Frost’s QB Room

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bobby Newcombe had every chance to exhibit his blazing speed, passing and option skills, and QB intelligence in a well-stocked offense designed just for him, and it still didn't work out.

Good athlete. Not a good QB. It happens. 

He got surpassed by a pretty damned good QB. 

That happens. 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Say what ever you want about speed.  The UCF game vs Auburn changed, at least from an offensive standpoint,  when Milton started hitting throws midway through the first half.

The RPO was working plus Milton was moving the chains with his feet. He did run for a buck 16. Those roll out plays were deadly. Auburn was vulnerable in the secondary once they started bringing them closer to the LOS. His tough scrambling opened up some passing lanes and it paid off. 

UCF had some home run hitters while Milton was getting base hit after base hit. I'm ok with that if that's what Gebbia or Martinez is asked to do. I'd rather have a great passer and good scrambler than a great scrambler and ok passer. I like balance because a defense can completely forget about the QB's running ability.

On a side note, Milton was his Mariota so I think that is what Frost is looking for. I just think Martinez has the physical acumen to run his offense. I'm only basing this on what I saw in the spring game and from what I've seen and read in the media since. It appears the offense competes better when the ball is in his hands. He's gotten bigger and stronger up to 220 lbs. That tells me he's taking this seriously. I'm sure the coaches are aware of the effort and progress he's put in. IMO, it's his job to lose.

• Plus1 2

TRUE FRESHMAN QBS EVERYWHERE

It’s hard to say "X number of true freshman QBs will start Week 1,” because each school’s situation and philosophy of bringing them along differs greatly. That said, there will be plenty of true freshman making an impact. By season’s end I’d expect Trevor Lawrence (Clemson), Adrian Martinez (Nebraska), JT Daniels (USC) and Arthur Sitkowski (Rutgers) to have all started a significant amount of time for their teams. That’s not even counting Minnesota walk-on Zack Annexstad, who’s already been named the Gophers’ starting QB. We’ve seen a large number of true freshman QBs make an impact nationally over the last few years. Don’t expect that to change in 2018.

Wiltfong

20 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

And talking about former Husker QBs, I would think it would be interesting to see Huskerboard members offer their opinions of which former NU QBs Scott Frost would like to recruit for his offense today.

In my view, based on the offense we showed in the spring game and last year's UCF bowl game, I think Frost would most like to recruit:

1.  Bobby Newcombe

2.  Steve Taylor

3.  Tuner Gill

4.  Gerry Godowski

I don't think he would recruit Crouch or Frazier or T Martinez (inadequate in the passing game).

Not sure there are any others.  Frankly I doubt he would recruit himself as he was not as fast or as good a thrower as he would like, although his size and strength and coach-like football mind would have made it very tempting.  

I think he is looking for a very good runner with excellent passing skills and 'touch' and a sharp football mind that is 6-3 and 230 pounds.  A. Martinez is the perfect size and runner but time will reveal if he has the throwing and football coach understanding and quick decision making needed.  

Newcombe is undersized but his blazing speed and beautiful passing and option skills and great QB intelligence would have been ideal.

I do think Crouch and Frazier would be recruited. Chances are if they were playing in H.S. right now, then they would be more advanced in the passing game as the quality of QB coaching in high school has improved dramatically, as has the passing game overall. I coach at a small school and we see teams that spread the field and try to throw it all over the place several times a year. In all honesty our offense is an anomaly compared to what we see around here anymore. 

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No matter who it is, they’ve been made better by this competition. 

Best way way to simulate pressure in practice. 

Totally agree. To have 2 good quarterbacks is a positive. I can only hope that gives the rest of the team some optimism. They can play with ruthless aggression knowing if one guy goes down the one backing him up will carry on. I imagine this is part of the culture coach Frost is trying to implement.

When your brother goes down, you've got to be ready to step up for him and the rest of the team. My concern is that none of our QB's have game experience. Nothing against Tanner Lee but he was known as a practice MVP. He even looked good for NFL scouts but when the lights come on, he becomes a lost deer.

So IMO, Ann Arbor is going to be the real big test for whoever our starting QB is. That's a game you simply won't be able to simulate in a practice setting. Who ever is efficient and makes less mistakes will hold onto the #1 spot.

On 8/22/2018 at 8:08 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bobby Newcombe had every chance to exhibit his blazing speed, passing and option skills, and QB intelligence in a well-stocked offense designed just for him, and it still didn't work out.

Good athlete. Not a good QB. It happens. 

How much of that was him not being good vs the guy that beat him out was incredible

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, melscott62 said:

How much of that was him not being good vs the guy that beat him out was incredible

As someone else mentioned, Newcombe often looked hesitant, and even with that blazing speed and greenlight to run, he only averaged 2.7 yards a carry.  And yeah, perhaps he avoided hits, unlike the guy who replaced him. So in the end Newcombe wasn't a great decision maker, the number one job of the QB. 

Newcombe came to NU as the next Johnny Rodgers. Knowing he'd played QB in HS, everyone wanted to see Newcombe handling the ball as much as possible. So expectations were way high, and it turned out Newcombe was better off as a blazing fast return man and receiver. That was probably evident even without Eric Crouch behind him.