Weird Time for Christians

15 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Didn't 81% vote for him?

So that's....improvement?

Not really...

I assume this poll is supposed to represent all evangelicals, not just voting evangelicals, and voting for him isn't as bad as supporting him 2.5 years in. You can vote for someone, find out after they're elected that you made a mistake, then decide you don't approve of or support them anymore. They're not doing that.

OK, WOW DOES THIS PASTOR HAVE THE WRONG IDEA ABOUT THE RELIGION HE ESPOUSES.

'America: Love or Leave it' sign at Virginia church drawing both concerns and support

A church sign in Appomattox is drawing both support and criticism on social media and beyond.

Those traveling down this stretch of Red House Road drive right past this Friendship Baptist Church sign that reads, “America: Love it or Leave It.”

"Since we’ve had favorable comments on it, I thought I’d just leave it a while," said Pastor E. W. Lucas, Friendship Baptist Church.

Pastor E. W. Lucas and his wife shared how he has put up signs since he started the church in 1979.

"I thought I was going to make some remarks regarding the situation in Washington," said Lucas.

Then he had a revelation.

“It just came to me. I just said, ‘America, I love it. If you don’t love it, leave it," said Lucas.

And WOW DID HE MISTAKE HOW HIS CONGREGATION WOULD TAKE IT.

Congregation walks out of service amid church sign controversy

The congregation at a local church walked out of the service on Sunday, July 21.

A sign at a local church has gone viral in connection to President Trump's comments to Congresswomen.

Pastor E.W. Lucas put up the sign "America: Love it or leave it" at Friendship Baptist Church in Appomattox.

Some support his stance but he's also facing backlash from people across the country and from people in his own congregation.

Lucas says during the Sunday school service, some members of his church led the congregation out of the service in a stance against him.

He says members were upset with the national attention the church received.

Lucas says he stands behind his decision to keep the sign out front.

"I've tried to be honest," Lucas said. "I've tried to do what's right. But I believe in my country. I love my country. And I don't mind standing up for the country."

I'm just going to guess he's not a big fan of basing sermons off stories like The Good Samaritan. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I'm just going to guess he's not a big fan of basing sermons off stories like The Good Samaritan. 

That's an interesting statement.  I sat through a sermon a couple weeks ago about The Good Samaritan that would completely disagree with this idiot.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

"I've tried to be honest," Lucas said. "I've tried to do what's right. But I believe in my country. I love my country. And I don't mind standing up for the country."

MAYBE.....as a pastor, he needs to rethink his priorities.

I came across this interview wt a guy who wrote about the book of Romans from a bit of a different perspective.  

In the book,  Reading Romans Backwards: A Gospel of Peace in the Midst of Empire by Scot McKnight he notes that the book isn't primarily about

one's personal salvation (he touches on that in the interview) but about getting the already 'saved' Jews and Gentiles in Rome to live together as co-equals.

Stressing to avoid the rif of poor vs rich, one ethnic group vs another.    I think this really applies to the USA today.  We look too much at our differences

and not what we have in common.   We allow agitators like Trump on the right and others on the left to stir us up in a we vs them war.  So people end up talking

over each other or at each other instead of talking to each other and understanding each other. That is modern politics. 

I like how he sums it up below as he compares Romans to the world we live in today.

https://religionnews.com/2019/07/25/romans-is-not-about-your-salvation-says-bible-scholar-scot-mcknight/

RNS: At the very end of the book you say that in our current situation, Romans is more relevant to the American church than any other book of the Bible. Why is this needed right now?

McKnight: Let’s start with politics. We are in a situation right now where progressives look at conservatives as deplorables, as hillbillies, as white trash. On the opposite side, conservatives see progressives as breaking down the tradition of America. They see them as abandoning the ways that made us who we are.

The church has foolishly chosen to play the same game that the culture is playing right now, making the church indistinguishable from society—whether you want to talk about progressives or conservatives. That is not unlike the Weak and Strong problem that Paul talks about. Paul says in Romans 14:1 that we’re to welcome each other, and not for the purpose of quarrelling over opinions. The same-sex debate is a symptom of this: a politicized theological debate where people cannot talk to one another. It’s a zero-sum game.

So we live in a world where it’s very like the world of the Christians in Rome in the first century. What Paul says can help us today: treat one another as siblings, realize that we have differences, and our responsibility is to tolerate one another in our differences. But instead, these debates are dividing the Church just like they’re dividing society, and the church should be a peacemaking people.

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

In no way can (nor should) the Bible be applied to the United States or its politics.  IF you're a Christian...Christianity isn't just American and thus doesn't just apply to America or its politics.  If you're a Christian, you know that Jesus, in spite of pressure from all sides, turned down becoming a political messiah and did not push his teachings for political change...in fact, every time the subject was breached he preached the separation of politics and religion.

Lastly, the Bible was written during a different time, for a different audience...it's a LIBRARY of books...they don't all agree and they are not an anthology by the same author.  I think people misapply this every single day...because they wish it were different and so the WILL it to be different.  I don't feel the Bible can be applied today to anything at all...I'm sure many Judaeo-Christians here will disagree and we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Jesus didn't exactly "endorse" most of what the democrats are trying to push either, so buzz off that non sense.

You're trying to use Jesus as a reason to remove Jesus from our culture and world view. I hope you, and the folks who up voted, understand how oxymoronic that is.

Culture shapes politics. And the laws in this country, esp the non racist laws, are built from Christianity.... Which is why Christians get upset that our culture has devolved to the extent that it has, and then we get told by one side of the isle that it's our own world view that has messed it all up. We're living a post-Christian culture with a fundamentally Christian constitution..... Bizarro world man. 

50 minutes ago, Oade said:

Jesus didn't exactly "endorse" most of what the democrats are trying to push either, so buzz off that non sense.

You're trying to use Jesus as a reason to remove Jesus from our culture and world view. I hope you, and the folks who up voted, understand how oxymoronic that is.

Culture shapes politics. And the laws in this country, esp the non racist laws, are built from Christianity.... Which is why Christians get upset that our culture has devolved to the extent that it has, and then we get told by one side of the isle that it's our own world view that has messed it all up. We're living a post-Christian culture with a fundamentally Christian constitution..... Bizarro world man. 

Isn't the idea of the Constitution to not be associated with religion? 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Isn't the idea of the Constitution to not be associated with religion? 

Religious governing body's, like the Vatican, sure. But apart from God? Nope, not at all.

It does outline the fact that we shouldn't harm, prohibit, or discriminate against anyone from any religion, for any reason really. But of course, that's one of the bedrocks of Christianity, I'm pretty confident the founders were aware of that.