Healthcare Reform

28 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

He is having the surgery done at a private hospital that he is paying cash for.  This particular hospital is not part of the "socialized" healthcare system of Canada.

The hypocrisy is there for reasons other than Canadian vs American health care systems

But it actually is still apart of the system. They take government money for their Canadian patient. His only out is that it's supposedly one of the best hernia centers in the world.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, ZRod said:

But it actually is still apart of the system. They take government money for their Canadian patient. His only out is that it's supposedly one of the best hernia centers in the world.

So a Canadian hospital is actually the best in the world, but we keep hearing how single-payer will make America's medical system worse. Hmmm...

• Plus1 4
18 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's choosing to take the money.  It's not forced to do so.  But I understand what you're saying.

Ultimately I think Rand is choosing to go there to add to the drama of his ordeal and knows his attacker will eventually pay for everything.  So why not go to a wold renowned place for a simple procedure?

• 3 weeks later...

This is really interesting.  I fully support Trump's efforts in this area.  What Americans pay compared to the rest of the world is total BS.  This crap behind the scenes has got to stop in our healthcare industry.

Another part of this that I find very interesting.  Trump has been praised by his supporters highly because of DEREGULATION!!!!!  We are freeing up American industry from the chains of government regulations.

Fast forward.....how do we lower drug prices???  More regulation.

Am I the only one that gets some sadistic pleasure out of reading about the insurance and drug industries crying and complaining?

• Plus1 3

I saw a report on this over the weekend.  I'm really interested in seeing more on this but this was really the only article I found in it this morning.

Montana Healthcare Experiment

The approach began two years ago after state lawmakers directed Montana's Health Care and Benefits Division to control increasing costs. Montana's state workers' health plan had been starting with the hospital's list price and then negotiating discounts, but the state instead started giving hospitals a "reference price" for how much it would pay for hospital services, according to the report. The reference price is based on Medicare rates and is generally an average of 234 percent of those rates.

The change was designed to cut costs and reduce disparities in the amounts hospitals charge state employees for the same service, KHN reported. So far, Montana has seen growth in its reserve fund and is saving $15.6 million this year over the estimate of what it would have paid without the change.

When they started this experiment, I think the report said they were paying something like 600% of Medicare rates.

Gee....I wonder if this would help Nebraska's budget problems.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I saw a report on this over the weekend.  I'm really interested in seeing more on this but this was really the only article I found in it this morning.

Montana Healthcare Experiment

When they started this experiment, I think the report said they were paying something like 600% of Medicare rates.

Gee....I wonder if this would help Nebraska's budget problems.

The fact that medical providers can charge two different people two totally different amounts for the same office visit, procedure, etc. merely based on what insurance plan they have (or don't have, in some cases) is mind-boggling. I mean, imagine if you and I were in the market for the exact same 2019 new car (Husker red, of course) and I was charged $4,000 less than you just because I have Nationwide insurance and you have State Farm.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

The fact that medical providers can charge two different people two totally different amounts for the same office visit, procedure, etc. merely based on what insurance plan they have (or don't have, in some cases) is mind-boggling. I mean, imagine if you and I were in the market for the exact same 2019 new car (Husker red, of course) and I was charged $4,000 less than you just because I have Nationwide insurance and you have State Farm.

I agree.  I can see a little bit of difference.  For instance, if I'm coming in and paying cash for a procedure, I would understand me getting a price break because the entire billing process wouldn't need to go through 10 different people at insurance companies, billing agents....etc.

BUT...when I'm getting billed 600% (or even 234%)  more than someone on Medicare......You have got to friggen be kidding me....

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  I can see a little bit of difference.  For instance, if I'm coming in and paying cash for a procedure, I would understand me getting a price break because the entire billing process wouldn't need to go through 10 different people at insurance companies, billing agents....etc.

BUT...when I'm getting billed 600% (or even 234%)  more than someone on Medicare......You have got to friggen be kidding me....

The reason that is though is you are paying for the Medicare patient or the uninsured person the hospital takes.

19 minutes ago, RavHuskr said:

The reason that is though is you are paying for the Medicare patient or the uninsured person the hospital takes.

There is some of that.  But, that doesn't explain the entire issue.

Right now, we are paying around 2-3 times for the exact same procedures, drugs, hospital stays...etc. as other developed countries who have single payer plans.  AND...on top of that, our healthcare system is less effective.  THAT is unacceptable.  

U.S. health spending twice other countries' with worse results

I'm also not thinking what you said is the main factor in our higher healthcare costs due to this quote from this article.

Health Care Spending in the United States and Other High-Income Countries

The U.S. has lower rates of insurance coverage. While health coverage in the U.S. has risen to 90 percent since enactment of the Affordable Care Act, every other high-income country has achieved coverage for at least 99 percent of its population.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I was going to add an uninsured scenario to my car example, but then I realized in most places you can't buy a car without proof of insurance.  I'm having a serious case of The Mondays. 

I'm pretty sure this is what happened when BCBS and CHI couldn't come to an agreement a few years back. BCBS refused to sign a new contract for their customers to be in-network with CHI because CHI was charging exorbitantly high rates with little justification. I remember it was a pretty big deal when that happened since it affected so many people.

As with much when it comes to health insurance and pharmaceuticals, unfortunately, too many entities jack up rates that wind up screwing the system to make a buck for themselves... just because they can.

• Plus1 1