Weird Time for Christians

FWIW @admo, I don't think your feelings/comments are completely unwarranted. There a lot of good people that are Christians just as there are a lot of good people who follow no religion at all. There are also a lot of bad people who are Christians and a lot of bad people who follow no religion.

Comments like the one Blitz made are intended to be contentious and cynical by nature, but it's important to not take them too seriously. I think most honest people will admit that dealing in absolutes is rarely a good idea.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, admo said:

Moiraine, I appreciate you a lot.  I think you are very, very intelligent.  I do agree with what you said about that. Sometimes I just get worn down, and I did not make a good argument about it.  I am sorry. 

I will add, I don't think religion causes anyone to do bad things. If religion didn't exist, bad people would find some other excuse to hurt people. Actually, we see it right in front of us with politics, and of course in Communist countries where they reduce religion's influence/make it illegal.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Don't sweat it. We have ALL been there. Some of us get there a lot. 

AMEN BROTHER!

2 hours ago, admo said:

I do agree with what you said about that. Sometimes I just get worn down, and I did not make a good argument about it.

I appreciate your spirit brother.  

• Plus1 1

Religion is pretty neutral in terms of the behavior and morality of mankind. A lot of good and done both in the name of and against it, people still stay pretty much the same. I know some amazing Christians and I know so many stuffy judgmental Christians when all the gay/atheist/muslim friends I had were kind and gracious.

admo's post reaked of self-righteousness that they're more noble and enlightened than the rest of us pitiful souls who have tempers and anger. Which I still think it was, but also, it happens and we all do it. I've been a pompous a$$ on this board more times than could be counted.

• 3 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It is so obvious that he has no clue what he’s talking about with religion. He’s just rambling in a way that he thinks he can get the evangelical vote. Sad thing is, it works for a lot of them. 

https://twitter.com/susan_hennessey/status/1291446450442862594?s=21

This is when media needs to run with headlines like: "Trump Claims Biden is Stronger Than God!"

52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It is so obvious that he has no clue what he’s talking about with religion. He’s just rambling in a way that he thinks he can get the evangelical vote. Sad thing is, it works for a lot of them. 

Ok, Biden is a life long Catholic - not pro-life in the abortion sense - but he isn't against God, or can damage God or religion.  I think God and religion has seen worse and have stood the test of time, thank-you.  Let's talk about  - worse in a guy like trump who tries to wear the mantle but whose actions are damaging the image of the faith that he wears on his sleeves.  Worse is hyjacking the loyalty of believers and perverting their view of justice, mercy, and love and redefining neighbor not as an immigrant but as someone who looks like me.    None of us are perfect vessels or perfect representation of what we profess, that is why there is grace and mercy, so it speaks of religious bigotry to be attacking another person's faith.  Trump is again using religion as a prop, as a red meat campaign issue - it is shallow, it is old, and it won't work.

There's no doubt that a lot of "Christians" do horrible sh#t that is not Christian like at all. But it's weird that some have such an adverse reaction when someone points out that many Christians are not hypocrites and do act in a Christian manner. I guess I learned long ago that the common denominator for good or bad actions is not religion or faith or the lack thereof but rather it is people themselves.

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...