Is Scott Frost the ONLY Answer?

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Not saying we want to or will, but bankruptcy?  PLEASE

We get $51 million per year from our tv deal alone.  The university has 2 billion in its general fund.

Yep, this isn't Iowa State.  Boosters have said that this time, money is not an obstacle.  Fix football.  No matter the cost.  Nebraska profited $10 million last year in football, and that was $25 million less than they will make this year.

9 minutes ago, CornKing said:

I Think I might be the only one in the state that is just not sold on SF.  I would really hate firing another beloved son of our program which let's face it, unless he has us playing in minimally a ten 10 championship in 4 years we would do.  

Yes, and no.  I think a lot depends on the overhaul that would need to be done, the progress that the team is making under Frost, and if Moos is still around as AD.  I honestly think Frost would have the team winning the division by year 3.

8 minutes ago, CornKing said:

I Think I might be the only one in the state that is just not sold on SF.  I would really hate firing another beloved son of our program which let's face it, unless he has us playing in minimally a ten 10 championship in 4 years we would do.  

What if he does a bad job? Then what? Hiring a native son to "save" your program is a noble concept, but what if the fairy tale ending doesn't happen?

I'm not saying this is a reason to not hire him..... but I would really hate to see people turn on him the way they turned on previous occupants of this position. As I've said previously in this thread, there is a history of people getting on his case as a player. I can't imagine what would happen if his coaching career went south.

My gut feeling is that he turns us down.... it's absolute maximum risk / maximum reward; he may not want that.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, and no.  I think a lot depends on the overhaul that would need to be done, the progress that the team is making under Frost, and if Moos is still around as AD.  I honestly think Frost would have the team winning the division by year 3.

I think he has the talent and style that would work in the big ten however whoever is hired needs to  win and win big to appease our rabid fan base.  I just think that SF would need a little more time to adjust.

Edited by CornKing

4 minutes ago, CornKing said:

I think he has the talent and style that would work in the big ten however whoever is hired needs to  win and win big to appease our rabid fan base.  I just think that SF would need a little more time to adjust.

And I think someone like Frost would be given patience to succeed.  I think Bo surprised many NU fans by succeeding so quickly, but fell out of favor because of his crappy demeanor.  Riley never did anything to be given "more time".

50 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Yep...to poach Campbell it'll cost you 10 million just to start...then you have to add in maybe 2.5 million more for his salary...plus a like amount of money for his staff...looking at 15 million right there.  Then you have to add in what's left of Riley's contract and his staff...along with whatever is left from the Pelini contract...oh, and that AD you just got rid of and the new salary that your new AD commands over and above the fired guy....

How you paying for that?  Maybe with declining ticket prices and merchandise sales?  You want to risk bankrupting the athletic department on Campbell?  More power to you I guess...

Thank you for just listing all the reasons that NU is different then ISU - We can afford all those and ISU can't stop it!!!

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

What if he does a bad job? Then what? Hiring a native son to "save" your program is a noble concept, but what if the fairy tale ending doesn't happen?

I'm not saying this is a reason to not hire him..... but I would really hate to see people turn on him the way they turned on previous occupants of this position. As I've said previously in this thread, there is a history of people getting on his case as a player. I can't imagine what would happen if his coaching career went south.

My gut feeling is that he turns us down.... it's absolute maximum risk / maximum reward; he may not want that.

your right - i see him going the high school route.  Guy like him doesn't want risk/reward.  Do you really think that back in 1995 TO and him didn't have a talk about how much risk he would deal with coming back to NU?

I'm sure TO probably prepared him for everything.... and I'm sure if Scott does get hired that TO will probably be among the first people to reach out.

Don't get me wrong.... I think he's the guy I'd like to see coaching here, but he has a very difficult task ahead of him and if it doesn't work out, it could be ugly. Of course, I could also see people resenting him if he didn't take the job, kinda like the Stanford thing. It seems like everything is a bit more delicate with Frost.

Frost is not the only answer, but he is clearly 1a.  I don't really think that there is a clear cut 1b yet, so lets look at 2's.

Campbell could be a good hire, but don't think he wants this job right now.  If you can't get Frost, then stay out of the AAC conference.  IF Frost says no, then weigh all your options.  Don't just settle for another 2nd best candidate like we have don'e for the last 3 hires.  

I liked Mullen along time ago as well, but don't know his status as of today.  If Frost says no, and we end up hiring someone like Bohl, that will say alot about our program.

3 hours ago, tfree32 said:

I think Mike Leach may be headed to Tennessee. If Frost backs out of the handshake deal with Moos, I’m confident Moos has a solid backup plan.

Did you personally see them shake hands? Nothing from Moos interview today seems to suggest any of that happening. At this point, it seems that we all want Scott Frost but we do not have a second choice that would make more than 20% of the fans happy.