Weird Time for Christians

24 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And she doubled down

As a guy that was occasionally forced to go to or participate in church, the f#&%ing Eucharist says: Christ has died. Christ has risen. Christ will come again. 

• TBH 1
  • 2 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good article.  As I’ve said before my biggest concern for the Christian church is it’s link to one party. It misrepresents the gospel message in doing so and attaches itself to a false savior. This study bears this out

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-power-do-christians-really-have/

I'll admit, I have to constantly remind myself to treat Christians like folks of other faiths.

I left the church because it became political and reflected on what  I actually believed.  I realized I attended church because it was my tradition and nothing more.  Being asked to teach a middle school Sunday School class is what finally did me in.  I had no problem talking to little kids about how we should love and forgive each other; those are great things.  But I honestly felt like I was lying to the middle schoolers when I had to teach about Jesus resurrecting and how he'll come again.  I couldn't do it.

Since then, I've felt more "bitter" towards Christianity.  Probably because I feel the freedom to since I was one of them.  But even though I didn't practice Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc, I always felt it was important to respect their faiths as long as it wasn't causing harm.  I need to remind myself to do that with Christians when they say things like "praise God" etc.  

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good article.  As I’ve said before my biggest concern for the Christian church is it’s link to one party. It misrepresents the gospel message in doing so and attaches itself to a false savior. This study bears this out

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-power-do-christians-really-have/

Jesus was a Republican right??   :D

My views on the Church and Government changed when I started teaching Church history and Studying the Pauline Epistles.  I haven't seen much evidence that they did anything with Government politics.  The loved people and served those in need.  They raised the babies left to die at the dumps of the cities and took care of the poor.  They thrived in spite of the Romans.

The Christian Church started going down hill at the Edict of Milan.  

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'll admit, I have to constantly remind myself to treat Republicans like folks of other parties.

I left the party because it became political and reflected on what  I actually believed.  I realized I voted republican because it was my tradition and nothing more.  Being asked to support candidates that were awful people is what finally did me in.  I had no problem talking people about conservative issues and supporting them.  But I honestly felt like I was lying to people when I would talk about how great the Republican party is.  I couldn't do it.

Since then, I've felt more "bitter" towards Republican party.  Probably because I feel the freedom to since I was one of them.  But even though I didn't vote Democrat, I always felt it was important to respect their views as long as it wasn't causing harm.  I need to remind myself to do that with Republicans when they say things like "MAGA" etc.  

Funny, I could have wrote the exact same thing with these changes.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
12 hours ago, funhusker said:

I'll admit, I have to constantly remind myself to treat Christians like folks of other faiths.

I left the church because it became political and reflected on what  I actually believed.  I realized I attended church because it was my tradition and nothing more.  Being asked to teach a middle school Sunday School class is what finally did me in.  I had no problem talking to little kids about how we should love and forgive each other; those are great things.  But I honestly felt like I was lying to the middle schoolers when I had to teach about Jesus resurrecting and how he'll come again.  I couldn't do it.

Since then, I've felt more "bitter" towards Christianity.  Probably because I feel the freedom to since I was one of them.  But even though I didn't practice Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc, I always felt it was important to respect their faiths as long as it wasn't causing harm.  I need to remind myself to do that with Christians when they say things like "praise God" etc.  

Yes the relatively small subset (compared to the worldwide church) of right wing MAGA church goers should not taint the whole. It seems large only because it is so vocal in the USA and because trump has “weaponized” that subset. The church is made up of a large variety of cultures and traditions. Good chance you’d fine one that you could more readily relate too and become an avenue of support / social resource for you

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Jesus was a Republican right??   :D

My views on the Church and Government changed when I started teaching Church history and Studying the Pauline Epistles.  I haven't seen much evidence that they did anything with Government politics.  The loved people and served those in need.  They raised the babies left to die at the dumps of the cities and took care of the poor.  They thrived in spite of the Romans.

The Christian Church started going down hill at the Edict of Milan.  

Bingo.  It has been said that the church is best/strongest when it is on the outside looking in as the persecuted church. The political church is not what Jesus spoke of when he said he’s going to build his kingdom 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

:yeah

Sadly, I find myself making similar assumptions based on politics.  

If I learn someone shares my politics they're already a step ahead of someone who supports the GOP when I begin making a determination of their morals and respect for others and if they have a future as a friend or foe in my life.  

Wish it hadn't been proven the right assumption so many times, and I really am trying to be aware of having a more open mind about it - but right now, if someone is on board with republican candidates I feel they're showing their cards, and that they're ok with misogyny, they're anti science, they're anti gay, anti immigrant, lack an appreciation of diversity etc and I simply don't have room in my life to try and understand how someone can feel that others are not equal and deserving of respect.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?   This is a very common theme from jus postings. 

Frenchy hasn’t met a proactive war he didn’t like yet he talks of religion.  He would fit right in during the Crusades.  Just my opinion.  

But he’s right on the previous quote.  It’s a shame when people ditch friends based on their current politics.   Or a shame when people assume or feel like another person they never met is some horrible person based on a political affiliation.  Quite silly. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Frenchy hasn’t met a proactive war he didn’t like yet he talks of religion.  He would fit right in during the Crusades.  Just my opinion.  

But he’s right on the previous quote.  It’s a shame when people ditch friends based on their current politics.   Or a shame when people assume or feel like another person they never met is some horrible person based on a political affiliation.  Quite silly. 

Translation.

You don't like him because he has spoken out about Christians devotion to Trump and how that is not true Christianity.  Which, is exactly what the quote in the tweet is about.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Translation.

You don't like him because he has spoken out about Christians devotion to Trump and how that is not true Christianity.  Which, is exactly what the quote in the tweet is about.  

Dude what’s your issue here?  I totally agreed with what he said in that post.

I told you why I didn’t like him which had nothing to do with Trump.   No translation needed.  At some point stop bringing Trump into every post when it’s not needed. 

• Thanks 1