Weird Time for Christians

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Maybe it's about time we rethink the tax exempt status of the church.

Can you elaborate on this? I can’t really tell why you would come to that conclusion from this tweet. Are you saying this because nuns are showing up at Trump events? 

Removing tax exempt status from churches would be an interesting move. Would you propose removing that status from any nonprofit with religious affiliations of any kind?

2 minutes ago, jaws said:

Can you elaborate on this? I can’t really tell why you would come to that conclusion from this tweet. Are you saying this because nuns are showing up at Trump events? 

Removing tax exempt status from churches would be an interesting move. Would you propose removing that status from any nonprofit with religious affiliations of any kind?

Any non-profit who engages in politics, yes.

Churches enjoy tax-exempt status in part because of the separation of church & state. If the church decides to engage in politics, fine. But treat them like any other organization at that point and tax them.

These women have other clothes than their habits. They have every right to attend a political event - but wearing the habit is an overt statement linking their faith with their politics. That they chose to link the two is an issue.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Any non-profit who engages in politics, yes.

Churches enjoy tax-exempt status in part because of the separation of church & state. If the church decides to engage in politics, fine. But treat them like any other organization at that point and tax them.

These women have other clothes than their habits. They have every right to attend a political event - but wearing the habit is an overt statement linking their faith with their politics. That they chose to link the two is an issue.

What about someone from a nonprofit where their religion requires them to dress a certain way? Should they be allowed to attend a political event without jeopardizing their organization’s nonprofit status?  

4 minutes ago, jaws said:

What about someone from a nonprofit where their religion requires them to dress a certain way? Should they be allowed to attend a political event without jeopardizing their organization’s nonprofit status?  

I'm not sure which nonprofit you have in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, knapplc said:

On 10/30/2020 at 1:57 PM, jaws said:

I'm not arguing for or against anything with the following, but just wanted to point out that some churches still require nuns to wear a habit anytime they're outside of the church and/or in a public setting as part of their code. Some nuns also treat their habit as an acute part of their identity and commitment to the Church and God, therefore not wearing one isn't really an option for some of them.

29 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not arguing for or against anything with the following, but just wanted to point out that some churches still require nuns to wear a habit anytime they're outside of the church and/or in a public setting as part of their code. Some nuns also treat their habit as an acute part of their identity and commitment to the Church and God, therefore not wearing one isn't really an option for some of them.

Attending a political rally is an option, however.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Attending a political rally is an option, however.

I don't know the context of that photo or those nuns, but if they were there as citizen voters and are bound by a religious code to wear their habit, I guess I don't have a problem with it. Would we apply equal weight or concern to someone wearing a yamaka, kufi hat or hijab? Those religions' representatives usually wear those.

I think it'd be different if the nuns were there to speak and opine for Trump in an official church capacity. If they were, that'd be an issue. But if they're just as there as citizens... I think they have every legal right to be there, correct?

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know the context of that photo or those nuns, but if they were there as citizen voters and are bound by a religious code to wear their habit, I guess I don't have a problem with it. Would we apply equal weight or concern to someone wearing a yamaka, kufi hat or hijab? Those religions' representatives usually wear those.

Not every person who wears a yarmulke is a Rabbi, and kufis are as common as baseball caps in parts of Africa, and they have no religious significance to many who wear them. Hijabs are, likewise, not worn by someone who has taken a vow to serve their religion. Wearers of hijabs are not representatives of The Church, and are not analogous to Nuns. The bold is not true in that sense.

48 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think it'd be different if the nuns were there to speak and opine for Trump in an official church capacity.

Holding this sign, they are explicitly there to support trump, and wearing those Habits they are specifically representing the Church.

There's a clear difference between being a member of a religious community and being a representative of that community, much like a person can be a member of a political party but not be that party's representative.

A quick google shows there were quite a few Nuns vocally supporting trump through the campaign. That's troubling.

53 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Not every person who wears a yarmulke is a Rabbi, and kufis are as common as baseball caps in parts of Africa, and they have no religious significance to many who wear them. Hijabs are, likewise, not worn by someone who has taken a vow to serve their religion. Wearers of hijabs are not representatives of The Church, and are not analogous to Nuns. The bold is not true in that sense.

Those articles of clothing still carry considerable religious meaning to the people who do wear them for religious purposes. Many Muslim women wear a hijab certainly for the purpose of religion and religious expression, for example.

It sounds like you view a habit as being more of an employee uniform like a mechanic may wear than an article of clothing for religious expression. While that is an interesting interpretation, it lacks nuance, as a habit is both in many cases. And, as mentioned, they are often required to be worn when in public.

I don't know what you want them to do, I guess. Never attend political events as a citizen because of their religious beliefs and code? I affirmatively believe in the separation of church and state, but we should be considerate of those who have to balance something else i.e. religious code.

A quick google shows there were quite a few Nuns vocally supporting trump through the campaign. That's troubling.

I agree.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...