen in 55 years of watching, but your post is the worst and most disgraceful I've seen in my ten years on Huskerboard.

Could care less what you think.

Edited by Big Red Commie
  • Plus1 2

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

I remember when Johnny Rodgers came to Riley's defense and there was some "who cares what one former player thinks". I'd welcome Dominic to elaborate on his comments and explain what a dips#!t Riley was.

• Plus1 2

OF COURSE(!) Riley was all "magnanimous" at his final presser, I mean he`s counting the dollar signs in his head just standing there!  Buyout City, baby, wow, what a "great" guy!

NE makes worst coach since Bill Jennings, w record setting lows in "achievement" a multimillionaire.

Only in America....

Edited by Big Red Commie
  • Plus1 2

A conversation I had with an OSU fan at the game. I had second row seats at the 47 yard line, and was watching all but about 2 players not giving a crap, and a woman from OSU came up and asked, "what in the hell is the problem here", you have first class facilities, a great stadium with 90000 fans, how can you guys be this bad. I answered that we had the Tazmanian Devil as the coach and we hired the Easter Bunny. She asked wouldn't you rather have an A-Hole and win??? I have to wonder looking back, if we had hired Moos instead of Satan's cousin, how it all would have came out. I also wonder if T Mart. had been healthy for 4 years as much as everyone seems to hate him, how many more games would have been won.  B.C. left the team loaded with talent. Time will tell what is left for the next coach.

• Plus1 1

On 11/27/2017 at 0:17 AM, dvdcrr said:

This is closer to the truth for me than the "old ball coach was a really good guy who just forgot how to coach football" bit.

Dang.  If any other state contract failed that bad, and walked away without remuneration there would be a state auditors investigation.

There should be some way to repudiate these exhorbitant contracts.  I.E. you lose X number of games in three years and your payments are null and void.

I'm guessing you're referring to the buyout portion of the contract correct?  It would be interesting if a clause like that ever got put into a contract like that (for the record I don't think it happens anytime soon as it would be a big competitive disadvantage).  To me a logical way agents would counter said language would be to insist on a healthy bonus for every game a coach won (like $250k+).  At the same time you need the huge buyout to protect yourself from getting your coach snatched.  It's an interesting hypothetical.  I wonder how big a win bonus you would need to offer to get a coach to sign off on something like that.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:36 AM, I.M. OLD said:

A conversation I had with an OSU fan at the game. I had second row seats at the 47 yard line, and was watching all but about 2 players not giving a crap, and a woman from OSU came up and asked, "what in the hell is the problem here", you have first class facilities, a great stadium with 90000 fans, how can you guys be this bad. I answered that we had the Tazmanian Devil as the coach and we hired the Easter Bunny. She asked wouldn't you rather have an A-Hole and win??? I have to wonder looking back, if we had hired Moos instead of Satan's cousin, how it all would have came out. I also wonder if T Mart. had been healthy for 4 years as much as everyone seems to hate him, how many more games would have been won.  B.C. left the team loaded with talent. Time will tell what is left for the next coach.

With the T Magic deal we would not have won a lot more because those coaches never developed anybody, on offense, not even Tmart, and they never had a Plan B.

Edited by dvdcrr

Cal graphic was pretty much equal to Riley's graphic.

pmPqAZ1.png

And Huskers' eclipsed OU drought:

Switzer --> Gibbs...failed*** --> Howard...failed --> Blake...failed --> Stoops...success. 4th time's a charm.

Osborne --> Solich...failed*** --> Callahan...failed --> Bo...failed*** --> Riley...failed --> New coach...... ??

***questionable

Frosted Cereal ? :D

222_65_ucp.jpg

Edited by Hooked on Huskers
  • Plus1 1
14 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

With the T Magic deal we would not have won a lot more because those coaches never developed anybody, on offense, not even Tmart, and they never had a Plan B.

So.... you might want to look at his passing stats year to year. Completion % went up every year. Most of his picks were deep balls, that he could not throw but short and intermediate were actually decent. Those guys were mostly open when TMart was healthy because the defenders were more concerned with TM’s feet. 

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

Especially not Roy Helu Jr., Rex Burkhead, and Ameer Abdullah. 

You left off a bunch of D Tackles and several O linemen 

• Plus1 1