Frost’s QB Room

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Just passing along some "speculation" from someone on another Husker forum with an acquaintance close to program that Martinez has performed better in live scrimmages and will get the nod. We should know shortly. 

Just like he did when we were allowed to watch. 

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As someone else mentioned, Newcombe often looked hesitant, and even with that blazing speed and greenlight to run, he only averaged 2.7 yards a carry.  And yeah, perhaps he avoided hits, unlike the guy who replaced him. So in the end Newcombe wasn't a great decision maker, the number one job of the QB. 

Newcombe came to NU as the next Johnny Rodgers. Knowing he'd played QB in HS, everyone wanted to see Newcombe handling the ball as much as possible. So expectations were way high, and it turned out Newcombe was better off as a blazing fast return man and receiver. That was probably evident even without Eric Crouch behind him. 

I will never forget that 1999 punt return for a TD. Bobby Newcombe literally saved our tail that night.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

What if he goes with Martinez and he doesn't live up to the hype...and Gebbia has to come in to make things hum?

Martinez will probably struggle as a true freshman but unless he shows that he truly doesn’t have “it” most won’t be disappointed. If he is supplanted by Gebbia only because TG is playing better then we can look forward to next year when Martinez improves on whatever he needs to. 

10 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

But I hitched my horse to Bunch already and I've already dropped out of the 'you were right all along' group.  So please answer again?

Well, then you truly are lost and may God have mercy on your soul. All kidding aside, I too thought Bunch at one point was going to be the guy but that might've been my DBS.

Damon Benning Syndrome.

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

B1G going to have several freshman QBs this year....

We are not Rutgers. We don't announce our starting QB before everyone else does! Maybe Martinez and Gebbia both start at the same time and both throw the ball together in unison. New trick play. Never been done before.