Troy Walters: ‘No Block, No Rock’

Mavric

7 minutes ago, husker98 said:

This is a fair concern.

And well founded considering the struggles of our last two staffs. 

This staff will also get a longer leash as long as they give the appearance of becoming competitive. Maybe not fair to the previous staff, but it is what it is. 

37 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

This staff will also get a longer leash as long as they give the appearance of becoming competitive. Maybe not fair to the previous staff, but it is what it is. 

I think it’s completely fair as long as we see the signs of improvement I think we will. I think the differences between the two staffs and what they can get out of the players will be overly apparent. Huge difference between putting a respectable effort out there and whatever it was that has been going on the previous few years. One deserves a longer leash and the other a choke collar.

• Plus1 1

Every previous misstep was confirmation that the coaches were a poor fit for our program something that we all intrinsically or subconsciously believed and hence the short leash.  Although I believe that most, if not all, of our previous coaches had enough football knowledge to win, they lacked having a head coach with enough leadership skills to manage their egos and put a decent product on the field. I’m willing to bet that the next staff will be a unit rather than a hodgepodge mix of hole pluggers. 

• Plus1 1

Frost has a golden ticket. He's 'one of our own.' He will get to do things we've complained about with other coaches.

As far as Frost as HC, that hire makes sense whether he was a Husker or not. Hottest up and coming name in coaching. Other big football programs rumored to be after him. All coaches will bring a staff that they think is loyal and familiar with their systems but it didn't even seem like Frost looked at anyone else. Could be wrong?

Bo 'hired' his buddies.' Many people were upset that Riley brought so many of his friends from Oregon State. Frost has done all of this but it is OK because he won an NC here?

As for the 'No Block, No Rock' that stuff plays great with a blue collar pound the rock mentality and it caters to a fan base with glory days based in running the ball. I wonder how it plays with elite receiver recruits?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, macroboy said:

Frost has a golden ticket. He's 'one of our own.' He will get to do things we've complained about with other coaches.

As far as Frost as HC, that hire makes sense whether he was a Husker or not. Hottest up and coming name in coaching. Other big football programs rumored to be after him. All coaches will bring a staff that they think is loyal and familiar with their systems but it didn't even seem like Frost looked at anyone else. Could be wrong?

Bo 'hired' his buddies.' Many people were upset that Riley brought so many of his friends from Oregon State. Frost has done all of this but it is OK because he won an NC here?

It is ok this time mainly because his group of guys just went 12-0. Riley's group were about to get fired.

• Plus1 4

I don't disagree at all. As some others have said, we've tried all the other versions.

We did the incumbent  home grown, and no matter how many board members try to rewrite that history- Solich wasn't getting it done.

We tried the flashy NFL coach and that was a disaster.

We tried the hot coordinator, ready to be an HC, that even had Husker ties, and that worked for a while but hit the ceiling and it was time to move on.

We tried the nice guy with so endless experience, that just needed to be in a program with better resources to win. That one sucked bad!

The Frost hire checks all the boxes. I'm all in. Not sure about bringing the entire asst staff in but right now I'm cool with it.

I think there will be some lumps, some good coaches will move on, some will be blamed by the fan base when their units struggle. Frost will probably have to occasionally fire a buddy. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Most coaches that are coaching right now didn't start off at P5 schools:

Nick Saban - Toledo

Urban Meyer - Illinois State, Bowling Green

Mike Leach - Coached at Cal Poly, College of the Desert (Whaaaaa?!?), Pori Bears (Whaaaaaa??!!??!?), Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State prior to getting his first P5 Job.

Gus Malzahn - Coached High School Football, Toledo prior to his Arkansas Tenure

hmmm not sure the whole P5 thing was my main focus of the post-of course "most coaches" didn't start off at P5 schools (I'll assume most of Rileys crew didn't start off at P5 schools) the point other people seemed to make is that because they don't have much experience that could be an issue- the P5 thing was just an extension to that view that I added. nice background information on Leach though

38 minutes ago, macroboy said:

As for the 'No Block, No Rock' that stuff plays great with a blue collar pound the rock mentality and it caters to a fan base with glory days based in running the ball. I wonder how it plays with elite receiver recruits?

And here is why I don’t get the cries for wideouts, at least in this stage of the rebuild.  To start being successful within the conference we must pound the rock and defend against it. That is all. 

4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

And here is why I don’t get the cries for wideouts, at least in this stage of the rebuild.  To start being successful within the conference we must pound the rock and defend against it. That is all. 

Honestly, if coaches have to adjust their ideals to reel in “stud recruits at WR” then those recruits aren’t worth bringing in.  WR’s are asked to block at every level of football. 

39 minutes ago, macroboy said:

I could be wrong but it probably has more do with the fact he and his staff took over a program that was 0-12 two years ago and went undefeated in his second season. Taking a G5 school to a New Years Day bowl with the big boys. Would you rather he come in and try to put together a bunch of strangers from scratch?

I'm ecstatic he was able to bring his entire staff including some support personnel. They will be able to hit the ground running and won't have to wait for a bunch of guys thrown together to get to know each other, gel (or start in-fighting and back stabbing as seen before) and learn the system they are going to teach.

It has been a while since we've had a truly cohesive staff IMHO and from all that we have heard these coaches work together as a unit very well and I believe the results will be seen on the field in fairly short order.

• Plus1 2