Frost’s QB Room

Second, and the most impressive, is Martinez’s tight progression.  Most true freshmen at this stage are still trying to figure out which side they’re supposed to read first.  Forget the next level of timing the footwork to the routes or even working to the third progression.  Martinez, however, isn’t most true freshmen.  He perfectly marries his feet to the progression, first reading the high/low, bouncing to the cross, and then delivering the ball to McQuitty on the backside post with no wasted steps.  

Plays like this are one reason I think Martinez will end up winning the starting job in 2018.  He’s an obvious threat in the running game, but he has a level of sophistication in the passing game far beyond his meager experience.  Based on what we saw in the Spring Game, it looks like the Huskers’ offense is in good hands for the next four years, both from the man calling plays and the guy on the field making them go.  Saints will be a big part of that relationship.

From a great article breaking down Frost’s concept of the “Saints” concept (shown briefly at the Spring Game. )https://huskerchalktalk.com/2018/04/25/concept-wednesday-saints-play-action/#more-12425

• Plus1 3

I think I just realized why Frost waits until Sunday to announce his starting QB: He knows the story has national interest and he wants the Cornhuskers to be relevant in football again. So why release it when there are college games going on and postgame stories competing for pushing the Husker news off the news feed faster? Releasing it on a (pre-NFL game day) Sunday maximizes national attention to the story (and that includes potential recruits).

As a side point, I find Frost’s “leak control” to be very impressive.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, cheekygeek said:

I think I just realized why Frost waits until Sunday to announce his starting QB: He knows the story has national interest and he wants the Cornhuskers to be relevant in football again. So why release it when there are college games going on and postgame stories competing for pushing the Husker news off the news feed faster? Releasing it on a (pre-NFL game day) Sunday maximizes national attention to the story (and that includes potential recruits).

As a side point, I find Frost’s “leak control” to be very impressive.

i don't think he is looking for big press on this at all........

• Plus1 3

13 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I think I just realized why Frost waits until Sunday to announce his starting QB: He knows the story has national interest and he wants the Cornhuskers to be relevant in football again.

No, I don't think so. I believe he's doing it to push both guys as hard as he can - which pays big dividends  very quickly for the team as we prepare for the season - and also keeps the motivation level high for the guy who doesn't get the job that he can work hard and change the coaches' minds as the season goes on if the need arises.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

No, I don't think so. I believe he's doing it to push both guys as hard as he can - which pays big dividends  very quickly for the team as we prepare for the season - and also keeps the motivation level high for the guy who doesn't get the job that he can work hard and change the coaches' minds as the season goes on if the need arises.

I think the plan is going to be to stick with AM through the ups and downs now that they have picked a starter.

5 minutes ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

I really hope Gebbia hangs in there and sticks with us. I really like the kid even though it’s obvious that long-term AM fits this offense the best.   

But, with McCaffrey en route, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Gebbia take off at some point unless something crazy happens.  

It would be nice if he stayed but he’s probably good enough to start at a DI program and so it would probably be best for him to do that if he thinks he has a shot at the NFL.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Undone said:

This argument has merit up until he has told both players of his decision. This clearly happened before the Boneyard on Saturday. My explanation addresses a possible motive for not also making the announcement public on Saturday.