Frost’s QB Room

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've seen some pretty slow quarterbacks lumber for 8 yards and a first down when the defense plays too soft. 

Unfortunately, this mostly happened against Nebraska.

But blazing speed isn't necessary to have a killer dual threat quarterback. It's still field vision, instinct, and decision making. 

I'm good with the 63% passer who lumbers for 8 yards and a first down when given the chance. 

(I'm good with blazing speed, too)

It's a tough question, really. Our fast QB's were the ones who either won us championships or were on the cusp of it if you consider recent history -- only one of them was not like the others.

Taylor Martinez 2010 & 2012 CCG's

Zach Taylor 2006 B12 CCG

Eric Crouch 99 Big 12 champs, 2002 BCS championship game

Scott Frost 1997 B12 champs, 1997 NC

Tommie Frazier 1992, 1993 1994, 1995 Big 8 champs, 1993 OB NC game, 1994 NC, 1995 NC

The guys who didn't get us to a championship game? Notice I only list the guys who started mostly during their tenure.

Jammal Lord

Joe Dailey

Sam Keller

Joe Ganz

Zac Lee

Tommy Armstrong

Tanner Lee

Only Joe Ganz IMO was more like a Frost QB. Quick thinker, good arm to distribute the ball to everyone around him, quick feet, and efficient.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've seen some pretty slow quarterbacks lumber for 8 yards and a first down when the defense plays too soft. 

Unfortunately, this mostly happened against Nebraska.

But blazing speed isn't necessary to have a killer dual threat quarterback. It's still field vision, instinct, and decision making. 

I'm good with the 63% passer who lumbers for 8 yards and a first down when given the chance. 

(I'm good with blazing speed, too)

I still think Frost can get more out of guys who are adequate passers where that can be coachable. Speed is not really something you can coach, it's a gift. Look, the other Martinez is a good example. He had 2 shots at winning a conference championship and he didn't have a laser like arm but holy cow he was at 80% speed at his 3rd step.

I think Frost could have gotten more out of Tommy Armstrong than Pelini or Riley. I think Frost could have helped us over the hump with Taylor Martinez and maybe we win the 2010/2012 CCG's.

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, FTW said:

I still think Frost can get more out of guys who are adequate passers where that can be coachable. Speed is not really something you can coach, it's a gift. Look, the other Martinez is a good example. He had 3 shots at winning a conference championship and he didn't have a laser like arm but holy cow he was at 80% speed at his 3rd step.

I think Frost could have gotten more out of Tommy Armstrong than Pelini or Riley. I think Frost could have helped us over the hump with Taylor Martinez and maybe we win the 2010/2012 CCG's.

I think a lot of our quarterbacks could have gone farther if they were backed by the kind of defense Frost and Frazier enjoyed. 

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

It means you dont have to have elite speed to have big runs if the defense isn't expecting it and the right play is called or read is made.  Gebbia is plenty fast from what he has showed in scrimmages 

Our defense has been real suspect since the 2010 season.

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think a lot of our quarterbacks could have gone farther if they were backed by the kind of defense Frost and Frazier enjoyed. 

I agree with you 100% but then again Osborne was the play caller and offensive mastermind sort of like Frost now. Don't think we go undefeated let alone make it to a NC game with an anemic offense. And that's what this thread is mostly about Offense/Quarterbacks.

56 minutes ago, FTW said:

I agree with you 100% but then again Osborne was the play caller and offensive mastermind sort of like Frost now. Don't think we go undefeated let alone make it to a NC game with an anemic offense. And that's what this thread is mostly about Offense/Quarterbacks.

I thought Taylor Martinez running the read option with Rex Burkhead and passing for 200+ a game was a pretty exciting offense. The Tommy Armstrong led offense against USC in 2014 showed a lot of firepower, too. 

But an offense already prone to turnovers can't afford to play from behind, and the Husker defense often added more pressure than it relieved. 

They do go hand in hand. If Tommy Frazier or Scott Frost had the 2007, 2014 or 2018 defenses behind them, we're not talking about Frazier or Frost today.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I thought Taylor Martinez running the read option with Rex Burkhead and passing for 200+ a game was a pretty exciting offense. The Tommy Armstrong led offense against USC in 2014 showed a lot of firepower, too. 

But an offense already prone to turnovers can't afford to play from behind, and the Husker defense often added more pressure than it relieved. 

They do go hand in hand. If Tommy Frazier or Scott Frost had the 2007, 2014 or 2018 defenses behind them, we're not talking about Frazier or Frost today.

We might be complaining about how bad their accuracy was, and if they were in closer games they would have had to throw more.

And talking about former Husker QBs, I would think it would be interesting to see Huskerboard members offer their opinions of which former NU QBs Scott Frost would like to recruit for his offense today.

In my view, based on the offense we showed in the spring game and last year's UCF bowl game, I think Frost would most like to recruit:

1.  Bobby Newcombe

2.  Steve Taylor

3.  Tuner Gill

4.  Gerry Godowski

I don't think he would recruit Crouch or Frazier or T Martinez (inadequate in the passing game).

Not sure there are any others.  Frankly I doubt he would recruit himself as he was not as fast or as good a thrower as he would like, although his size and strength and coach-like football mind would have made it very tempting.  

I think he is looking for a very good runner with excellent passing skills and 'touch' and a sharp football mind that is 6-3 and 230 pounds.  A. Martinez is the perfect size and runner but time will reveal if he has the throwing and football coach understanding and quick decision making needed.  

Newcombe is undersized but his blazing speed and beautiful passing and option skills and great QB intelligence would have been ideal.

6 hours ago, Undone said:

And again, it's about making the reads in this offense.

There are some crazy motions, formations, and movement in this playbook. When the play is executed correctly, the defense is exposed, and if the QB makes the right read the exposure gets exploited. 

I can't wait to see Frost open up the field for Morgan, Spielman, Lindsey, Mike Williams, & Co. 

This is so true and exciting - crazy thing is that i'm sure UCF would have had additional plays added in year 3 if SF was still there.  How different will year 5 at NU be from 2018 - then again, how different will 2018 be from 2017.

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

And talking about former Husker QBs, I would think it would be interesting to see Huskerboard members offer their opinions of which former NU QBs Scott Frost would like to recruit for his offense today.

In my view, based on the offense we showed in the spring game and last year's UCF bowl game, I think Frost would most like to recruit:

1.  Bobby Newcombe

2.  Steve Taylor

3.  Tuner Gill

4.  Gerry Godowski

I don't think he would recruit Crouch or Frazier or T Martinez (inadequate in the passing game).

Not sure there are any others.  Frankly I doubt he would recruit himself as he was not as fast or as good a thrower as he would like, although his size and strength and coach-like football mind would have made it very tempting.  

I think he is looking for a very good runner with excellent passing skills and 'touch' and a sharp football mind that is 6-3 and 230 pounds.  A. Martinez is the perfect size and runner but time will reveal if he has the throwing and football coach understanding and quick decision making needed.  

Newcombe is undersized but his blazing speed and beautiful passing and option skills and great QB intelligence would have been ideal.

Bobby Newcombe had every chance to exhibit his blazing speed, passing and option skills, and QB intelligence in a well-stocked offense designed just for him, and it still didn't work out.

Good athlete. Not a good QB. It happens. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bobby Newcombe had every chance to exhibit his blazing speed, passing and option skills, and QB intelligence in a well-stocked offense designed just for him, and it still didn't work out.

Good athlete. Not a good QB. It happens. 

I thought he danced around way too much. That's what I remember from him as QB.

• Plus1 1