The 75/25 Rule

TGHusker

3 hours ago, Redux said:

No, I disagree.  Practice doesn't make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  You can practice half assed and guess what, you'll be half assed during execution.  The percentage should be 100%/100%.

The current staff likes perfection, so yes preparation will be huge.

I think the " practice half arsed" part was used a lot the past three years. 

I don't agree at all with that equation.

I could prepare my ass off and execute everything I learned while preparing and my presence on the field would make it really difficult for my team to win because I'm not as strong or fast or athletic as they are.

So no, that's not the equation. There are other things involved like talent, opponent talent, and willpower.

Edited by Moiraine
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I don't agree at all with that equation.

I could prepare my ass off and execute everything I learned while preparing and my presence on the field would make it really difficult for my team to win because I'm not as strong or fast or athletic as they are.

So no, that's not the equation. There are other things involved like talent, opponent talent, and willpower.

I think it is assumed you have sufficient talent to compete at a high level.  But talent (athletic ability and the physical attributes necessary to excell in the tasks involved) is NOT sufficient to win.   You must practice and prepare in order to execute and use that talent successfully.  Practice makes perfect when one is capable of the activity concerned.  No matter how athletic an Olympic women's gymnast is, she will not likely be a great football player in the NFL due to obvious deficiencies such as height, weight, strength, etc.  Still, if that gymnast practiced football skiills as many years and hours as she did in gymnastics, she would have been a pretty fair football player when competing against her peers.  

If you don't practice enough, you will not be successful.   

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But that isn't the case in college football. There is a LOT of disparity in talent levels of the teams.

Actually, I don’t think generally there is significant disparity in talent at the D1 level and, where there is, yes of course that plays a role in the teams success. But this is really a whole different issue and does not negate the obvious need and benefit of preparation. I mean even a team with talent like Bama can struggle with a lower level opponent if that team has prepared well and the other just relies on their talent. They may win the game but I would guarantee that teams that don’t prepare well will execute more poorly in games. It’s so obvious it probably doesn’t deserve to be said. That was the MO of Osborne teams, prepare and work in practice to the point the games were a walk in the park compared to practice. It’s invaluable.

14 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Actually, I don’t think generally there is significant disparity in talent at the D1 level and, where there is, yes of course that plays a role in the teams success. But this is really a whole different issue and does not negate the obvious need and benefit of preparation. I mean even a team with talent like Bama can struggle with a lower level opponent if that team has prepared well and the other just relies on their talent. They may win the game but I would guarantee that teams that don’t prepare well will execute more poorly in games. It’s so obvious it probably doesn’t deserve to be said. That was the MO of Osborne teams, prepare and work in practice to the point the games were a walk in the park compared to practice. It’s invaluable.

Agreed :thumbs

• Plus1 1

I think the biggest disparity in talent level across college teams comes in the form of depth.  There are going to be talented kids on almost every college player.  That's why we see the NFL Draft have guys drafted from all over college football.  The main difference is when there are injuries, suspensions, or overall substitutions come into play where DEPTH matters.  Alabama lost a number of guys from their defense last year, but they kept chugging along at a good enough pace, until they got some of those guys back for the bowl game.

• Plus1 2
On 1/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, Redux said:

No, I disagree.  Practice doesn't make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  You can practice half assed and guess what, you'll be half assed during execution.  The percentage should be 100%/100%.

The current staff likes perfection, so yes preparation will be huge.

Interesting note about this. For speed oriented tasks, you're supposed to train doing it fast first and doing it accurately second. 

On 1/23/2018 at 11:01 AM, TGHusker said:

I heard it said the other day that winning or success in general is "75% preparation and 25% execution". 

Some questions to consider:

1. Do you agree with this rule?

2. If so, how do you believe the current staff will be measured against this rule (will they show it to be true and succeed or fail)? 

3. Do you believe they will be better in the preparation phase

than  previous staffs  post TO era?  If so what signs do you see now (or don't see) to justify your answer?

Edit: Don't get hung up on the % but rather the concept that success follows prep work an execution is only as good as that prep work.  Prep includes S&C, film work, practice all pre-kickoff stuff. Will this staff be better than previous staffs at NU and if so, how will it be reflected on the field during game day (execution).

Fun  question for slow days.

1)  Yea I do, I  figure execution will flow directly from preparation.  That said it is on the coach to prepared perfectly for the perfect thing.  For all I know Bob Diaco was great at preparing he just prepared for the wrong thing (perhaps flag instead of tackle football).

2) They will be measured (at least by me) on the results:  Do they win.     All the little stuff are the inputs the success recipe that we get to kick around here as we try to predict what the success rate will be.   

3)  I think they will be better ........... the bowl win was a great example of this.  By the end of the year the team knew what they needed to do, they knew what was expected so the team was running like a machine. This allowed Frost Inc.  to come in ready to roll and win as if they had been doing nothing but preparing for the game.  Add that this a smart staff (preparing for the right things) and boom you have success.  

1 hour ago, Huskerzoo said:

Interesting note about this. For speed oriented tasks, you're supposed to train doing it fast first and doing it accurately second. 

For most, doing something correctly is harder than doing it faster.  We can have plenty of fast receivers, for example, but if they can't run the route/catch/shift what good is being able to outrun the guy?

29 minutes ago, mnhusker said:

Fun  question for slow days.

1)  Yea I do, I  figure execution will flow directly from preparation.  That said it is on the coach to prepared perfectly for the perfect thing.  For all I know Bob Diaco was great at preparing he just prepared for the wrong thing (perhaps flag instead of tackle football).

2) They will be measured (at least by me) on the results:  Do they win.     All the little stuff are the inputs the success recipe that we get to kick around here as we try to predict what the success rate will be.   

3)  I think they will be better ........... the bowl win was a great example of this.  By the end of the year the team knew what they needed to do, they knew what was expected so the team was running like a machine. This allowed Frost Inc.  to come in ready to roll and win as if they had been doing nothing but preparing for the game.  Add that this a smart staff (preparing for the right things) and boom you have success.  

The Bold :P :lol:& :bang:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

For most, doing something correctly is harder than doing it faster.  We can have plenty of fast receivers, for example, but if they can't run the route/catch/shift what good is being able to outrun the guy?

I'm with you, I don't fully understand why this effect is true. I'm just familiar with the research finding. I was studying this stuff when Frost was announced and so his quote about everything happening fast caught my eye. It might take me a bit, but if you're interested in it, I can probably find the studies that information comes from. 

46 minutes ago, Redux said:

But playing fast and with speed can make up for "not doing things correctly".  Terrell Farley wasn't originally a starter because he didn't "know the defense" and he wouldn't do what he was supposed to do in a given defense.  However, he was so fast and made so many plays, that he couldn't be kept off the field.  The same thing happened with Lavonte David.

There is a kid on my son's baseball team who plays a lot of outfield.  Now, he doesn't pay attention all the time, gets terrible jumps on balls hit off the bat, and doesn't always take the best routes to the ball, but he makes a lot of plays because he has the pure speed to make the play.

The best thing is when you have the combination of speed and smarts, but it doesn't always happen.